Fortepan 400 B/W

joe_nash1

Larry, that I don't know. I had a local guy who does tons of B/W film do it. He was not in when I picked up the film. The film came with an instruction sheet for developing, and I know he would have developed it using those instructions. On looking at the negatives, I notice that mid roll the edge was exposed to light. The camera I used has never had a light leak before, and it is a Zeiss Ikon Contessa which is tight as a frog's ass is watertight. Maybe I got a bad roll, it was made in Hungary, so who knows, it may have got radiated in shipment.

I had this problem recently with a roll of 120 Fortepan 400 that I developed myself. Following the instructions on the film box, I developed in Kodak D76, 1:1 for 10.5 minutes. I agitated for 5 seconds every 30 seconds.

The negatives came out looking underexposed. It turns out that they were underdeveloped. What the instructions did not make clear was that the development time was for undiluted D76. In fact, a preliminary search on the net did not give any development times for Fortepan 400 in diluted D76. Seems like undiluted is the only way to go.

It might be that the lab which did your processing made the same assumption I did. If anyone has suggestions for Fortepan 400 in D76 1:1, I would love to hear them. My understanding is that developing in straight D76 gives more grain than with diluted.

Mike

• 10 months later...

Did you try the makers reccomended time of 10 .5 min in stock D76?

I have just got a brick of 120 roll Forte 400.

Anyone here use other developers from Agfa or Paterson? I was wondering about the Adox A49 (old Atomal) and Paterson Aculux.

I was going to try D76 for one roll and see if I got decent results, but it isn't exactly economical to work with.

At least the roll done in D76/ID11 would serve as a baseline when tuning a time for another soup.