Delta 100 in Rodinal 1+25

dweezil

i,

I've recently come in to possession of some rolls of Delta100 and Delta400.

My normal films are APX100 for 35mm and FP4+ for 120 and I process them always

in Rodinal 1+25.

The guy I got the films from said that you can't develop delta in Rodinal

because of the Tgrain technology.

Is this correct?

What can I expect?

I think there are much better combinations in 35mm Delta 100 and Delta 400 available then a Rodinal development, to take maximum advantage of the Delta modern grain technology. Normally a 35mm 400 iso Tgrain film is used to minimize the grain and take advantage of the maximum speed of the film.

Well, each para-amino phenol developer will cause speed loss (1/3 -2/3 f stop), will emphasize the sharpness (wich is already extra sharp with each Tgrain emulsion) but will add some extra grain.

So a DD-X Delta 400 35mm combination will give slightly less grain then an iso 250 - Rodinal Delta 400 combination without any notisable difference in sharpness.

If you're going to a larger film format a lot of these things are less important.

If you have the right equipment in 35mm (Leica, Zeiss lenses) you can work with slower speed films (or even Tech Pan films) and make them look like a medium format enlargement. However it's much easier, less critical and less complicated to have the same result with each medium format camera. (Except from carry the extra kg's and missing the right pictures because you can not work very fast with most of these camera's).

But it's just depending what is your style of photography. Any landscape will not walk away, just the light will changes in a few hours, maybe sometimes in a few minutes but will give you the time for a nice composition with a M.F. or L.F. camera with tripod, calculate the right E.I. a.s.o.

In candid street photography or in the theater the right picture is depending on fraction of seconds.

Different situation: So different equipment and different type of film choice.

Balderdash! Delta 100/Rodinal is my principal film/dev combination but I usually downrate it to 50 ASA and dev in Rodinal at 1:50, 20 C, 8 minutes - that's for a diffuser head enlarger.

I suspect your man was confusing 'new' grain technology with chromogenic films such as XP2.

Hi again, Larry,

That has to be the best answer I've heard for awhile.

Lynn

By the way, I tried Bill Mortenson's "trick", of developing film in the refrigerator for 4 days for the same reason you did your still developing. My response was, "OK, now I've done it".

Lynn