Canon 30D

frank_smiley

And exactly why did your instructor recommend a 5D? Or better why is a 30D not good

enough for your course?

I mean the 5d is a great camera and full frame, so it has without question a slightly better

image quality than the 30D and a bit less noise.

But that said I would first try out the 30D.

Basically if you cannot take good pictures with a 30D then you also can't take good ones

with a 5D. They are both excellent cameras and good enough for professional pictures.

Stay with what you have and if you have money spare get a decent set of lenses.

Hey Frank

First of all it is truly a personal preference for you whether you want to shoot full frame (5D) or use a cropped body for now as your 30D is.

If it were me (and it is because I am in the same situation) I would stay with the 30D because it is a very nice camera and since you are new to the DSLR world and cameras in general I am assuming then this is a great start.

The 5D is also a very nice camera but I guess it also depends on what it is you are looking to shoot and where you plan to go with your photography? Is it going to be for fun and a hobby or is it a future career or at least part time for extra income? Plenty to choose from and many lenses and cameras will assist you better in the area of shooting you would like to do but truly I think you made a good choice with the 30D and get a nice lens to start with and you are in business.

My instructor also "recommended" going with a 5D and a few other store associates I had visited but since I am learning more and more each day with photography and I do plan to have a cropped body (20D, 30D, 40D) to learn from and eventually get a full frame sensor body (5D?)to complete my system but this is because I plan to go into wedding photography among other venues so it will be needed.

Really it depends on where you are looking to take this? How far are you looking to go with the photography? What do you plan to shoot?

The 5D is dropping in price but I still went with the 1.6x body (40D) and I do not regret it at all. I was actually going to get the 30D to be honest because I do love the camera but I had extra money and figured I may as well get the 40D for a few extra worthwhile features.

Jason

My 2 cents, Unless you find another instructor, I would follow the instructor. It can get more complicated later on. It is a specific architecture photography course. Such as, do you get a cheaper 20mm or 24mm prime or an $400 more expensive EFs 10-22 zoom. How do you deal with un-inviatable distortion and flare. How do you get a wide angle shift lens on a 1.6X sensor. Yes you can get by with a 30D but do you want to go against the grain with the instructor. You can of-couse shoot film but then you have a lens system issue switching back and fore. It is not like 30D has no used market.

There are several good wide zoom lens choices for the 30D, and for architecture you don't really need a prime lens as long as the zoom is relatively distortion free. The 10-22 should be fine. The best reason for moving up to a 5D is for use with tilt/shift lens. If he has one to loan you it might be nice to have the 5D, otherwise why do it?

Come on, he only said that you should look at it! Sounds like some kind of assignment, maybe he wonders if you don't know what a 5D looks like. Tell him that you examined it throughly and you discovered it is not so well suited for architecture, so would he please take a look at large format view cameras....

the 5D has better high ISO performance (useful for interior photography) and can make better use of a wide-angle lens (no 1.6x factor). I assume that the tilt-and-shift lens works just as well in crop body (can't see why not), but if not then that is not a major problem since perspective correction can be done in post-processing nowadays.

<p><i>how is a 30D a better camera than a 5D"</i></p>

<p>The 30D has a faster frame rate and flash sync, and above all over $1000 cheaper. While those may not matter to some, for others, the framerate & crop factor alone makes it the better camera (i.e. for sports or bird photographers). For "everyone else", then the 5D can easily be called the better camera. Contrary to what too many people believe, the 5D is not the "one size fits all" camera.

The problem with a 24mm tilt-shift lens on a 30D is that it now behaves like a 38mm tilt-shift lens. If that's what you want, fine, but then you no longer have a wide tilt-shift lens. Also the viewfinder is smaller and trying to see the effects of the schleimpflug principal would be difficult. But then, it's not all that easy on a 5D either.

Frank:

Your instructor sounds like one of those who can't wait to get to the camera store on a monday morning to buy more stuff, hoping it will make up for his/her lack of skill as a photographer.

There's not a thing in the world wrong with a 30D - as the other gent said, I'd be more tempted to replace the instructor.

Maybe the instructor owns a 5D so that he can recomend it. I would say this is quite a pricey recomendation, unless you are taking this Architecture class at Harvard or Princeton.

Many instructors fail to realize that some students are on a budget. They get a couple of working professionals, or people with day jobs who can afford 5D's and forget all about the 20 year old kid working at the nearby Supermartket for minimum wage