Looking for Glare and Haze lens

Sometimes ago, I play around with my grandfather's Olympus pen d2. After

developed it, the glare and haze effect of some of the pictures are very heavy

and suddenly, I fall in love with this feeling.

It's something similar to this one by John.

selfref

christianpaolo

I personally love this kind of glare & haze feeling and want to look for a lens

with similar effect. I wonder whether those pre-war contaflex or any non-coat

lens would have similar effect. Hopefully, if anyone do come across with lens

like that, could you please tell me and I really wish a try! Right now, I am

using nikon system, any lens(135, 66, 67, 45) that could fit into a Nikon mount

by convector will be ok.

thanks a lot.

Maybe you can look for lenses with lots of internal dust! People are generally trying to give those lenses away cheap anyway. That could help create an interesting effect. Otherwise a little bit of Vasoline or other interesting things (paint, glitter, etc.) can be added to an old Skylight or Clear filter (old school, as they say). The beauty of this approach is that you can create an infinite number of looks based on experimentation. Paul

If you don't like the idea of putting vaseline on a filter, you can stretch a thin mesh, like a woman's nylon (hosery) stocking over the lens or filter, hold it in place with a rubber band. You might need to slightly compensate your exposure. If you want a crisp central subject but haze, softness radiating from the center...old time photogs merely burned a hole with a cigarette in the center of the stocking, then attached it as before.

Try Photoshop. Select the area you want fuzzy or blurred, adjust the tolerance say 10 px ( depending on what resolution you're using) then, while selected, add some gaussian blur... This way your original photo is as pure as the driven snow. If you don't have Photoshop, well, buy that jar of petrolium jelly and a cheap uv filter.

Is it because it's considered too "naughty" or something that no one mentions K-Y type jellies rather than Vaseline? It smears around nicely on a cheap filter, and can be removed with a little moisture. Of course, there are special filters made especially for diffusion, fog effects, etc.

well to me the first photo just looks realy grainy like a really high iso and it also appears to have high contrast and over brightened and an almost sepia tone or desaturated colors. All of which can be accomplished in camera and/or with photoshop. I don't really see much in the other shot except for the light being blown out on the left and maybe too little contrast.