Why don't photographers get the same respect?

will king

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

A famous chef hires a photographer to photograph some of his entrees for

advertisements. The chef is so impressed with the photographs, he also hires

the photographer for a family portrait. Again, the chef is amazed at the

quality of the photographs and says to the photographer, ?You must have a

really great camera because it takes extraordinary pictures.? The chef invites

the photographer to his restaurant for a meal on the house. The photographer

orders a 7 course meal and enjoys every bite. The photographer compliments the

chef by saying ?You must have some really good pots and pans, because the food

was delicious.?

Last summer a friend who is a musician asked if I would take some photos of his kids out tubing behind the boat at his cottage. When I e-mailed a few jpegs to him, he responded by saying " Wow! " those are great photos. I should get a good camera like yours, so I can take shots like that." I replied " Yeah and I'll go out and buy a guitar like yours, so I can play like you do! "

Photographers don't get the same respect because their tools have Auto-everything modes that are almost guaranteed to give acceptable results. For the average joe who's just upgraded from a point & shoot, or even from a point & shoot film camera, the results from a digital DSLR in Auto mode in their eyes can be not just acceptable, but incredible. Once that average joe is giddy with excitement from the results of his new camera and its Auto-everything settings that produce incredible results, he really can't see the difference between what he's shooting and what an overpaid hot-shot wedding photographer is shooting (for example). Hence, if he can't see a difference between his results and a pro's results (even if they're painfully obvious to a pro) then he too must be as good as a pro.

For proof of what I'm saying, I refer you to all the countless threads on P.net complaining about their low/average ratings (when they feel they clearly deserve much higher), as well as countless other threads elsewhere from newbs who have had their new DSLR for a few weeks, are getting bored, and are asking how to get their first gig in the wedding photography/portrait/commercial business to make the camera pay for itself.

Not a knock against newbs or average joes, but just my thoughts on why photographers don't get the same respect. Pots and pans, word processors, paint brushes all only operate in MANUAL mode meaning there's no assistance in the background to let you achieve results much better than your skills would allow for. So if you're good you get respect.

In keeping with the humour of the OP's post, my favourite is "If you buy a piano you own a piano....if you buy a camera you're a photographer."

"How humble the tool when praised for what the hand has done." Dag Hammarskjold. I suspect photographers aren't the only profession or craft where one's equipment is given the credit for the person.

In the end, though, we're fighting all the corporate ads which sell exactly that, buy our stuff and become a professional overnight. And look at all the books to sell you the idea you can become a professional over a weekend and sell your photos immediately.

In short we're fighting gravity, and as everyone always experiences, gravity wins all bets.

Take a random person off the street and give them a camera on full auto mode and they will eventually make a good photo. Take a random person off the street and give them some pots and pans. Will they make a good meal? Probably not.

Besides being paid, what sets a pro photographer apart is that they turn in consistent high quality results. They don't just get lucky every once in a while.

That was the best one so far. LOL

Despite the fact that a lot of people are content with bad food, bad music and bad photography, thankfully some people can still tell the difference. Once that is gone there will be no more photographers, chefs and musicians and we'll be left with cellphone cameras, fast food and Britney Spears!

On the other hand, when I'm shooting with my Rolleiflex planar TLR or Speed Graphic 4x5 people tend to look at the camera and think it's primitive technology. When they see the photos they think "Man, that guy must be an amazing photographer to get such nice photos from such an old camera." :)

How do we expect people to react when the majority of photo websites and mags concentrate on the gear? It seems to me a higher percentage of photographers, from enthusiasts to professionals think that much of the magic is in the gear, than the percentage of the general population who thinks that. Compare the number of film vs digital, Nikon vs Canon, 30D vs 40D type of threads to threads asking about light or artful aspects of photography. It's over 100 to 1.

I've been putting off portraits of a handsome couple for several years.

They've seen me with a Canon P, they know it's a special camera, they think I'm better than I am. I plan to do the portraits with sheet film, to maintain the illusion.

I did a casual portrait of a man and his infant grandson. I'm proud of it. He asked me to photograph his wedding. I resisted, then yeilded, because I'm no good at weddings. He persisted because he was convinced by the portrait. I don't deserve respect for the wedding.

<i> "I have only recently bought a DSLR and whereas I get FANTASTIC shots with it, I did my first wedding shoot with a disposable camera and the pictures were just as good!" </i>

<br> <br> If that's truly the case, you may want to practice a bit more on your DSLR. I know equipment is only a fraction of the equation of producing great photographs, but come on. That's like saying <i> "I can complete a race driving scooter as fast as if I were driving a Porcshe"

i recall the cartoon too, i still want to recite it to someone.

my dad has a P/S camera, one one trip with him i brought along my Mamiya 645 with a Phase

One P25 digital back. we went on a hike to some water falls, he wanted a shot of me by the

falls. so i gave him the camera and set it on auto everything. the shot was out of focus

amoung other things. that takes the cake.

"...so i gave him the camera and set it on auto everything. the shot was out of focus amoung other things. that takes the cake."

LOL, I hear ya, my wife always complains that there aren't enough photos of me kicking around and when she takes my camera to snap a few, they're either blurry (I don't think she'll ever understand how shutterspeed affects the photo) or they're badly composed (she crops the top of my head to my eyebrows but captures my belt?).

On a side note, I wonder what aperture disposable point and shoots are set at?