Kodachrome 64 might have a chance now...

Kodak has drastically pruned back their slide film lineup in the last year. All

the current products for US distribution are listed here.

ISO 64: 2 films: Kodachrome 64 PKR and KR

ISO 100: 5 films: Ektachrome 100 Plus EPP, Ektachrome E100VS, Ektachrome E100G

and GX, and Professional Elite Chrome 100

ISO 200: 2 films: Ektachrome E200 and Professional Elite Chrome 200

Tungsten (ISO 64): 1 film: Ektachrome 64T EPY

In summary, Kodachrome 64 has far fewer E6 films (and one less Kodachrome) to

compete with than it did a year ago. Maybe Kodachrome has a chance now among

the enthusiast market. And with all the rising interest and some new Kodachrome

forums and blogs (not to mention the 75th anniversary in 2010) it looks

promising. Then again, there are Fuji E6 films to compete with also.

I dunno. It's cool to shoot with all the history from it, but processing is a pain and the scanner my school has doesn't work with kodachrome.

Whilst you say kodak is drastically pruning its slide films, what makes you so sure kodachrome won't be the next prunee? The Kodachrome 64 is also not as good a film as the kodachrome 25 (pruned in 2001) which has much finer grain. Most of the professionals still have a brick or two in their film freezer and they're shooting that. KC 64 was for the "speed shooters" (of the 70s) and since the slide film development stopped in the early 90s has fallen behind. It has a very distinct look to it, the process makes it unique.

Shoot it while you can, I'm just not tempted to start using a film that I can't scan, costs 2x to get processed, and will be discontinued before I graduate highschool

Nicolas,

You can actually get it processed for $6 per roll through CVS or Walmart. Just label everything carfully. Two weeks to get it back.

Yeah, scanning it takes practice and patience (and maybe a drum scanner to do it the best).

High school is a perfect time to try (and retry) new things! You could always get better scans down the road...

But yeah, you guys are absolutely right...it's not going to be around much longer. It's great that it's still around right now. And with Elite Chrome 100 and 200 backordered at B&H for the past few months, I think it might be around longer than they will.

I have really no complaints on Dwayne's. The processing has been fine. The cost to get a single roll developed by them is not bad when you send direct. But send a few rolls to offset the fact that they charge 5$ to return it to you. I have yet to use CVS/Walmart mailers, i want to try that for myself on a lesser roll than something important...

I scan K64 on a Nikon IV scanner. Its tough, especially with underexposed images, but the good results are well worth it.

Dan,

I think the CVS thing is worth the savings. The biggest issue other than Qualex people getting confused (see below) is probably the risk of the paper envelope ripping open.

I write "Kodachrome slides - process K-14 in big letters under special instructions and circle it. I also label the roll with my name using a Sharpie, and I tape the canister closed with a label saying, "Kodachrome. Process K-14!" I also tape the envelope to make sure it doesn't open in transit. Also, you need to hold onto your tear-off receipt.

It's $6 for a 36 exp roll and takes 2 weeks.

Historically, slide films also took a beating in the marketplace due to cost/exposure compared with C41 type business. In terms of volume, people want snapshots to view & hold. The C41 types were faster and more profitable for processors & consumers. I would love to see the K-chromes have a renaissance, but it's not likely!

I have no plans on going digital (other than scanning) so after 30 years of buying Kodak products (mostly transparency film) I'll end up using Fuji if I like it or not.A perfect example of the American business mentality.Pretty soon nothing will be made in this country and none of us will be able to afford any film or a digital camera/computer from Kodak or anyone else.I doubt anything can save Kodachrome at this point.

I love the optimism of this post. If people all around you are dying, you might think that you are doomed, or you could think that since you're not dead yet, you most be immune. I'm not sure which is more realistic, but I'm certain the optimists have more fun.

Since you mentioned the 75th anniversary of Kodachrome in 2010 I'll put in a plug for my modest web page in support of the celebration: (http://ronald.andrews.googlepages.com/kodachrome). If you have an on-line collection of Kodachrome images, send me a link and I'll post it here.

Dwaynes is a last ditch arrangement by Kodak to let users down gently , but to make sure the most intelligent of them get the message.

The quality is FAR inferior to that delivered by Kodak itself in its heyday, and the service time is abominable.

The message Kodak is delivering relates to the facts that mid-level DSLRs (Sony, Pentax, D300, 5D) now exceed Kodachrome resolution and Kodachrome never reproduces as well as Ektachrome or excellent digital files.

One of my favorite single malts suddenly got near-impossible to get. I'm still drinking nice single malts, though. Feel the same about Kodachrome--lotsa nice transparency materials still around.BTW, hasn't anyone twigged that digital put E6 on the endangered list thanks to the near extinction of slide shooting pros?

John Kelley wrote:

"The message Kodak is delivering relates to the facts that mid-level DSLRs (Sony, Pentax,

D300, 5D) now exceed Kodachrome resolution and Kodachrome never reproduces as well

as Ektachrome or excellent digital files."

That might be the way you see it, but it is not the way I see it. While in terms of grain to

detail ratio Kodachrome falls short of modern DSLR's, it is still inherently sharper with

greater accutance.

And as far as it not reproducing as well, as those E-6 films, that is not the film's fault, it

needs deep scans, over 4.2 D-Max to pull out what the film delivers.

But the big reason I use it? The look right out of the camera sets the tone, the stage and

the song. When Kodachrome is paired up with a good sharp lens, great light and masterful

exposure, it simply crushes any digital image I have ever seen.

I have nothing but the highest praise for Dwayne's. I've shot Kodachrome since 1980 (when I was 11 years old), and viewed my father's Kodachromes dating back to 1965 (when processing was still K-12), and feel confident saying that their Kodachrome processing is as good as any I've seen over the years. I just got back a series of K64 rolls from a cruise in Mexico that are sharp as a tack, with absolutely beautiful colors.

The few times there has been any problem in their processing, the people at Dwayne's have been very eager to correct it. Using either mailers or my local photo store that has a Kodak pick-up service, I've gotten my K-14 slides back in 5-9 days, usually around 7 days.

My understanding is that they do 1500-3000 rolls each day on their K-14 line. If they can do that profitably and still maintain high quality, there may yet be a few more years of Kodachrome left.

that number sounds about 5times higher than i ever would have expected... i hope its true.

Since fuji processing is also done by Dwayne's now as well, their service is pretty good. I've gotten about the same 5-8 day turn around, usually, for both E6 via fuji mailer, or E6/K14 via direct.

What would be "killing" Kodachrome is there aren't enough willing to give it a try, that is stick with it for atleast a short while to get to know its personality-characteristics. They see the colors by themselves (without polarizer) are just blah so they assume a high-saturated film will come through.

Your talking nonsense- Dwaynes quality is TOP NOTCH, and the turn around times are FAST. I mean, real FAST. Like, I put it in the mail today, and its back in my hands same time next week. And thats with shipping from Michigan to Kansas and back. Compare that with the old Fairlawn standard - dirty, dust slides, always late. Dwaynes is the best thing to happen to slide film in a long long time. I am glad to see things consolidated with them. They hold both the Fuji and Kodak E-6 and K-14 accounts now.

Here are my issues with Kodachrome:<br>

1. Processing is expensive, but I'd be willing to wait 2 weeks for cheaper processing. I just don't trust CVS with anything<br>

2. Film is hard to find, and expensive (20%)<br>

3. Scanning is difficult-I'm stuck with my highschool's coolscan 4000 <br>

4. Kodak may stop production tomorrow, or in 10 years, nobody knows<p>

I've heard Kodachrome 25 was much better, finer grained. I don't see why people would want a "blazing fast" 64 ASA over a 25 ASA with superior quality. All the professionals complain they only have 4 bricks of it left in deep freeze, I never got to shoot it.<p>

I understand that kodachrome slides have 22 megagrains (translated into megapixels). That would put it above affordable digital SLRS. I would like to try some 4x5s but I understand I'm around 55 years too late :-(.<p>

Can someone clarify for me on this-is the K14 process toxic? If so, what about it? My understanding-kodachrome developer is Color Developer with soluble couplers, which are expensive and unstable. Other than that, it's just a delicate balance which you can't screw with, and that's why it's so rare. Am I completely missing something?

K-14 process chemicals are toxic, but so are some household chemicals. They can be handled safely, but it requires competent technicians. There is nothing in Process K-14 that has the danger of a bottle of insecticide or the destructive power of a gallon of gasoline.

Nicholas Andre wrote:<br>

<br>

<i>Here are my issues with Kodachrome:<br>

1. Processing is expensive, but I'd be willing to wait 2 weeks for cheaper processing. I just don't trust CVS with anything</i><br>

<br>

As others have noted, Wal-Mart offers K-14 processing for $4.88 per 36-exposure roll. Mark the roll and envelope carefully (see advice above). I would also recommend to check out your local store beforehand and try to get a sense of how knowledgeable the photo shop personnel are. My local store here has a few regulars who work there who are good to deal with and appear to be dedicated, which helps keep my anxiety level down. :)<br>

<br>

<i>2. Film is hard to find, and expensive (20%)</i><br>

<br>

B&H and Adorama usually have K-64 in stock. At $6.59 per roll, it's the lowest price I've paid in a number of years.<br>

<br>

<i>4. Kodak may stop production tomorrow, or in 10 years, nobody knows</i><br>

<br>

As a wise person once told, 'Don't worry about the things you can't control'. Kodachrome 64 <u>is</u> available now and developing through Dwayne's should be available for the foreseeable future. Why not give it a try? If people give up on Kodachrome, it's demise will only be hastened.<br>

<br>

Jim D.