I am gonna do it, I swear, I'm gonna do it - film, that is.

elmar001

Well, after lots of excuses, I think I am finally ready to process my first two

rolls of film. I have my developer working solution mixed(HC-110), and I am

going to mix stop and fixer just enough when I am ready to go. I am using tap

water (our water is very good here.) I am going to use the microwave to time,

with my wife at the controls. Pickle jars will serve to hold the working

solutions temporarily to get the right temperature.

So if you talk regularily to the gods of dark rooms, please put a word or two

forward. I need all the help I can get! LOL

Thanks for all the help getting me this far.

Lawrence

The microwave as a timer? Sounds like an expensive stopwatch! Any watch or clock with a second hand/timer is good enough. With development times of around 10 minutes minor variations in pour times (to fill and empty the tank) are usually insignificant.

Be sure your containers are clearly labeled. A pickle jar is fairly unlikely to lead to a food related accident, but try to avoid reusing beverage containers. I've done it, but it's not a good practice. Also, the metal lids on most food and beverage containers will be corroded by continued contact with some darkroom chemistry.

Have fun and welcome aboard.

Yes, good luck! You could probably use pickle juice as a stop bath!

Just kidding. Who needs green negatives with seeds?

I agree with Lex. You can go to any dollar store and find a digital cooking timer. Or even the old fashioned dial and bell kind. Much easier and cheaper to use than a microwave. Unless you are also cooking dinner at the same.

Enjoy the alchemy of film development. I never get tired of the rush from seeing them emerge out of the Photo FLo.

Most modern microwaves have a timer function built-in, that's what I use as my timer for film development. I would recommend using distilled water for the final rinse (tap is fine for chemicals). You will be fairly disappointed by water spots, even with "best" tap water out there.

Enjoy!

I did this just last week. Most nerve wracking thing was getting the film on the reel, even though I'd done it with a dud-roll for a couple of days before hand.

The others are right, it really is a kick to see the images developed after taking them off the reel.

Don't worry about a thing (except, maybe, drinking the Stop Bath) and enjoy!

"... I think I am finally ready to process my first two rolls of film. "

You didn't mention how you're measuring temperature. This piece is important.

The cooking appliance section of the local big box is your friend. I've found digital meat thermometers to be generally fairly accurate (and more importantly, repeatable.) It should read ~0degC in an ice water bath, and about ~100degC in boiling water (given that there's not too much dissolved solids in the bath, that you're close to sea level, etc.)