It is hard to be a newbie/beginner on this site......

Okay some background first......I am a married mother of 2 small children and

have not worked outside the home since my daughter was born 15 months ago. I

have always 'played' around with photography and considered it a hobby. Well the

cards have played out just right for me and I am starting a photography

business. I have a Nikon D40 and am in the process of purchasing studio

equipment - Lights, meters, backdrops, monitor calibration system and so forth.

So I thought I would use this site for helpful information....

What I found is this:

Alot of people offer great advise and are very courteous with their answers and

straight forward - that is very helpful and I have learned a great deal from them.

Thanks to all of YOU!

Others, seem to get aggitated with those of us asking questions, because, then

they start assuming we are idiots and attacking our knowledge or our decision to

even try photography. It is great to have so many talented photographers with

such great experience to learn from, but why do they feel the need to put

everyone else down. Not all of them are this way - but some.

Even the greatest had to begin somewhere AND there is always someone that is

greater.....

Just my observation - and was wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

Just as in real life, on the internet you need a bit of a thick skin to deal with the public.

Just ignore the stupid people as you would ignore them at your local bar. If your question is getting answered, you are in good shape. And in all honesty, virtually every question on this site gets an accurate answer.

Outright insults or personal attacks are one thing, and we do not allow them. But we aren't the PC police and are not going to run around sanitizing every comment on every thread.

I have read that some others do indeed feel the same way, but please don't worry. Even those of us with a little more knowledge still get shot down in flames by the "uberklasse" who know more about photography than they do about etiquette. Most of us are real friendly.

One thing I should suggest though, without sounding derogatory, is that you try to use the search function (top right corner of your screen). I'm guessing almost everything you might want to know (at least at this level) will already have been asked and answered dozens of times. Certainly questions such as which set of lights, which lightmeters, which monitor calibration systems (I searched that last night!) etc have been answered ad-nauseum.

Of course if you really want to ask again, then by all means do so, and in such situations, we all need to be a little thick skinned. Some people will undoubtedly come back with the suggestion above.

Welcome aboard Heather! I for one will be more than happy to help you where I can.

Best regards,

Guy

I agree Heather... it can be tough sometimes trying to get simple advice and answers just because it seems like people are trying to scare you away sometimes. I can't tell you how many posts I've read that contain a comment along the lines of "sorry but if you don't know THAT, well, then you really have no right to be shooting such and such." But you just have to brush those comments aside and bask in the glory of the great advice and feedback that others give. The people on this website are extremely passionate about photography and their passion manifests itself in various forms...sometimes even hostility. Personally, I've found that there are people willing to pay me for my services because even though my images are far from high art, they are still better than what Uncle Ned and his Pentax can do. And by continually practicing and experimenting and reading, my craft will only get better despite the naysayers. Good luck on your new photography venture! (and as a CPA I'd recommend investing in an easy to use accounting package like quickbooks so you have legs to stand on come tax time)

Thanks you guys, a couple of you I have learned alot from by reading through your answers to questions (I do use the search when I can). You all are not the ones I am referring too, but have no fear (lol - that sounds like a cartoon) I am not going anywhere.

I really like these forums and I know that the good out-way the bad. I am not really saying they are bad; however, they just don't know how to humble themselves when answering a question.

But thanks again to all of you that are helpful AND courteous!

Oh don't you believe it, there are some seriously BAD people on here. You have to be especially careful if you're using the site alone at night. You should always use the site in groups of two or more.

I think the admin are in the process of developing a "notoriety" function - it's based on the photographers self portrait in their profile and the notoriety is apparently inversely proportional to the distance between their eyebrows!

Seriously though Heather. Just have fun!

Guy

yeah, yeah, whatever :-) :-) :-) (just kidding!) I looked at your portfolio after my earlier reply and although they are not the kind of pictures I take, they are very good and I like them a lot and can see why you are going to open your own business and I have no doubt that you will do quite well-just keep doing what you're already doing. I left a comment/rate on your shot of the little boy and his puppy. Terrific! cb

Heather--

You've gotten a lot of nice answers from seemingly good people and I was happy to read

them. I've seen the other kind of responses you're talking about and always feel badly when I

do. But thick skin and internet seem to be a good partnership. I went to your homepage to

see your photos, but none there yet. I hope you will post some that you're proud of or at

least that you'd like us to see. I always like seeing seeing the work of newcomers. It's

sometimes among the most refreshing stuff.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Charles - I guess you got the wrong portfolio - I don't have any yet - But I am working on it!

Fred - I am trying to get some ready to post - I stay pretty busy with a boy in Kindergarten and 15 month old daughter :) But that said - I have some beautiful subjects to photograph :)

I will post some really soon - I promise!

You're right with what you say, and the 'thick skin' answers are right too!

I'm here because of my interest in looking at pictures, and gaining inspiration from other people. So far, after 10 months or so, I've had a problems with only 1 ego. It disappointed me for a while, but not anymore, because there are a thousand wonderful souls who now drown out his voice!

This is a 'church'! (the only people who are here, WANT to be here!)

PS - NO offence meant to anyone!

Enjoy!

Shaun

have you heard the expression " 2 years experience 10 times"

or 20 years experience? there are people like that.

just because they got their first camera in 1990, they think they know all there is to know. even if they never went inside a darkroom.

another thing is that we all have a different life experience and background. this influences our abswers.

The meek shall inherit the earth.

There are some genuine Arschlochen on the internet and some of them are on this website at times. However, if an question stimulates harsh criticism, it is worth the time of the original poster to ask why. Was, for example, any effort made to find whether there were already threads in archive on the topic at hand? Was there something about the post such as use of ALL CAPS, or unneek spelllings to annoy people? Of course, having asked that question, just ignore the genuine twits and try to deal with the real answers to your question.

I have not looked at your previous posts, and so I am speaking only in general terms, not those specifically linked to you.

Heather -- why not post some of your better works here in your account? You got EXCELLENT answers on RAW vs. JPG basic question; some people have their own attitude/emotions/methods in answering.

Also if I dare suggest, become a subscriber because for DSLR photography there are not any better forums anywhere. Like Josh said, you'll get accurate, well tested answers here without the B.S. but alas! perhaps some of the arrogance. Just live with it. You'll grow out of the rookie PS/DSLR phase quickly with your successful studio, all the best!

I think a response rather early in this thread nailed it rather well - because the one thing that I think all the participants here have in common is their passion for photography. Passionate people can be a rather mixed bunch of grapes, and I sometimes come upon threads where know-it-alls are in the process of bickering - usually between themselves, and I often stop myself from responding because I know that if I disagree with them I'd just spur them on and I'd rather not get involved in any online arguments about anything. Since I am a passionate person myself, it's not good for my digestion if I get too involved in such things =P<p>

I think on the whole, most people here are friendly and keen to help, and most would also not bother you too much if a question has been asked before - it is after all not easy to find certain specifics of what you want to know, perhaps even more so if related questions have been asked many times before and there are many threads to look through that perhaps come close but not really has the information you're after. When I respond, I generally try not referring to the fact that a question might have been answered before.<p>

If you compare this to some of the forums on dpreview.com - particularly the "owner's opinions" of cameras yet to be released - I think it's very friendly and laidback here.

When I first came to this site, I got some pics that I thought were pretty good, threw them up, and they were unceremoniously crucified by commenters.

I appreciated the feedback but sometimes I would have appreciated a little KY with some of those comments.

A couple of times I had to throw up a new thread asking what it is I need to do to correct commented on flaws...ie 'flat' or lack of contrast B&W's...and I learned.

Now, a few years later, I see those comments were right on target and in the end helped me grown from a 'inovermyhead' amateur to a treading water amateur.

Hang in there Heather, tactless thugs abound...just ran into one the other day. As a youngster I equated age with grace and wisdom but have since been proven wrong. Harsh responses say infinitely more about the responder and their unfortunate, sad state.

As a newbie myself the forums have been my primary photography education. In the beginning, this site is where I first learned f/stops and shutter speeds. After I learned how to work my camera, I learned composition, or in other words, how to WORK WITH my camera. As my experience level goes up and my interests broaden (or narrow) the answers I need are always here.

The one piece of advice I would give you is that when you ask a question you should be very specific. Very specific questions get the most immediate and accurate answers. There are people here who know more about Copal shutters than I know about photography in its entirety. Help them help you.

There are far more nice, helpful people on this site than there are bad people. Even those you might classify as 'bad' at first will in time win you over as extremely arrogant, but not really bad.

Something to keep in mind as you ask questions is that this is a site devoted entirely to photography. Therefore the people on this site are immersed into a specific passion. Then, within this narrow passion are countless subsets of interests within photography. Inside those subsets are people who still specialize in a smaller piece of that group. To some of these people, this isn't a hobby. They are as specialized in their work as any surgeon. Go ask a surgeon why your feet itch. It's a legit question to you, but to the surgeon it's such a broad and open question that it's impossible to answer without asking you fifty questions in return. They'd love to help you, but the question comes off as a waste of time.

If your experiences are anything like mine, I think you will discover that you will learn more from these forums than you ever will from photography magazines or books. The vast expanse of knowledge and experience on here is a tremendous gift to any aspiring photographer.

Ask direct questions, write concisely, and you're more likely to get useful answers than if you blather about who you are before you do it.

I don't think the people who have your answers have the patience to read long questions.