Why don't photographers get the same respect?

will king

Anyone with at least one working index finger is a photographer. At least that's the running joke going around the office lately. I'll go even one step further to make that a bloody stump of an index finger, gnawed down to the second knuckle by an angry wolverine fed up by having to look at one more damned photo of a badger.

It might help if the photography magazines the public sees in the supermarket actually had good photos on the cover instead of a paid advertisement for the latest Canikon.

Once I realized that there really isn't any good photography INSIDE (!) of photography magazines, either, I began looking through wedding and womens' magazines at the grocery store. Now, there's some good photography going on in those - by actual working photographers no less.

You wouldn't believe the looks I get paging through womens' magazines. Since I dress way too badly to be gay everyone just assumes I'm a perv.

I might sound elitist, but I think the reason photography has not attained the level of respect that painters, filmmakers, or sculptors receive is that very few photographers have the sort of vision that addresses the major issues that artists have struggled with. Is there a photographic equivalent to "Citizen Kane" or Van Gogh's "Starry Night" or any of Rodin's sculpture or Alexander Calder's for that matter? I don't think so, and I'm not sure why other than the fact that since photographs are so easily reproducible, they are not considered individual pieces. Another reason may be the huge commercial push by companies that develop and sell photography products for the consumer. They've taken the lead by creating an environment where photography is seen as an industry more than anything else. Even limited editions of lithographs, woodcuts, or etchings have a prominent place in the world of art, and in fact, I think 'coffee table' books of art reproductions have more 'cache' than most books of photography. One example is from my own experience. I have two of Salvador Dali's woodcuts from his 'Divine Comedy' series; each 'print' is one of a 'limited edition' of 4,000 (not all that limited), but I am always finding new elements of meaning and beauty in them. I've have rarely found a photography 'forum' or criticism--either in books, the internet, or magazines that focuses on photography as a medium of both aesthetics and meaning. There are exceptions, and museums that produce photography exhibitions usually discuss the work as art more than technique. A lot of photographers seem to be hung up on photographs needing to be 'pleasing' or 'pretty.' As Picasso said, there is no rule that art should be pretty. When I was a teenager, what made me interested in photography was seeing the works of Bill Brandt and Brassai. Both had utterly different styles, but at least they had style.

It's simple. Anyone can pick up a camera and create a photograph. That may not make them any good, but it's easy to get deluded. It's the same in some other areas. A lot of people who can manage to drive on the freeway fancy themselves a fraction of an inch from the Indy 500. In some other areas, lack of skill becomes much more pointed - drawing, swimming the English Channel, etc.

This thread is great... I've laughed out loud a couple times. I'm reminded of my friend who likes to say, "Be careful, I know Karate... and seven or eight other Chinese words!"

Seriously, and to come at this a tad differently, I think photographer's are only one group who don't get a measure of respect that's commensurate with their skill and ability. Musicians, illustrators, teachers... I could go on and on... the point I want to make is that anyone who is really good at what they do makes it look easy, and that makes it easy for others to discount that person's hard work and talent.

Now, getting back to the humor... do you know how many drummers it takes to change a light bulb? Three. One to change the bulb, and two to say, "I could do that!"

I got exactly that this morning. An old gent came in for a shot...saw the image and said.."Geez that's a good camera you have there!" I smiled back at him while I put the money in the till. "Yes...it's a ripper eh!...makes it real easy. You have a great day!"

You have to take the bad with the good. People don't always say exactly what they mean...and don't always mean exactly what they say.

Though when my mum said I was a beautiful baby...I know she was speaking the truth.

Sorry guy but to say the type of pots and pans makes a difference in the same regard photography equipment does means you've never been in a kitchen. I promise you I'd MUCH rather try to take high quality photographs than cook a gourmet 7 course dinner! A chef could MUCH sooner take some wonderful photographs handed the right equipment than I could create a wonderful meal given a chef's kitchen and every implement known to man.

I'm pretty sure you only need an adjustable wrench to pass yourself off as a plumber, I suspect a drain snake makes you a master plumber. In my neighbourhood every second guy who owns a hammer is going to tell you that he's a carpenter. In the end it all comes down to the same thing. You can buy the hardware but it does not do much good to own a hammer and call yourself a carpenter if you can't build a dog house.

<I>Stop me if you've heard this one before. </I><P>

Okay, I've heard it before but in its original form before it got morphed. The true story goes back almost 100 years:<P>

When Jack London had his portrait made by the noted San Francisco photographer Arnold Genthe, London began the encounter with effusive praise for the photographic art of his friend and fellow bohemian, Genthe. "You must have a wonderful camera...It must be the best camera in the world...You must show me your camera."

<P>

Genthe then used his standard studio camera to make what has since become a classic picture of Jack London. When the sitting was finished, Genthe could not contain himself: "I have read your books, Jack, and I think they are important works of art. You must have a wonderful typewriter."

James G. Dainis

From my own personal experience. A number of years ago I was at the Grand Canyon shooting with a Hasselblad when this person said ?WOW a Hasselblad. You have to be getting better pictures than me!? He was using a Bronica (ETRS I think). So I said the only thing that came to mind ?YEP!? and walked on.