Canon vs Nikon

sai

Don't get me wrong! I don't want to be beating up or anything, ok?

I have a Canon DSRL, I own Canon lenses with IS, USM and hopefully soon an L.

And I love all my gear and the results that Canon gives me.

But...

Do you think Nikon could offer more things than Canon most of the time?

I mean if you look at the specs. of two cameras, same price range, and you

compare them, I find that Nikon gives more than Canon for the same (less) price.

Small things like many more AF points, a wider exposure compensation range ( +/-

5 ), UDMA Support, for faster writing speed, Higher ISO... I'm a prosumer

photographer and I have never used a D series camera, so maybe these type of

cameras have all this and I shouldn't be saying all this, but when I compare my

EOS 350D against the Nikon D40 or D 80 I think, why is it that I started with Canon?

Just my opinion,

What do you think?

Aside from this likely being a troll, at any given time, one or the other is slightly ahead of the other one.

I would say, that since the 1980s, Canon has been more innovative in the long run than Nikon, but market pressures keep them very close together.

When I went to Canon from older film Nikon cameras, Nikon had no 8MP camera in the prosumer range. Maybe that's why you got a 350? Also, my old non-AI lenses would not work on a NIkon dSLR, but would on Canon.

Nowadays, Nikon has just introduced some long-awaited items, but soon Canon will upgrade, then Nikon will respond, then ............

I use a 350D too but have only read about the Nikon.

To me they're so similar that I don't see the benefit of switching to one after you've invested in the other. They both share the same glaring defect as I see it, namely a pentamirror viewfinder.

I would rather upgrade to a 40D for the obvious ergonomic benefits, although I wouldn't do that any time soon because the 350D suits me just fine.

But if you have the resources, why not switch and let us know how it goes?

I maintain that both make very good equipment. The quality of good pictures does not come from subtle technical difference between systems. I think I could fulfill assignments and accomplish weddings with any number of different combinations of gear. My previous work with manual focus MF gear looks just as good as my digital stuff. Digital is more convenient but I have seen some pretty stunning stuff done on a point and shoot by good photographers.

A good photographer, and I have seen many, can make good pictures with what he or she has. An L lens (and I have three) doesn't help me with composition, subject matter or capturing emotions. If you get close it might be sharper if you are shooting for publication or big enlargements. The technical help I needed was more light for sports, a wider angle for groups. I think my fascination with a lot bells and whistles is a fetish. There are certainly times when I wish I had my mostly manual Bronicas and an incident meter back. I thought through my pictures more thoroughly than I do when the camera is set on "P". and I firmly believe my Vivitar 283s gave more consistent results than my current Canon flash. Where I like digital is the prints I can make without sweating and choking in my darkroom. My separate and more difficult course has been to try to bring more art to my photography not more features, many of which I never use.

Simon, everything you say about N you can say about C.

Choose the system that will allow you to do your best -- maybe you're influenced by a local pro or a top shooter; odds are 90% or higher he'll be shooting N or C.

N has 'x' advantages over C, while C has 'y' advantages over N.

If you always will still with the lowest consumer model DSLR then it really DOES NOT MATTER which system you choose.

Is that whether it is Canon or Nikon, or Pentax does not make a hell of a lot of difference in the output. They are all better than what it takes to make most good pictures. The question is a troll and cannot be resolved only discussed ad nauseum as it has many times over. You may buy one shovel because you think it is better but they will both dig the same sized hole unless you need a specialized implement for a very specific purpose.

" Small things like many more AF points, a wider exposure compensation range ( +/- 5 " etc. etc.

No. If you a gear junkie - then go and get more AF points and/or (put whatever makes you happy here). But do not pretend it is because you want better images. Any reasonable gear from Canon or Nikon gives you capabilities which far exceed the abilities of 99% of photographers. Well - maybe you belong to that 1% - but then you wouldn't be asking this question, would you ?

Do not stress overmuch about equipment. Learn, take pics, be happy. Life is too short to worry about couple more AF points.

D40 only has 3 AF points. BTW, I don't even have to look that up because I shoot exclusively with Nikon DSLRs.

The D300 may be a better camera than the 40D, I hope it is because I will be spending almost $500 more on it than on a 40D, but I won't be upset if they are essentially the same of if the 40D turns out to be better. Seems like the Nikon bodies have more features and more intuitive controls than Canon bodies, but Canon has a distinct high ISO edge (pending the D3 release, which is just one $5000 body in Nikon's lineup) and Canon glass costs a little less than Nikon glass. Basically, you get what you pay for; and the longer you wait the more you get, so a lot of the value question ends up being determined by when you bought the camera rather than what company made it.

<P><I>... I'm a prosumer photographer ...</I> What the --. If this is not a troll, the poster is seriously misled about photography. (Or maybe I'm misjudging him and he really does spend all day taking pictures of prosumers.)</P>

For DSLRs it pretty much does -- C & N have their way. The scope of this post is limited to SLRs so yes, it does revolve around them. Everyone else watches from afar. Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Sony, Pentax? I cannot remember a time in the last year I've seen one of these being used, ever.

I have a friend with an old 3MP Nikon who looks down on my 6MP Canon 10D. If I got a new Canon 40D it still wouldn't be as good as his Nikon!

There was a time when this bias was based on fact and Canon was considered to be the poor man's Nikon but there is little to choose between them now. Probably more to the point is which one produces the best lenses.

Just a thought - is it true that Nikon users drive larger and faster cars?

Hey Beau, trick question for you. Which camera was used to make the image below. Please look at the image and then come back to the answer.

So, was it Canon, Nikon or a 3.1 mp Kodak P&S. Yes, it's the Kodak.

Simon, you can't be serious.<div>00N95J-39458384.jpg.a39b681ce3a2818dc0b025d52cf1254e.jpg</div>

<blockquote><i>Just a thought - is it true that Nikon users drive larger and faster cars?</i></blockquote><p>

No, but the last thing I heard was that they have bigger pen!ses and have less need for Çiàlïs or \/lÅg®ã. Or was it the other way round...? But maybe it was them Leica users....

"And I love all my gear and the results that Canon gives me. But... "

...there's those af points.

"...why is it that I started with Canon?"

You did not take into account the af points.

"What do you think?"

I can't find any af points on my Spotmatic, so I guess I don't think anything about it.