• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>> Listen Brad, you seem like a troll to me. So the knife cuts both ways.

How would you know? I've been here for 6 or so years. You can click on my name and see

some photos of mine. I click on yours and see..., well..., I don't even know that you're a

photographer.

www.citysnaps.net

Erik, thankyou kindly for the in-depth explanation of some of the bemefits of using the Apple platform. These seem like tangible advantages in theory, and in some instances, for certain users, real advantages. A very enlightening post that made my adventure here worthwhile. Even an unintentional troll can learn something new.

Thanks again, and thanks for taking the time despite the dubious nature of this thread.

Best Regards,

Jeff (the unintentional troll)

Brad, I'm pretty much just beginning my adventure in digital photography. I started with film around 1987, and I've never digitized my photography to post on the web. In fact, I'm just beginning to assemble the tools to practice digital photography having acquired the computing power I need to go along with my Nikon digital equipment (D200/D80/ some AIS lenses and a couple DX lenses).

I still do amateur analog photography in my home darkroom, but I've been a digital holdout until recently. I think I'm more of singer/songwriter/guitar player type than a photographer, but the pull of photography is always there calling me, so I hope to become as accomplished at photography as I am at music. Also, as you may have gathered, another hobby of mine is suping up my muscle car (a 2k Pontiac Trans Am) as well as enhancing the enjoyment of my latest toy, a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS with a 6.0 L Corvette LS2 engine. And I haven't even mentioned the Harley, a '98 FXD Dyna Super Glide, that I spend hours and hours working on. All this stuff are hobbies of mine. Oh yeah, bodybuilding as well.

So am I a photographer in the strictest sense, probably not, but I will begin very soon putting more time in taking pictures digitally. I'm really psyched and looking forward to it. Make of it what you will.

Best Regards

>>> So am I a photographer in the strictest sense, probably not, but I will begin very soon

putting more time in taking pictures digitally. I'm really psyched and looking forward to it.

Make of it what you will.

Good luck... All the best to you!

www.citysnaps.net

With a dual core imac we got last year; We bought a Mac upgrade version CS2 and used our older Mac Photoshop 5.5 and it (CS2) installed. The bizzare thing is that the older Mac that used 5,5 was long dead; and we wanted to install old Photoshop 5.5 on the new box; then install Cs2 also. The mac 10x OS of turrlenweck Steves locks out installing Photoshop 5,5; maybe its the master plan of contolling? We have some PC's with PS3, 4, 5.5, 7 Cs and CS2 all on one box; useful for opening the rare pesky file abbandoned by new PS versions. This with the latest Mac OS; the master plans of not supporting older software must be in the mac religion.

With a modern Mac OS you can install Parallels on the Mac ; install say win2000 or XP then add the older software not supported by the Mac OS; ie the PC version of older Photoshop. Thus for teaching Photoshop; its usefull to have many versions of Photoshop on one machine; if one has students and clients with many older versions.

I find the color management for Vista very intuitive. But to be honest, I wish I had bought a MAC when I upgraded my PC early this year. I've had many frustrations with Vista. I had to buy a new flatbed scanner (not for film, but for paper work), and I still had to buy new software to run the scanner. My Nikonscan doesn't work on Vista for my Nikon 9000, but fortunately Vuescan does, and Vuescan is great. For some reason, my router was getting slower and slower, so I had to buy a new router that was compatable with Visa.

The main downside with Apple is that their hardware is more expensive. But when I factor in the frustraton level, I think Apple would have been the better buy. So for now, I will get my few=years worth out of my new Vista box. But when I go through a major upgrade, I may very well take the plunge and go Apple.

>>>So the knife cuts both ways.

Really,forget the knife, just stick a fork in it.

Really, Jeffrey, if you want to be a photographer, you best spend your time learning to take pictures and less worrying about what computer operating system people like. People who have been doing this for a while have given you much information to mull over. I think you've just bought a dell? Great, now use it and learn how to shoot and process your photos.

Just a suggestion:)

A BMW and a Hyundai are both cars and will both get you where you need to go.

The difference is that you will actually enjoy the drive in the BMW.

There is a reason why more people switch from PCs to Macs than from Macs to PCs.

Anyone who actually uses (or has used) both usually will prefer the Mac. Apple just "gets

it".

I do my work on Apple Mac OS X systems. I know them well and enjoy using them. That's

what makes a difference to my work, not that I'm less 'practically minded' or 'more wealthy

with the ability to frivolously spend money' than a Windows/PC user. Or that there is

anything about the process that could not be accomplished on both platforms.

In the end, I could care less what camera or computer was used to produce a great

photograph. It's the photograph that matters to me. But I'll choose the tools that satisfy

me when I have the option.

Godfrey

>>>Really, Jeffrey, if you want to be a photographer, you best spend your time learning to take pictures and less worrying about what computer operating system people like. People who have been doing this for a while have given you much information to mull over. I think you've just bought a dell? Great, now use it and learn how to shoot and process your photos.<<<

Barry, I've been taking pictures since 1987. My current wet darkroom is my third one. I just can't let it go because I fell in love with film photography. The past couple years I've been playing around with a Canon A95 and PS Elements. I've recently acquired my Nikon digital gear, and most recently (a couple days ago, a Dell e520 and CS3). I haven't even plugged in the new computer because I'm waiting on a SATA cable from Dell to install my second hard drive, and two more GBs of memory from Newegg. I could have been taking pictures in the meantime, but there is so much to learn, and I've been studying Martin Evening's CS3 book. I think my photographic vision and technique is pretty good, and that hasn't changed because the tools have become digital, but you're right, it's not very productive to worry about OSs, especially since I've already committed myself to Windows, but I was curious about the topic I posted here. I regret that this thread evolved the way it did since I was thinking I would just hear what you folks had to say about PCs and Apples, and suppress my grudge, and leave it at that. So much for that plan.

>>>Funny how that statement at the beginning of a thread never proves to be true.<<<

Indeed Mike! And I certainly deeply regret the outcome of this thread, but I have to live with it now.

I do, however, want to thank everyone for the great information, and apologize for the hurtful comments I made that were uncalled for. You seem like great group of people with a strong passion for photography.

I'm very sorry for hurting some folk's feelings, and I deeply regret it. It was my fault for being impure, and not completely genuine, in my original post. I did have an axe to grind, and as much as I intended to suppress it, it came out eventually. So all I can do is apologize and move on. So again, I'm very sorry, and it pains me more than you'd imagine.

Thankyou to everyone for all the help! I sincerely appreciate it!

And Brad, I know you're a decent person, and a fine photographer to boot. And all the best to you as well!

When the innocent question you care about the most ("Why do Apple users feel compelled to butt into a PC users thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Apple?") makes a negative accusation about Apple users and invites other people to speculate about the motivations of these folks they don't know, it's not the least bit surprising that the thread turned out the way it did. Your innocent question was fully loaded and carefully aimed.

Jeffrey, I still shoot film too. You'll find once you start working in photoshop, your film skills will put you ahead of the curve. A lot of the things you can do, as you know from elements is tonal adjustment and contrast on the images just like you would think of it in the dark room. Have fun, and if you haven't had enough of starting flame wars, go for a nice "innocent question" like is digital better than film? And then you can be surprised when people start casting aspersions on your character.

Funny, you've been signed on here for over 2 years but only have posts in this thread? You're not related to Scott Eaton are you?

No sir, no relation. Actually, I used to post here all the time, maybe 10 years ago.

I think I'll just stay away from no-win controversial topics. :) I've learned my lesson.

Thanks for the encouragement Barry! Elements has been a nice stepping stone, and is probably all I need really, but I downloaded the trial version of CS3 and knew I had to have it. The interface is so much cleaner, plus complete control over color management, and printing. I also hated the Organizer in Elements. I have Photo Mechanic, iMatch, and Archive Creator, so I should be all set once I get everything working together, and develop a workflow.

I want to get an HP B9180 next, then I'll be completely all set, at least I think so.

Thanks!

Wow! thanks Jeefrey for this tread..i was out for 2 days, and when i come i saw all those answers..way more entertaining than whats on TV today : )

1_but why do knuckleheads mouth-off in PC threads that have nothing to do with Macs?

Sorry, i dont have time to loose to go on thread that dont fit me. So even if i prefer to work on Mac, i understand that other may like to work on a PC, and thats life.

2_Or is it that mind control exists in the Mac world?

Probably, like in any major brand around; i can see the same thing in the PC world..you for exemple, being the one who saddly, whants to start a fight, and even tried to convince other that PC could be (or is) the best things...I decide to have the best of both world in need; a Intel Mac...work on my half Mac, game on my half PC : )

3_I really don't want a company messing with my mind. Do you?

too late, Bill already got you...run for your life!

4_The bottom line with me is that I had been annoyed even before submitting this post, and I felt compelled to get it off my chest after all this time. I carried the annoyance with me for a long time,

Poor guy, i can understand what you feel, being rejected all your life, but it this not or business; open the yellow page, and find professional help, people who will care about your life, who will try to help you...starting a figth in PN will only put you on a black list, and make you loose any credibility in the future.

4_what's the story with this Scott Eaton guy?

It was pretty much like you; a guy who could be call a mac racist, who post only to start figth or whos answers was only oriented on whats best because of is 4 PC thats are so much faster for 1/2 the price of a mac. bla bla bla....and make s*** image on his personal page (thats not like you do..you dont have images)..2 on them was him; thats is f**** pretentious, and tell me a lot on people character. Whe think that you could be him because of the way you mimic is kind of answers.

And finally, if you where in PN 10 years ago, and at least been here for 2 years..you should have the decency to pay your 25$ to help this site staying what it is, in fact everyone that ask questions should be charge 25$ once to become a member first before asking, since the answers you got will help you in return.

Apologies taking for what youve done this weekend...now redempt yourself and give PN your due..a small fee to pay to walk like a man after the s*** you create ; )

Indeed, this is just my oppinion and a strong sugestion.

HaHa Patrick, you just entertained me! The parts I could decipher, anyway. ;)

Yes, I used to post here a long time ago when photography was film. When I returned, after a long gap, it seems that any record of my participation was lost. During that same time period, I used to hang-out at the original CompuServe PhotoForum. Those were the good 'ol days, chatting with Ctein, Mike Johnston, Roger Hicks, et al.

I didn't know about the $25. fee. I'm always been generous with sites I visit, and I believe in paying my fair share. I will certainly pony-up, even if I never participate here again. In fact, I'll look at it as like a speeding ticket.

And yes, I am indeed sorry for my behavior here this weekend, but I refuse to extend the same sentiments to the "knuckleheads," that I learned, exist on both sides of the computer fence. Why should I? It's the good folks who entered this thread and felt like they were tricked, or wasted their time.

You know what, I've probably made some enemies, but it's probably the people who say in a PC or Mac thread, "buy a Mac," or "Apple sucks."

Lastly, I find it impossible to believe that no one else has experienced the same annoyance I have, at least no one has said so in this thread. I suppose they don't feel like getting hammered for speaking the truth. Anyway. God bless! Over and out.