Photoshop vs Elements

Recently bought a 40D with a 10-22 and the package lense 28-135. I'm ready to

start playing with computer software. Since I'm just an amateur getting back into

photography, I want software that will let me adjust photos but something I can

grow with as well. Should I go ahead and get Photoshop or should I just get

Elements for now. I'm not sure what the difference is except $500.00. :)

Obviously there is a lot of difference. I have the ability to take some classes at

the local community college and learn photoshop. I plan on doing that anyway.

So what can I do with photoshop that I can't do with elements. I know that could

take a long time to explain, so just the high points will work. Thank you for any

help.

Photoshop is for editors and graphic designers who prepare and condition photos for publishing, say in magazines and such. Large files, powerfull computers, all paid by customers. If you are to shoot for yourself and frends, display on common PC skreen, maybe print few copies on jetprinter or in local shop you probably not going to use your $500 investment in this case.

I'm considering buying Photoshop. I am currently useing the trial version. Does Elements have all the normal tools (levels, curves, highlights, etc.)? Does it have RAW convertion, Black and White, and HDR? Thanks

Elements 5 would be fine to use. CS3 would also be fine and has more features. Just assess what you can afford and your interest in photography. These two photoshop programs have a plug-in available for the 40D so that you can open the RAW files. Here is the download web sight.

One other thing is adobe will make CS3 yesterdays news before long. CS4 is probably not that far away and will have some better features. It's the upgrade game and it's expensive to play. .

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3736

PSE 6 is very well featured for the price. Download the trial and have a look. If you want to spend more money Lightroom makes more sense than CS3. Catalogs all your shots, keeps the originals safe, batch process, copy and paste adjustments... very fast and handy RAW workflow (works for jpgs too). For local edits PSE works fine and depending on your style you may notice that you don't actually need to edit that much after Lightroom.

I just downloaded a trial version of Paint Shop Pro just to look, (I have both Photoshop and Elements) and was pleasantly surprised. It looks very strong. On a problem photo that I like but was unable to resolve easily in Photoshop CS, it took care of the problem right off. For $79.00 I'll add it to my software.

I'm still using Elements 1.whatever, and it can do anything I've wanted to do with a picture. Granted, I don't go nuts, but I've done things other than simply apply auto adjustments. Photoshop will likely be overkill for most amateurs, I would think.

I would start with Photoshop Elements vs 6, before moving up to Photoshop. It's just too overwhelming for a beginner. I sarted out with PE version 3, then slowly migrated to PS which I'm still learning.

Photoshop Elements has about 85+% of the tools in PS for photo editing. I'm not sure about HDR though, I'll have to check, but I doubt it. Also, for some quick edits, sending emails, creating albums and organizing files, PE has some tools that PS doesnt.

>>> So what can I do with photoshop that I can't do with elements. I know that could

take a long time to explain, so just the high points will work.

Still waiting for an answer...

www.citysnaps.net

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it would make more since for me to start out with elements. I just want to make sure I can layer. Initially, I think that's what I really want to learn first. Since I like to shoot late in the day, It's so hard to get the exposure right for low light situations when you have something bright like the sky in the background. I'm sure most of you had the same problem as beginners. Anyway, thanks again.

if you have lots of money to spend then do go for the best, which would naturally be cs3. however, please bear in mind that any image manipulation software will only offer you the very best in final input if you have spent the time in mastering its quirks. this in itself takes time and is in a hobby in itself.

the other alternative is to try the multitude of free software available through the web and see how you fare with them. if you have the time to learn, most software would be giving you very good results. the more expensive tends to have nicer interfaces, more userfriendly tools, faster, more stable and more documentation.

Having both, I'd vote for CS3 and make sure you download the latest version of Bridge. Also, invest in Kelby's book 7-Point System for CS3 and the book Real-World Camera Raw for CS3. Kelby's book is an immediate payoff and the other will educate you, in simple terms on both CS3 and Bridge (which can do much of the work for you).

I have Photoshop CS1, and a far more recent version of Elements. Elements has some good stuff, like the scribble select brush (you scribble with the paintbrush to create masks, good for things with subtle edges), but I use CS1 far more often, because my workflow tends to involve adjusting the individual curves on the colour channels, and the way Elements handles that drives me insane! I have the mac versions of both.

I have used Elements for years with no problem until now. Using "Actions" in Elements is very limited/non existant. That will limit you in a lot of effects that you want to try. For all the basics...Elements is terrific and pretty versatile.