carenar 1:2.8/35

jpictures

I recently purchased a Carenar lens. I never heard of the manufacturer. I was

wondering if anyone knew anything about them or if anyone had a good or bad

experience with this lens manufacturer.

To clear the air, I purchased the lens simply because I didn't want my Zenit

body to gather dust and so I was looking for an M42 lens. It cost $20 plus tax.

Any and all comments welcome.

Yeah, so sorry. This is what is deeply repugnant about the gear acquisition school of amateur photography-- who the hell cares what James paid for his lens? Weston used a second-hand lens that cost $5-- I guess that means he wasn't a real photographer, and you wouldn't let him in your camera club. So sorry.

Re the OP-- you can Google 'Carenar' and find information here and there on the Web. This is probably a Korean or Japanese-made lens, rebadged as Carenar by a Swiss company. One guy on another forum speculates that they are rebadged Cosinas.

Harry, you need to seek enlightenment....there are some terrific inexpensive lenses available, especially in M42 mount. It seems there was a time when lenses were built rugged with decent optics and nothing to go wrong, while costing not too much money. Now.....all those electrical bits to go wrong, no way of manually setting aperture (even in manual mode on these modern lenses the apertures is still set electronically), all that modern electronic autofocus motor stuff... I've got lenses here that cost me a fiver and are favourites in my growing collection.

James, I don't know much about the Carenar...there's quite a lot of mention of it the internerd though. I had previously heard they were rebadged Cosinas as mentioned by Dave...but not 100% sure.

The lens is made in Japan if I were to believe the inscription on the front. I will test the lens and post the pictures. I plan on using two films Ilford PanF50 and Fuji 200 for color. I was hoping someone had an especially good/bad experience with them. I found some photos on the internet which seem to indicate a rather soft yet clear lens ... but maybe someone else thinks otherwise. I was simply trying to replace a Helios 44M-4 which I lost. Those seem to cost twice as much and seem to be a hassle to get a hold of in Cleveland.

Carena cameras were relatively inexpensive SLR's sold (at least) in Germany in the early 1970th; usually with all bells and wistles from large distributers like "Neckermann"; the same cameras were also available under the names "Revue" (Foto Quelle), "Porst" (another german distributer). The M42 lenses which came with them were marked "Carenar", and my 50/1.7 lens was a decent performer. At least some of the cameras were produced by Petri, but I wouldn't explude that also Cosina might have been involved in others.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>unbelievable!<br />a week ago i found at my mother's house a remarkebly saved Zenit AT (+helios 44M-4, + Mir-1B, +Jupiter-37A, + a flash for it. she says she got it all for about 35$ from an old man who was unsucsessfully trying to get rid of it).<br />today i picked up <strong>the same</strong> carenar [1:2.8\35] in a basement of a second-hand store into which i wondered because of a cooking book that was on display [ LOL :-) ].<br /><strong>thanks a lot for this discussion and for posting the photos.</strong> I actually like the distortion, so i guess the carenar will be nontheless usefull for me. i got it for about 3$ and it was mainly of curiousity, as i said i already got great lenses for my Zenit :-)<br />what a coinsidence, ha? unbelievable i found this thread just by typing "carenar" at google.</p>