Plus-X Notice of Discontinuanc

rothelle

Look like my Plus-X will be joining Verichrome Pan;-(((((

KODAK PLUS-X Pan and PLUS-X Pan Professional Films are discontinued.

As a recommended alternative for roll formats, we suggest KODAK PROFESSIONAL

PLUS-X 125 Film / 125PX. For sheet film, we suggest KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX 100

/ 100TMX Film. For more information, see KODAK Publications F-4016, KODAK

PROFESSIONAL T-MAX Films and F-4018, KODAK PROFESSIONAL PLUS-X 125 Film.

I'm posting a general question for the forum as I'm not sure where else to post. I'm getting back into photography, and medium format after thirty years away. I can't wait to start working with film again, but in talking to a professional photographer, he's mentioned that within 3-5 years film products will cease to exist and we'll be stuck with digital. Any thoughts on this.

Regards,

Peter

"talking to a professional photographer, he's mentioned that within 3-5 years film products will cease to exist and we'll be stuck with digital. "

Peter,

The censors would hit me if I expressed my true opinion about what the "professional photographer" said, so let's just leave it at "#$%".

Jokes aside, though, film will be around for a looong time. Will the choices go down, and will the prices rise (and probably quickly)? Absolutely, but it will be available in at least the popular formats: 135, 120, 4x5.

Just think about it -- the demise of oil paints that was predicted during the advent of film didn't happen either ;-)

Enjoy your return journey to film!

Mike

Even if Kodak drops film there are lots of others out there. Ilford makes wonderful B&W products.

The film maket will shrink and we will have less choices than we had in 1992 but there will be C41, E6, and B&W films available. You might not be able to get Plus-X in 120 but you can always use Ilford or Efke. You might hve to buy 20 rolls at a time but that's what freezers are for.

Welcome back and don't worry! Film will be around for at least another 40 years. I won't be so I don't worry about it.

Thank you for all of the responses. What I'm doing is going back to 6X9 format, but my busget is tight, so I won't be puchasing a Linhof Tecnica, or a full Horseman outfit. I'm in Wisconsin and like my days in Idaho, there is much undiscovered outdoor scenery which most people don't see. I'm picking up Graflex 6X9 equipment here and there, as there is a complete outfit on Ebay now with three lenses, case etc. It's a bit beat up, but if the lenses work, it would make a serviceable field camera or a back up for spare parts. I did purchase a mint condition Speed graphic from NY's Craigslist for $125, mint condition with a nice lense and roll folm back. Old 6X9 lenses go very low on Ebay, and I'm ready for good deals to help get back in. Next, I need to look for a full darkroom. Anyone know an old photographer in the midwest who is retiring.

Regards,

Peter

35mm color film will exist as long as the movie industry uses film, even if they only use it for release prints. That's a huge backbone of Kodak's business. They don't discontinue a type of Eastman movie film without a better replacement to offer.

Sheet film and 120 film are in a little more danger. Note that they dropped a bunch of 220 formats.

Of course, Kodachrome is on "life support", and E-6 film will be the next to go after Kodachrome, as the labs are going out of business. An E-6 lab that isn't busy cannot practically produce good results.

Ilford look to be on a stable business plan. They don't have the overhead Kodak does, even after Kodak ditched a lot of their R&D personnel.

Only, the PLUS-X 125 film/PX120 is being discontinued. Cat no. 8722837.

<a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/big-image?bboard_upload_id=40357784>Memo posted by another Photo.net viewer and I verified it with a couple of vendors.</a><p/>It's only selected films and in some cases just the quantity: ex. 4x5 50sh E100VS boxes, BUT you still can get 10sh and 20sh boxes. Or film sizes: Porta 35mm is going away, but NOT the 120. <p/>I don't know why KODAK doesn't make the supplier memo public as they do with their pre-announced list. These announcements here are getting rather silly.

I believe that the notice referred to in the original post was an artifact from the shift a few years ago of B&W film production to one plant. That prompted a re-branding of Plus-X and Tri-X, and also involved some subtle changes in development times (in the case of Tri-X, anyway---don't remember if Plus-X changed all that much). Some people thought the changes in Tri-X were not very subtle.

I think 120 film will enjoy a decent future as well. Recent threads about the rise of medium format photography among students and amateurs attest to this. Furthermore, I speak from experience since I'm one of those medium format shooters. Since purchasing my RZ almost three year ago I've shot much more then I ever did in my 35mm days. I get a great feeling every time I purchase a brick of my beloved Pan F+ since I know some of that money is going to a company that truly seems committed to keeping traditional b&w photography alive.

In the past few years (and this is after my purchase of 1D MkII) I have been shooting more film than digital. Mainly because of this; of the shots that I have taken, my favorite shots have been taken with Tri-X with my 1V. In the past 2 years I have eBay'd my way into ownership of an RZ, an M3, and an old Rolleiflex 2.8C. From many sources and readings I don't think this is such an uncommon situation.

I don't use Plux X often, since it to me is middle of the road in terms of film speed (I usually use either 25 or 400 ISO). But the times I did, it was usually used on landscapes or such. It has a good look for this purpose. Kodak would be smart to bring back a run of Pan X, and that would stop me from bothering with Plus X and even Efke 25.

• 3 weeks later...