Tmax film and tmax developer?

Kodak's preferred developers are T-MAX, T-MAX RS, XTOL, and trusty old D-76.

I'm partial to Ilford's DD-X.

T-MAX is notoriously fussy about accurate temperature and timing. Gives it a lot of push and pull capability for Zone System N+1, N-1, etc., but makes life hard for those who are sloppy about their processing.

I once followed the strict demanding directions offered in a really involved KODAK

pamphlet about that subject. The result: Blocky way too contrasty and barely printable.

T-Max is a flawed product in my opinion, and I have much better experiences with much

less expensive products.

I don't know. I've used TMax developer on TMax films and honestly, it's nothing to write home about. It's a competent developer, and maybe it is a decent choice for push processing. But I do just fine with XTOL. TMY at EI 1600 in 1+3 XTOL works for me. I haven't ever had the need to push it any harder.

I just developed some in Zonal Pro and liked the results. I think it's good film. Some people seem to have problems, don't know why, it's been fine in every developer I've tried with it. I didn't really think TMax developer did any better job than the cheaper and more general developers... D76, XTOL and Rodinal.

T-Max developer was not formulated specifically for T-Max film. It simply was marketed at around the same time as T-Max film and was part of an overall ad campaign. To confuse matters even further, when those products were introduced Kodak also slapped the "T-Max" label on its chromogenic monochrome C-41 process film. Other than the "T-Max" label, the three products have nothing in common.

D76 and ID-11 produced excellent results for me with T-Max 100 exposed at 80. Microphen right at the box speed was more to my liking, but this is a matter of personal aesthetics, not a declaration of superiority.

I always felt that TMax developer was too aggressive, especially with TMY. It was really easy

to overdevelop causing bulletproof highlights. Maybe it's a good push developer. I like Edwal

FG-7 which I hear is similar to D76 but a lot easier to mix because it's a liquid concentrate

and mixes 1:15 which is perfect for a 16oz metal tank.

I don't like either one of them. TMX100 is great if you have total control over lighting, but not a good walk-about film. I wasted years trying to master the stuff, then switched to FP4+ and thought I had a whole new camera and lens kit. TMax developer was specifically recommended by Kodak as a pushing developer. IMO, it's an expensive drain cleaner or floor wax. Don't use it as a desert topping, but especially keep it away from TMX100. If you insist on using TMX100, try Rodinal (a bit grainy), FX-2, or D-76 and get it dialed in *exactly*.

I tested 1:4 and 1:7 dilutions for TMAX Dev. I also tested XTOL at 100%, 60/40, 1:1, 40:60, 1:2, and 1:3.

Xtol 60/40 (60% stock solution with 40% water) with clean water prewash on TMX 100 film is the sweet spot. You get no grain vissible at 40x magnification and about 4000 lines per picture hight. Mid tones contrast is excellent.

See comparison here (look at it at 100% - Original resolution):

http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/4573889_Hj5zk#269582905