EOS3 - anybody else kept theirs?

oofoto

I have an EOS3 at home which I really cannot ever see me using again even

though I have film in the freezer. I have a 5D now and have had for over 18

months which is just perfect. I'm certainly don't feel the need for a MKII

version unlike when I had the 10D.

Thing is the EOS3 is just so awesome to hold and with the viewfinder, ECF, 4000

focus points, build quality and cracking shutter noise I really cannot bring

myself to sell it. I think it's worth more to me than the 2nd hand cost.

Anybody else got a body like mine? ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My EOS3 is gathering dust and I have film in the freezer gathering ice. Can't bring myself to sell it either, given the amount of $$ it would likely fetch. Still hope to us it to shoot some B&W, but doubt that will really happen. Also have an Elan IIe and D60 gathering dust while I exclusively use a 5D.

I personally would LOVE to have one. I only have digital right now but am still fascinated with film and absolutely love Black & White photography.

If anyone does ever think of selling their EOS3 I would be extremely interested in buying it. Just for the record anyhow. I can understand those who wish to hang onto their gear, I would probably do the same.

I bought mine refurbished about 2 years ago in 'Mint' condition. Not a single scratch on it. However, it didnt get much use because of the over sensitive shutter button and because I switched to Digital a year later. I needed a film camera as a back up and with all the great features this camera has plus weather sealing, I decided to keep it. A couple of weeks ago I realized that controlling the shutter button with the tip of my index finger prevents misfiring.

For some reason, which is not very logical when it comes to money, I too have held on to my film bodies. I have an almost new EOS 3, EOS 1V, both with PB-E2, and a EOS 5. And yes, I have a frig. full of film. The EOS 5 is such a great body. It was my first auto focus and I learned so much while using it. I did list it on Ebay once but the offers were so low I refuse to sell it at those prices.

I don't think I will ever give up my 1V; well maybe when there is no more film or it is too expensive. I have looked into selling the EOS 3 but, as others said, the going prices are just too low for such a great body. Oh well, I don't seem to make good decision in the stock market either.

I sold my EOS 3 when I got my 10D. I too loved the spec and handling of the 3, but with my example I experienced problems with film flatness - the second frame of a days shooting would often have a vertical blurred section in the middle. For a while I worked round this by wasting the second frame each day I used the camera. But as I shoot selectively and a film could be in the camera for days or weeks, I was wasting too many frames. Plus occasionally I would forget to fire off the second frame on something unimportant, and would end up dropping a shot.

For a while after getting my 10D I didn't take 35mm at all and stuck to 645 and digi, but I found myself missing 35mm in some situations so eventually I picked up a cheap EOS 300X body from ebay. Hardly comparable to an EOS 3, but I find it sufficient for the amount of use it gets, and I have had no film flatness issues.

I have kept my 3, also my A2 that is older. In fact just bought a 1VHS from ebay in Nov., couldn't afford new. I shoot a lot of black and white, and a fair amt of color chromes, still maintain a BW darkroom. I like the hands on stuff, been doing it for ages, keeps the pc off. I also shoot digital, 10d and now g9, but I shoot a lot less digital than I did a year ago, per shoot I mean.

I have a 1v and I'm planning to keep it. In my case I moved to a 40D so the full frame still

makes a difference for me, mainly in combination with my TS-E 24mm L. In addition I still

shoot B&W. Anyway, the main reason for keeping it was the ridiculous price that I would get

for it. It's simply not worth it. If I had been able to sell it decently I would have gone for a 5D

instead. For the moment I'm ok with this combo. Maybe in the future I will get a full frame

DSRL (7D or whatever it will be called). But still, I'll keep my 1v for the B&W stuff

I still have my 3 with a PB-E1, as well as my Elan 7. The Elan is getting some use by my brother, but sadly the 3 is gathering dust, and my film is sitting idle in the freezer. To me, it's not worth selling any of it, especially since the resale price would be so low.

The one bad thing is that everytime I pick up the 3, it tries to tempt me into upgrading from my 30D to a 5D...

Fuuny thing as I keep selling my digital SLRs and keep my film bodies. I love using film too much. I've gone through every incarnation of the Digital Rebel.

Currently I have a EOS 1N-HS and Elan 7 that I use. Also have a couple FD bodies kicking around.

Sold mine a few years ago before the bottom really dropped out of the film camera market.

It was a great camera but I simply realized I wasn't going to be shooting film anymore. I kept several filn bodies that I'd aquired over the years (Elan II, 630, 620), but they are just gathering dust. I don't think I've shot a roll of film in a couple of years now. I have the intention to, but I just don't get around to it since I really haven't found an application that digital doesn't do faster, easier and better. Though the EOS 3 was a wonderful camera, there was simply no point in keeping it if I wasn't going to use it.

I picked one up used on the big auction site to convince myself to let go of the M6's and lens collection (24mm through 90mm) thus allowing continued use of various films in combination with digital. This was to allow me to focus my meager funding on one lens pool. 2 years later I still have all of them and use them all with relative frequency, but I would like to ultimately cull the herd.

I'm off to Zurich for a few days next week and I think that this time I'll make myself take just that 3 & 24-105 combination with a few rolls and see what happens.

As I add bodies, I pass my lowest body down to my wife, and hers down to my daughter, who gives her camera to my son. It is like a daisy chain. I just ordered the 5d, I will keep the Eos 3 (I will never sell it or the MF/LF gear) but will give my Elan 7E to my wife, she will give her Rebel to my daughter, my daughter will give her Canon AE-1 to my son. There is no shortage of cameras in our house, and as digital takes over, the film bodies lose their value, and I become less protective of them, so why not let the kids use them? Building an interest in photography at an early age in my own children is worth a lot more to me than the $100 or so that I would get if I would sell the bodies on eBay.

I have it, but never use it. I prefer to use either the 5D for digital, or if i shoot film, i was

recently using a Nikon F100, then an F4, and now a Contax RX.

The rationale for that is probably not 'rational.' I just hate the look and feel of the EOS3.... It

just reminds me of something from the 80s.... I probably should trade it in for an EOS 1,

which is only a bit better, but i like the ECF....

My partner and I still have and use an EOS 3 in conjunction with an 8mp Sureshot digital in the bag. This seems to work well, a combo of quality shots and grab shots, for blow-ups and scrapbook snaps.

The '5D's successor (announcement end of this month!?) will be a must-have and the film-based '3 will then start to gather dust, rapidly, on the outside at least.

I had just gotten my EOS 3 when my brother gave me a 30D for Christmas 2007. I had always wanted a 3 and love it. I still use film because I don't have to sit in front of a computer. Just let someone print it.

Also, I still a EOS 5QD. Swapped an Elan IIE for a riding mower. I sure do miss the ECF on the 30D. Like others, for the price, I just don't want to sell them. New girl friend might get the 5..

I still have it in a drawer, but I need a diopter to focus now. The camera isn't nearly as much fun without being able to manually focus, so until I get off my duff and buy one, it sits. By the way, I love the shutter button and it allowed me to catch many zenith of action shots. I suppose getting the diopter would make me spend money on something I'm unsure I'll use again.

Paul:

I have a 5D as well and also a 1V-HS, both very impressive cameras. However, I would never think of parting with my EOS-3. It's like a member of the family. I have spent many enjoyabale hours using the "3", so selling it would mean deserting an old friend; especially considering it never let me down when the situation was tough.

Keep it man! Don't part with it. You'll regret it.

Anthony Thornborough: Don't hold your breath for the 5D successor, at least not at the end of this month. Canon's announcements were made yesterday (check the Eos forum) and no full frame SLRs are on the menu. I was holding out for one, and so I just ordered the 5D, I will have it on Monday. I can always get the upgrade when it comes out--probably within a year--and sell the 5D for a bit of a haircut. While I would love the upgrade, let's face it, the 5D is not as long in the tooth as many make it out to be. It is still a heck of a camera--but then again, so is the Eos 3, and it is a lot older!