hand palm down is a bit better than palm up, but for me still less than a

smooth action.

If the "set" button in the center of the rotary dial could be programed for

this, I would like that solution. Alternatively if the preview button was

pressed once for preview, and pressed again to disengage, this could be a

workable solution. I find it difficult to impossible to simultaneously preview

and turn the focusing ring on a lens.

I would like to hear how others feel about the ergonomics of this function, and

how they might like future bodies configured.

(This is a no brainer issue on a view camera, the preview is wherever I set the

lens opening, and I can proceed to evaluate the image without having my left

elbow flapping for air like a chicken.)

Hello Wilbur:

I agree that it would be much better if you didn't have to hold the button down.

I would also rather have it in a different spot. It is "inconvenient" (almost unusable with gloves on) especially when the camera is mounted vertically (portrait orientation) on a tri-pod.

I use the Set button for image review. I think Depth of Field Preview should be relocated to the, otherwise totally useless, "direct print" button. At the very least, this should be a software option.

Cheers! Jay

I have no issue: the DoF preview on the 5D is placed where many manufactures have placed it on many models of 135mm cameras.

Working:

For landscape working LH palm up, my left thumb is ideally placed, and also it is easy for the left thumb when working palm down.

For Portrait with camera lilt anticlockwise, the LH is usually in the `landscape LH palm down` position.

For Portrait with camera tilt clockwise, the index finger of the LH is ideally placed.

For the camera inverted, (depending upon one`s grip): if one uses the reverse grip, the index finger of the RH is well placed, or if one uses the conventional grip and rotates the RH the index finger of the LH is well placed.

Personally, I cannot see any issue whatsoever: but we are all different.

WW

DoF preview ought in principle to be useful, but in practice (a) even if you can judge what's in focus on an SLR/DSLR screen, and that can be hard enough, trying to assess by how much something is out of focus is very speculative, and (b) unless you are stopping down by only a small amount, it's too dark to see anyhow. So I don't make much use of the DoF button. It's coupled (as a default) with an even more useless capability, which is to fire a focusing burst from a flash - by the time I've recovered from being dazzled, the light show is already over.

The DOF preview is useful if you have non intelligent Extension Rings. First you place the lens on camera, then you press the DOF preview, then you remove the lens while holding it down. The lens then stays closed down (say to f/16). Then you fit the dumb extension rings and lens.

In normal use I always find it hard to find.

DOF Preview is Very useful on the 40D when using "Live View" in a studio set-up, where you are able to apply a 'constant light source' to the subject while you are focusing. I find it much easier and more accurate to focus this way than through the viewfinder.

When the 40D is mounted to a tripod using an 'L' Bracket, (LH side of camera body down, RH side of camera body up) it is very difficult for me to reach and control the DOF Preview button.

Cheers! Jay

From my point of view it is probably in the worst possible position and I'm left handed. But others seem able to cope, so maybe it wasn't put their by the Canon photocopier division which is what I always suspected.

I prefer on the other side in reach of the right index finger while holding the grip. Ths way you can zoom or MF, while using DoF.

I agree with Robin that in practice it is not that useful and I tend to rely on the dof calclator in my head (ie experience) as much as anything.