Hello All,

I am a novice photographer and was wondering if there are any photo clubs /

groups in New Orleans. I am doing a photo course with NYI of Photography but I

am not entirely satisfied not being able to discuss various possibilities with live

people. So far I'm ashamed to say, is that I still take better pictures on fully auto.

I have a 40D and various lenses.

Cheers,

Alan

the important thin is to really look at the scene. to watch when you do not have your camera and try to see and understand light and contrast of a scene.

an auto-everything camera is not the worst thing. you can concentrate on facial expressions and positions of the subjects.

you have to make an effort to really SEE, for example if there were electric wires in a landscape., how you could move around to eliminate or reduce and conflicts with what you are photographing. Or in other words, be sure there isn't a tree growing out of someones head. Just learn to see.

years ago the failures were technical, forget to remove dark-slide or improperly loading film so it never advances.

My particular problem is that my eyes are poor and it is often hard to focus a MF camera.

I'm in BR, and and a complete novice aspiring to be amateur. For me, getting to NO on a regular basis is difficult right now, but I'd be happy to talk on a moe live basis - IM, or what not.

I need more time to process & post images . . .

There's no shame in using full auto! And there's no shame in asking questions, no matter how basic. Most photographers I know love to share their expertise.

I agree with Mr. Degroot: Learn to "see" first...then begin working on your technical skills.There are many, many references available to help you. This site is a prime example.

So, hold your head up! Get to know the world around you. Continue taking photos; on Auto if need be. Then, as your vision increases, so will your ability to identify those technical issues you need to study.

Good luck and keep shooting!

Hi, Alan

I'm from New Orleans too. Lived there all my life until hurricane Katrina forced me out.

Back in 1987+ I took 3 photography courses at the University of New Orleans. I'm not sure what their post Katrina curriculum is, but you may want to check it out.