mark u

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course Bob has been busy too:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_40D.html

IS in the kit lens probably doesn't add a lot to cost (I'd guess no more than $40, although the price for the lens may be somewhat higher): I doubt it will be good for more than about 2 stops to meet the competition. After all, it has been available in quite modestly priced digicams for a while now, and the kit lens is slow, so the moving element(s) will be small and light.

Likely the IS kit lens will have better optics. But probably not by much.

I'm thinking the 40D will make a nice upgrade from my 10D. The new viewfinder and Super-Precision Matte screen are probably the biggest new features for me.

Might even be tempted to trade in some/most of my 35mm film kit on it, I'm going MF for film anyways.

Looks like I'm not the only one that's been waiting for this significant upgrade. Yeahoo! Finally a true, interchangeable focusing screen, and spot metering, plus a 3" LCD.

Let's hope that the new AF sensor doesn't suffer from the same wackiness that the MK III suffers from.

CP

I had absolutely no expectation of seeing IS in the body of the 40D, but I'm still dissapointed by it not being there :-(

I've been tetsing a Sony A100 for photo.net (to be published soon) and I was impressed by the stabilization feature. On an 18-70 or 16-80 zoom it was pretty much as effective at stbilization as the Canon EF-S 17-85IS optical stabilization system.

$200 for an IS version of the kit lens isn't bad, but it still doesn't give me access to any fast AF primes and it doesn't make any of my current non-IS lenses stabilized.

Canon really need to thing seriously about putting IS in the body, at least for their consumer models. There are technical difficulties with full frame, but for APS-C it's easy and it must be cheap if Sony can make a 10MP camera with a stbilized sensor and sell it for $600. Pentax sell the stabilized 100D for around $450.

Even if the Canon IS system costs $50, it's still $50 per lens and there's no room to stick it in most normal/wide primes anyway.

Otherwise the 40D looks to me like a real winner. I suppose I'll break down and pre-order one tomorrow, despite the lack of body based stabilization. Canon probaly knew that...

I'll be running full previews of the 40D and 1Ds MkIII here on photo.net as soon as the Canon embargo on pre-publication expires. Not that we actually have any advanced info from Canon of course!

Had 40D issued with inbody IS I would buy it and likely become a single system owner.

I use two brand systems, Eos Film and Pentax Digital. Neither of my 6mp pentax dslrs need to be replaced but with price drops to $679 (B&H) for K10D I am considering getting one. Its dropped $240 since December 2006 issue price at B&H.

From what I've read the Pentax anti shake body is superior to the Sony Alpha Bob mentioned he's testing for a review. Pentax is also 1.5x crop as is Sony Alpha and they use the same sensors. Also, from what I read Nikon D80 uses identical 1.5x sony made sensor. So Canon and Nikon are ignoring an interesting technology that is quite innovative. I buy a K10D and all the pentax glass I own becomes IS.

If I buy two K10D, one for me and one for my wife, the pair will run what the new Canon 40D issues at.

I had read the opposite, that the Sony IS system was better than the Pentax!

I'm hoping to get my hands on a K10D at some point. I think a K100D review is in progress here, but I don' tthink the K100D IS is as good as the K10D.

The best cost indicator for IS is the 70-200/2.8L. The IS and non-IS versions are oprically the same (which isn't true for the f4 version as far as I know). There's certainly more than a $50 difference there!

Both Canon and Nikon have themselves painted into a corner with respect to IS, having made big investments in IS technology. Optical Stabilization may well be much better for long telephotos (though I'm not aware of any tests which prove that), but for the vast majority of consmers, that's a matter of academic interest only since they will probably never buy a $7000 lens. In fact many will not buy any lenses costing over $500.

I would not be shocked to see Canon body IS in a Rebel before long. Not next time, but possibly the time after that, say 2009/2010.

<p>This may be a little offtopic, but the Nikon D3/D300 rumors on dpreview that Mark linked to seem a little odd to me. I'm mostly wondering about the D300's boost from 6FPS to 8FPS with a grip attached.

<p>Don't boosters on film bodies only give more power to the film transport motor? Isn't this nonsensical for a digital body, or am I completely wrong and it's also improving the speed of the mirror and shutter? If it's just a matter of supplying more power to the mirror and shutter, why not just provide a user-selectable function in the body to switch between low-drain and high-drain on the battery? The more I think about it, the less sense it all makes unless I'm missing something.

<p>Back on topic, if the 40D's specs are accurate, Canon will have my cash the day it's available. They've improved on the 30D in exactly the ways I had hoped. A nice big buffer, better viewfinder (maybe not bigger, but that Ef-S screen is <i>very</i> interesting to me), better framerate, better noise reduction. The 9 cross-type AF sensors are a pleasant surprise as well.

Interesting. I look foward to your review Bob. From what I read Pentax enhanced and improved their IS to work in two planes whereas the Sony made version, which sony bought from Minolta bankruptcy is single plane IS and was not improved upon for the Minolta repackaged/rebranded Sony Alpha dslr.

Pentax 10Mp K10D I've read isn't as noiseless as my pair of Pentax 6mp non IS Dslr cameras are. My 6mp's do quite well at 1600 iso and both bodies go to 3200 iso whereas the K10D is noisey at 800iso and only goes to 1600iso. I wonder its K10D's noisier 10mp sensor that you've been investigating and reading the negative comments about?

Pentax is issuing a new improved 6mp with antishake and ability to use glass with lens motors (SDM). It might be this "K100D Super" becomes Pentax best performing antishake dslr which is issuing with kit lens at $599 in a few days or weeks. Its already on B&H website as "coming soon" and pentax announced it a couple months ago so its an official product.

Having a couple fine working K Mount dslrs inhand makes me more methodical in considering my next purchase and having Eos3 in my bag keeps me reading up on possibilites.

Pentax fast (2.8 prime) telephotoglass is way overdue (by several years) and thats a real problem for pentax' future as a camera system manufacturer. And this is the focal length area where Canon Shines!

This rather appealing 40D and continuing price drops on 5D (now $2549 at B&H) keeps me wondering who my future imaging system maker will be while I keep click'n away today.

"* Number of AF points: Nine, all cross-type AF points

* Center AF point: Unique hybrid cross-type AF point; world's first high-precision AF point with both horizontal and vertical high-precision; additional standard precision, cross-type sensors for lenses from f2.8 to f5.6"

not sure I believe this, but if it's true Canon has a home run on their hands. can't wait until that comes out in a 5DmkII.

"I had absolutely no expectation of seeing IS in the body of the 40D, but I'm still dissapointed by it not being there :-( I've been tetsing a Sony A100 for photo.net (to be published soon) and I was impressed by the stabilization feature."

Bob, if you're impressed by Sony's IS, try borrowing a Pentax K10D -- better implementation, faster focusing (not yet in the league of Canon/Nikon until their new motor-equipped lenses start shipping) and a more photographer-oriented user interface.

Aside from the lack of IS, the one thing that disappoints me about the 40D is Canon's decision to stick with CompactFlash cards, at a time when SD, which is more robustly designed, is available in ever larger sizes at dropping prices. The way the market is moving in 3-5 years time hardly anyone in photography or videography will be able to buy a camera with CF in it, so Canon's decision here was unfortunate.

How is SD more robustly designed? I'm actually curious, I can't find good information on any technical reason to prefer one or the other.

I'm partial to CF. I don't like tiny cards. CF is larger, heavier, and stiffer, and all of these are advantages to me. They also use a standard IDE/ATA pin interface, which I find comforting for some inexplicable reason.

I wouldn't want CF in some of the smaller devices today, but there's a practical limit to just how small an SLR can be, and it leaves plenty of room for the larger form factor.

DI

@Bob Atkins: The Pentax system (a full floating electromagnetic system capable of rotational correction as well as both vertical and horizontal shifts) is a much cleaner and more capable design than the Sony/Minolta system (which is a fixed two-axis rail-based design) although current Pentax implementations do not take full advantage of the system's capabilities (the system could offer a self-leveling sensor but doesn't currently).

The K10D also beats the Sony Alpha as a general camera by a significant margin, especially now that the SDM f2.8 pro zooms (which are fully sealed) are shipping. The Alpha really is a 10MP sensor in a K100D-class body and really isn't competition to the far more capable K10D and D80 bodies which share the same sensor (but thankfully not the processing, where Sony lags).

ISO 3200 is "H" not iso 3200 because it reduced dynamic range a bit and it may be done via means other than straight amplifier gain.

CF cards should be capable of higher capacities (SD tops out at 2GB, but SDHC is good for more). CF cards have on on-board controller and a wider data bus which should also make them faster - though they are already faster than most cameras need right now. Back "in the day" this made a difference, but SD technology is moving along. You can get an SD adapter that allows you to use SD cards in a CF slot. I don't know id SDHC adapters exist. The 1D solution is best, with the camera taking either CF or SD(HC) or both. I can't say I find contimued use of CF cards an issue. In fact since I have a bunch of CF cards, I'm rather glad they didn't switch to SD(HC)!

I'd really like to try a K10D. The Sony Alpha isn't bad, but I'd say it's 1 to 2 stops noisier than an EOS 20D. Other than that I quite like it, which is to say that there wasn't anything I really disliked about it!

"mars c, Aug 19, 2007; 08:47 a.m.

When it says :"* Wireless E-TTL: Fully compatible, including ratio setting over six-stop range"

Does this mean I could trigger the 430ex remotely , with out a master/ flash in the camera?"

Hmmm..that sounds appealing. Is this accurate? I believe the Fuji S5 PRO can do this, actually.