A negative number for a folder used to mean a folder was not viewable by others . . . but now

johncrosley

The last Administration initiated a change to folder numbering.

It made a folder number preceded by a negative (-) sign not viewable to the

general membership and was viewable by the photographer only.

I made one of my folders 'private' or 'semi-private' in that way.

I just came to the site, not signed in as a member, and find that I can access

that negative numbered folder and it's featured in the 'slideshow'.

This is causing me some personal embarrassment.

Can you please tell me if this is a bug, or if the negative numbering of a

folder no longer means that it is not viewable by the public and the general

membership.

This curious mind wants to know.

John (Crosley)

Can you see the folder when you go to your portfolio view? If you can, a mistake has been made. There was no intention of removing the "hidden" folder option.

That having been said, the "hidden" folder option does not stop people from seeing your images if they somehow get to that folder. If you have images that are private enough to cause you embarrassment, then putting them on photo.net is probably not a good idea.

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member

shows folders with negative sequence numbers

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos

does not show folders with negative sequence numbers.

It appears the required condition is not present in the former. I'm not sure why this is the case.

Note to self: proc gallery_photos_user_contributions needs "and f.folder_sequence > 0". File /photonet/tcl/gallery-user-contributions.tcl . Should be easy, but does require a restart of the server cluster.

Josh,

I can NOT see the two-photo folder when I open the option for viewing the entire portfolio, which means, apparently, that that particular software set recognizes the folder as 'hidden'.

However, under the new slideshow option, the folder is viewable as a slide show.

It is not that I did anything to be embarrassed about; it's just that I said one thing and someone looked and saw another which is the cause of embarrassment, not that there is anything wrong and/or illicit about my showing those photos --- just that it makes me appear untruthful in this instance, which I have not been.

I regarded those photos as being 'hidden', said so, and because they are not, my word has become suspect.

So, is it a 'bug' as I suspect in the new slideshow software that it does not recognize the 'negative' numbered folders and not display those (again, I had checked as a person not signed in, to get the view the general public would get.)?

I do not post things that will cause extensive personal embarrassment even in 'private' folders, in part because of the possibility of 'bugs', programming changes, or policy changes, so I am not worried about having posted those images.

A curious mind continues to inquire.

John (Crosley)