Thinking of Dumping Photography

nancy s.

I feel sometimes like doing what Nancy said... and then I create a little challenge for myself,

like grab a lens I rarely use and see what ways to see things through it I can come up with.

At times, the winter blahs are good because they force you to stop and take stock. In my

case, I scan slides and print them.

In any event, turn your attention to other matters and soon enough Spring will come in for

your enjoyment.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact you are giving this some thought shows that you really don't want to quit

photography. If you did, why would you bother to write a post about it and seek other's

advice? You would just stop doing it, and it wouldn't bother you at all. The key is to only

take photos when you feel like it. You are suffering from the photographic equivalent of

writer's block. You most likely are forcing yourself to take photos when you don't want to,

and like anything that is forced, it becomes less fun. If you don't take another frame for

the next 10 years that's okay. Who cares? Do it when you feel like it, and if that's never,

fine. None of the things you mentioned, software costs, etc., are mandatory to take

pictures. Only your eyes. Your brain is the best film ever invented.

• 3 weeks later...

People I know may think I am a camera geek. I think I am just a hobbyist, I don't want to sell my pix. The last time I went out was 2 o 3 weeks ago. I'm one of those who plans it and then go out, I don't carry my camera with me everywhere, I know some people who does this with a Lowepro Orion backpack which has a bottom small compartment and a normal compartment for their normal things.

I dunno why I take pictures. I guess for me I take some pictures that I can print and frame up at home.

I don't spend much money on it. Last camera was in 2004. For a few couple yrs now I am just getting accessories, film and printer paper. My dream lens would maybe a Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 18-200. Its not the best but it provides me ease to get pix at my travels so that's fine.

My camera looking at Lightroom I only kept 2,000 pictures, shutter count is about 8,000. Since 2004.

Last Xmas I took 2 frames. Event, pple pix are not my thing so that's what I do. I know that when I travel, what my eyes see and what my brain remembers is way more impt when what my camera captures. I guess photog for me is just to take photo's that I can print and display around or share with my club. FWIW to me, its just a image on paper.