Photographers who influeneced the most your work

I am wondering how much you follow the work of great photogrpahers and how much

it influences your way of taking pictures. My biggest influences so far have

been Antoine D'Agata, Ralph Gibson and Trent Parke, concerning rangefinder

photos. I'd like to know yours.<div>00Pf9v-46343584.jpg.ce04453e6a524b6ced290ac31d05c1ea.jpg</div>

James Nachtwey, Jay Maisel, Irving Penn, Gregory Heisler, Edward Weston, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Elliot Erwitt, Jodi Cobb, Mary Ellen Mark, Arthur Meyerson, Robert Adams, W, Eugene Smith, Pete Turner, Eric meola, Eugene Richards, Ezra Stoller, Diane Arbus, Jack Dykinga, Christopher Campbell, and Ellis Vener

I cannot say that I am conscious of their work when making my own photographs as one ofthings I try to do is when composing a photo is to ask myself if I have ever seen it or something very similar to it and then try to make somethign different.

Why did I put myself on a list of luminaries? Because what you did yesterday, greatly influences what you'll do today and tomorrow.

Andreas Feininger. As a kid his then-recent books taught me to see photography as more than a way to make snapshots of my family and vacations.

Later, Weegee, whose photography reflected my preference in painting for Toulouse Lautrec. I aspired to the level of artistry of Avedon and Penn but never made it.

If I'd been aware of Winogrand, he'd have been among my influences. Ironically, I might very well have passed him on the streets in NYC when I was a kid and not known it. I didn't know what "street photography" was, I just enjoyed wandering around the city taking snapshots of the people and general weirdness of the city. Found out later I was prowling the same neighborhoods he did at the same time.

I too am not consciously aware of any specific photographer's influence on my work. When I first got into photography in 1974, I subscribed to Modern Photography and Popular Photography. I also went to the library and looked through many photography books. There were so many photographers that no one stood out for me. Instead, I gradually decided on a "look" or style that worked for me and I've pretty much stuck with it (generally speaking).

I should say that when I got interested in black & white photography, I was influenced to use the Zone System by Ansel Adams, Fred Picker, and Minor White.

Brett Weston and Imogen Cunningham are two photographers who's work I feel had an impact on my vision, and consequently own photographic style. Various works of those who's names I no longer remember also affected my vision to a greater or lesser extent, as have innumerable artists working with non-photographic materials...

- Randy

John Shaw - because his books were the first I bought when I started self-educating myself and realized that landscape photography was what interested me most.

Soon after that my older brother gave me Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light" and that sealed the deal for me with Galen as well.

I'm a big fan of Ansel Adams, but I would not say he is my influence. I think my work is influenced by any photographers (amateur & pro) whose work I see. I do not try to duplicate any styles, but looking at other photographers' works give me ideas on composing images, and sometimes they help me to choose a subject to photograph.

First, and without doubt, Erich Salomon who invented the kind of work we now deride as that of the Paparazzi. But when he was doing it, his Ermanox took glass plates! He later switched to Leica.

Second, W. Eugene Smith whose amassed works still have not yet been fully exhibited or published.

Third, it's a tossup between Adams and Weston.

I don't think I HAVE been excessively influenced by anyone in particular. In terms of style and subject, I'm still all over the place, even though I've been a professional photographer in the past, and have been involved in photography in some way for 40+ years.

Maybe that's why I'm only now starting to get good. For me, getting better has been a struggle, and I'm afraid the struggle isn't over yet.

Purely on how much my own photography has been influenced... Rene Staud, Bill Brandt, Markus Arias Rohner, Michael Ezra, George Hurrell, Regis Lefebure, Lee Miller, Lois Klemantaski,... and some more. If I think of Irvin Penn, he is defintiely among the best, but has he influenced me? Not really.<p>

Considering the impact on how I use, or better, how I try to use light I'd also list some painters like Caravagio, Rembrandt, Rubens, Goya, ...<p>

Of the fellow Finnish photogs I'd list Pekka Potka and Kira Gluschkoff. I try to learn, be influenced from Robert Perander but my skills aren't really up to that story telling level.

Though I have my favorite photographers like W. Eugene Smith, Adams, Weston and Stieglitz (with his victims, er, associates) the two photographers who actually influenced me were Mario and Mabel Scacheri. They wrote "The Fun of Photography" in 1938, and my mom found me a copy in the early '70s when I was a teenager. Though sometimes corny, the book told one how to make decent photographs in plain and simple language. I find their outlook and advice as good today as it was then.