How do you protect/carry your gear while hiking?

dan_hall4

I have read of Camera Armor, Lowepro Dryzone backpacks, Lens Coats, and such

but wanted to ask what you use to protect your gear while in the woods. I have

Canon 40D, 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, and CP. How do I protect the equipment from

weather? How do you carry your filters? How do you protect from rain/snow? I

have recently made a substatial investment in equipment and wanted to ask how

most people carry there gear while taking wildlife/nature photos. Please don't

say shower cap. Ha ha.

Over 20 years of wilderness trips has resulted in my doing the following. If rafting, kayaking, high waters involved, inflatable sealed heavy duty camera protectors...maximum of 2 lenses. If hiking for more than 5 successive days, and or extreme territory, everything goes into the backpack cushioned by clothes and water protected by a 3 mil garbage bag (cut down). When photo time comes...hiking stops, gear comes out, is used, then put back. Everybody does things differently. For me when hiking, safety and maneuverability is utmost, photography usually way down on the list. BTW, I never carry more than 1 camera and 3 lenses on these trips...every ounce is critical and water and fuel take precedence over misc. camera gear.

This summer I went on six different backpacking trips through the Sierra Nevada. I wrapped my Bronica SQa in large piece of fleece and put the lenses in some heavy socks. When it rained, I covered my entire pack with an Outdoor Research waterproof pack cover. In your case I might get some Lowe Pro padded cases for you lenses and one for the camera and toss it all in your pack that way you will be able to fall on your pack after reaching your point of absolute exhaustion.

www.yosemitecollection.com

"In your case I might get some Lowe Pro padded cases for you lenses and one for the camera and toss it all in your pack that way you will be able to fall on your pack after reaching your point of absolute exhaustion"

Funny Hugh. At 6'6" 300, I can stand the extra weight in the pack. But my type A personality has the credit card on the table. I already ordered Lowepro lens cases for the 10-22 and 24-105. The 100-400 comes in a nice padded case from what I can tell. I would need something for the camera. But namely, looking for the right bag. I do a lot of canoeing/kayaking as well, so a fully waterproof bag is a requirement. Anyone using the Lowepro Dryzone waterproof backpacks. They look nice online, but I have no way to see one before purchasing due to where I am currently living. I was also wondering about all the lenses fitting in it. How do you carry filters (expensive ones)? And the Camera Armor or Lens Coats, anyone familiar with them. Any ideas appreciated.

There are two ways to go. One is to get a good backpack, get good lens and camera cases and load it up. I did that for many years and it worked well with cameras from 35mm to 4x5. A pack cover, either a large garbage bag or a special cover from an outdoor store, as has been mentioned will help if it rains.

Another option is to get a pack with internal dividers, like the Lowepro or Tamrac or other brand. I currently own four of these in different sizes. For me, the advantage is the ability to access the lens, cable, filter I want easily and quickly and not lose stuff in the middle of the pack or in yet another bag in the bag.

Many of the Lowepros have a built in pack cover, the AW series. If not, a separate pack cover will work. Adventures like river rafting are special cases and require special cases, such as pelicans, which are bulky and heavy and not desirable for backpacking.

Good luck.

Eric

My standard solution for taking photographs while kayaking is to use a Nikonos underwater camera tucked in my lefejacket. I prefer the Nikonos II model (with a recent version of the 35mm lens; it reportedly has better coatings than the older same design lenses)since it is smaller than the otherwise more convenient V model and may be operated with one hand while bobbing around in an eddy. An Olympus 770SW waterproof camera might be a suitable, and even smaller, digital replacement. For extended trips with raft support I carry a Canon F1 35mm outfit in a Pelican case and use it while hiking or scouting rapids if there is enough time. It survived one shot dip in a Colorado river side-stream. I removed the prism, film, etc. and dried it overnight and it was revived by morning! Try that with a digital SLR. Even though I own a new Sony a100, I will leave it home for river trips, and rely on my trusty and inexpensive to replace F1.

We float arctic Alaska rivers every Fall. Usually two weeks at a time. Bears, caribou, moose, wolf, and birds. That is partly why I got the camera in the first place. I have a Pentax WB20 waterproof camera. It just got replaced. I have grown tired of pelican cases. I need to carry my gear here.....

http://www.flickr.com/gp/21144083@N02/5Jc52a

I have read of Camera Armor, Lowepro Dryzone backpacks, Lens Coats, and such but wanted to ask what you use to protect your gear while in the woods.

I have the Loepro Nature Trekker. Excellent and comfortable backpack. I have carried medium format or 35mm lens up to 500mm in this pack. I personally pack a heavy backpack, 2 bodies generally 4 or 5 lenses along with other equipment, but theses are normally just very long day hikes (no camping gear)

I have Canon 40D, 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, and CP. How do I protect the equipment from weather?

The NT pack has great zippers that simply haven't leaked on me. The biggest issue I face is going from the cold to inside and that requires putting equipment in bags.

How do you carry your filters?

I stack them together. There are covers to protect the ends

How do you protect from rain/snow?

Noted above. Personally, I don't overly worry about equipment. Just dry it off as soon as you can.

Well - this is certainly a difficult question as I do not have all the relevant information about your intended use, travel time etc. And from my experience, you will not get one-for-all! That is the reason, why many people have more photo-bags than cameras... ;-)

But from I guessing - think about this: http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=aquazoom

It certainly will fit the camera with smaller lenses, probably not the 100-400 (I am not familiar with Canon). I used one of those for a hiking tour in tropical climate - very nice. This will give you easy access during your kayaking and it will protect it against any kind of water during use. Of course only limited protection against mechanical stress... nothing to beat a Peli case.

If you want a waterproof backpack, check out this site further. I guess, you can get this stuff also in the US. Main question is, whether this backpack is for photo-equipment only or do you need to add the rest of your stuff too. In the later case, any photo-pack is inadequate in my experience. You will be better off using a "real" backpack and fit the photo gear into it, individually backed as mentioned in previous posts. But you could use the zoom-pack still for the easy-access during your hike with the smaller lenses.

Well - have fun deciding, happy shooting, Dirk

Dan, I hike a lot. I just pack my gear in an AW backpack and head out. Filters are nothing special. I have pouches for them and they sit in the backpack until needed.

However, I never go out intentionally in driving rain or snow. Like you, my gear is expensive and I see no upside exposing it to weather like that. Also, I don't take the gear with me if I am using a canoe or kayak for the same reason unless I need the boat to get to a specific place, i.e., an island.

If it is light rain, I keep small bags and a couple hotel shower caps in my backpack.

The Dryzone backpacks are supposed to be waterproof. Maybe they are, maybe not entirely. I haven't tried one.

As for Camera Armor, it may help with bumps along the way but it certainly won't waterproof your camera. I guess it might offer some protection in a pouring rain but If I am stuck in the rain, I put the AW cover on the backpack and head for shelter. That is the best waterproofing for camera equipment.

For backpacking (mind I haven't tried this yet, but I have done a LOT of backpacking, so I am pretty sure it will work). Lowepro zoom harness pack with my OM-1n with 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 attached and 24mm f/2.8 in the bottom along with a few filters, cable release and film. Storing a 75-150mm f/4 lens in a pair of socks in the top of the pack along with a bag of film and an extra battery or two.

If I am going to take a tripod I'll just attach it to the back of my pack fairly low down (but not dangling from or below my sleeping bag). For my hiking pack I always carry a pair of large trash bags that I can fit over the pack as weather covers that work excellently. I've done this several times for protection in both torential down pours and also in all day soakers and my gear has ended up staying quite dry (I can not claim the same about myself, a poncho and water proof hat only go so far).

A shower cap is excellent for covering the relatively small camera holster/bag if you want to carry it on your body while hiking in the rain instead of leaving it in the top of your pack. The few times I have hiked with a camera along I have placed it in the top of my pack at the sight of rain, though I suppose if it was going to be a light misting all day I would probably carry it external to my pack as usual.

I carry a Canon 1D Mark II, speedlite 580EX, 50mm 2.8 macro, Canon 70-300 DO, 28-70, 12-24 and a Manfrotto 190MF3 with a Acratech Ball head. In addition, I carry manuals for the camera and speedlite along with a few filters. When I assembled all this stuff I could not find any solution that was waterproof(Rain/snow proof) and had additional room for hiking gear(extra clothes, food, water, etc.)

Someone here recommended Photobackpacker to me. They take a Kelty Redwing(I opted for the Large version, duh!), remove the zipper, lengthen its opening and install a waterproof zipper. The pack itself is waterproof. Inside they have a storage system to hold the lens? and camera. I am very very happy with the backpack. It fits great and I can hike for days with some pretty heavy loads. The inside storage devices are very good but a little small for the D1 with a wide angle zoom on it.

This system meet my need for a very comfortable waterproof backpack that could carry my photo equipment and my hiking gear. If I were to go rafting, I would toss the backpack into a dry bag.

pat

Hey Dan - if it's just hiking in the woods and worried about rain or light snow, then you have a lot of options, such as backpack rain covers.

But if you're also talking about floating down the river, where submersion is possible, then I would suggest putting your gear in a backpack and putting the backpack in a waterproof bag, or the other way around.

Check out the link below for options -- get st least a Class 3 (Class 5 would be best) waterproof bag.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/

Keith

I have a DryZone Rover - good for light day hikes and such. It's never been tested severely, though it's been through at least one soaking rain with no leaks. (I originally bought it when I thought I'd be white-water rafting with my camera.) The pack doesn't do much once the camera's out of the bag, though; I'd say "shower cap" to that, but you asked me not to! ;)

If I'm "hiking" I usually just throw (carefully pack) my camera gear in with my backpack. If I'm going to operate from a basecamp I'll throw (carefully pack) my camera gear that is already stored in my Thinktank belt system (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/). After trying backpacks, shoulderbags and holsters, I've settled on a modular speed belt system. Puts the wait of the gear on my hips and keeps it off my shoulders, and is a lot more convenient than any backpack. Its a good system for just spending a day out in the woods too.

I sincerely appreciate all the responses. I should have clarified in my op that I want a pack to carry only camera gear. I will be packing everything else in other bags. And on day hikes, I will have the few basic needed items in my wifes pack. Sounds like there are many options and I appreciate the info shared here. I will be sure to get a few shower caps too! Anyone else using the Dryzone bag, I would love to hear what you think about it. It sounds like what I am looking for.

I am a firm believer of the Lowepro Primus AW. I like the ability to reach behind my back and pull out my camera without taking off the backpack. Once you get used to how the camera exits and enters the bag, it becomes second nature.

The bottom half will hold a camera with a 70-200 f2.8 attached (by my estimation) and two other lenses. The top half will hold some accessories and personal gear (jackets, lunches, and such). It also has a storage area in the front of the bag for other things. The bag opens from the back so all you have to do is swing it around your body and you can pull out what you need.

I took it hiking in the Red Rock State Park (CA) area and took a pretty good fall on my @$$. The bag took a good shot and still protected the gear.

I am not sure it is for everyone, but I think you should really look into this bag for hiking. It won't work for backpacking, but it does work for hiking.

Good luck.

Dan, a word of caution on the DryZone bags. While they're very good at being waterproof and floatable, they are not flexible bags. The waterproof section (the entire bag in all but the Rover) is semi-rigid and the T zipper is not quick to open. If the extra protection is important to you and these qualities don't deter you, then they're good bags. Be sure to try a DryZone out if you think you're getting one; some Ritz/Wolf Camera stores carry at least the 100, other shops carrying the Lowepro line may have one or be willing to get one in for testing...

If you want something a bit less extreme or need some flexibility, I'd suggest a dry bag, a regular pack with a rain cover, or even as someone mentioned a quality garbage bag. I went for years with just a rain cover on my bag and only got the DryZone when I found out I was going to be traveling on open water with my D2X! In light rain or snow I keep the camera under my Gore-Tex shell until I need it.

<p>Hi Dan. Cool shots. And congrats on getting your wife to go with you! Canoes and kayaks mean, as you cite, complete waterproofness. Yikes, that sounds heavy to me. Like you say, it comes down to what kind of pictures you want to take. I carry a shower cap and stay out of canoes. When I do canoe or kayak, I carry a Pentax W10 (the generation before your W20).</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I carry my D200 in a Sun Dog holster pouch on the front of my backpack belt. I hadn't heard of the ThinkTank linked above, but the Sun Dog is a low budget version with similar attributes. It keeps the camera close and easy to grab. Of course if I slip and fall into the river the camera is toast. Knock on wood!</p>

<tt><quote>Anyone using the Lowepro Dryzone waterproof backpacks.</tt></quote>

<p>

I have a Dryzone 200 which I use if I'm going to be camping in one spot or when I travel by plane and/or car for long distances, but if I'm just going out for a day hike, I hardly ever use it. It's heavy, for one thing, and not the most convenient way to get at your gear. I don't think it's terribly uncomfortable, and it does keep my gear dry. (the tripod mount it has is useless, though. Half a mile and the tripod is loosened up and swinging every which way) I can fill it with a 20D, a 100-400, Tokina 12-24, Tamrom 28-75, 180 Macro, and a TLR, plus film, batteries, and other accessories.

<p>

For the most part around town and dayhiking, I use a Kelty backpack with a rain cover and neoprene covers for my lenses and camera. I picked up <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Zing-Lens-Pouch-Small-diameter/dp/B00009UU2L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200441116&sr=8-2">these cases</a> last summer, and I love them. Just enough padding to keep things from knocking together and not too expensive. I have <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-D-SLR-Neoprene-Pouch-Cameras/dp/B00011CS1M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200441235&sr=8-2">this Op Tech neoprene cover</a> for the camera and a mounted lens. We had 256 days of rain or snow here last year, and the only time I resorted to my Dryzone bag was when I was going to be out without shelter besides a tent for several days.

I use a couple of smaller lowpro bags - they slip perfectly into a medium sized pack.

I've got a big & heavy tripod - I just stick one of the legs through the loops on the adjustment straps of the pack.

Top compartment of pack is perfect for bigger lenses.

Not for everyone, but works for me.