Making a door light-tight

mike_s9

HELP.!, Anyone got ideas for sealing a Bathroom Door,to make it light-tight

please.?, I have tried the foam on a roll around the door, but it hasnt helped

at all.! The Door opens into the Bathroom. The fitting of the door into the

frame is a bit wonky anyway.! A quick fix, that can be undone when required may

be best.Many thanks

I bought some heavy black duck canvas fabric from Walmart.

This fabric is very heavy, black and cheap at around $5 a yard.

I just made a drape that was wider then the door to allow for tucking in around edges and bottom etc. I then used a adjustable shower rod that wedges between the wals each side of the door, a loop at the top of the fabric made with big safety pins for the rod.

Now I just drawer my home made blackout drape and tuck in as needed and it is light tight.

hope this helps

Martin

Thanks to all who made suggestions,Jim's probably got the best option, I tend to do Darkroom stuff after dark anyway,then I can shut all of my other doors,and make sure all the other rooms have lights out. I dont live in Alaska, but in the UK, now's a good time to work in the Darkroom,as the days are quite short anyway.! Ideally, a new properly fitted Double Glazed type door and new frame,and nice seals but that's unlikely.!, cheers, Mike

I have used a standard curtain rod mounted to the outside edges of the door frame, a heavy weight bed sperad or simular with one end pined to form the curtain rod slot and hang on the rod over the door. Two inches either side of the door frame is sufficent and the curtain can be put on either the inside or outside of the door. A wooden dowel rod can be used as the curtain rod and a few finish nails in the top edge of the door frame can be the rod holder. Simular works for a window as well as taping blackout cloth/plastic over the window.

I bought a heavy curtain at Wal-Mart for blocking out light for "day sleepers" I guess. In any case, it was about 10 dollars U.S. and just perfectly covers the door. I guess the dimensions are something like 3' x 7'. I used a piece of electrical conduit from Lowes for the curtain rod, and a couple of pieces of wood to hold it. I works like a champ. No light even in daylight, and I have French doors opening to the outside pool less than 3 feet from my darkroom door.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem few years before. If you are using medium format film like 120 you might want to try this particularly if you develop your owm film. It worked for me.

Save the paper backing of the film. Staple or tape the paper backing around the perimeter of the door including the bottom part. Make sure half of the width of the paper is attached to the door and the other half is protruding. Thus when you close the door the paper will seal out the light. The paper lasts fairly long but is easy and cheap (free) to replace.

Try it. It won't cost you anything.