What is the finest grain film I can get?

justin_reece

What might be the finest grained b+w film I can get - an then develop regular

d-76? I'm looking for something I can find at most reasonable photo supply

stores - not a special order film. I just need to prove a point to someone, by

comparing the grain structure of several different films, like a 100, 400,

800... etc.

Thanks

Depending on where you live, you might find some Efke 25 or Rollei Pan 25. I've gotten finer grain with the Rollei than with Pan F+. Some places might not stock the Pan F+ either so call before driving there. You would be more likely to find Ilford Delta 100 or Kodak TMAX 100 in stock are they are both fine grained compared to say TRI-X or Ilford HP5+. If you can find a store that carries Fuji black & white film then a comparison between Fuji Acros 100 and Fuji Neopan 1600 would be a good one.

No, actually you were correct the first time. Developers make a difference in apparent grain, but the film's natural grain structure is the overriding factor here.

I'm not convinced that PanF+ is the answer either. I've used plenty of PanF+ and TMax 100, and compared them side by side with a grain magnifier. In absolute terms of grain, TMax 100 has it beat by a little bit. To be fair, I usually develop both films in dilute XTOL or D-76. But the differences are irrelevant. The two films are very different animals. PanF+ has a much steeper contrast curve than TMX, and punchier mid tone values. On the other hand, TMax 100 will hold a lot more shadow detail at the expense of a somewhat flatter overall look.

Fuji Acros is another very fine grained film with it's own unique characteristics, though one with which I have no experience. Aren't you glad you asked? Aren't you glad to have the choice.

I am very glad that I have the choice to get different films.

I think what I'm going to do is pick up one roll of tmax, pan f, hp5, and maybe delta 3200. Shoot the same subject, develop in the same developer, and then scan on the Imacon X5. It's 35mm.

Basically all I'm trying to do here is go up against someone who made a generalized statement that all b+w films have "grain" bigger than (a certain something I refuse to talk about).

Keep in mind to that many other factors influence how the grain in a particular film appears. Developing temp and agitation, the exposure given the film and so on. Far to many to really even be certain. Even different batch numbers (as in the case of Efke I've noticed) of a film can have significant differences.

For a general purpose film I would go with Pan F+. I develop ACROS in Fuji Microfine and rate it at 100. This combination gives me grain which is at least as fine as TMX in any developer I have tried. Microfine is not sold in the US. You can get it at the unicircuits.com website (Japan). Technical Pan and ImageLink HQ and FS films have much finer grain than Pan F+ or TMX or ACROS but they have very limited exposure lattitude and are not suitable for all kinds of lighting.

If you have a specific size photo in mind, like 8X10 or 11X14, you will get better overall quality and grain with medium format equipment and a medium speed film like Plus-X or FP4+ than you will with 35mm film and slower or more fine grained film. Pan F+ and TMX and ACROS are all available in 120 size so you can get even finer grain in an enlargement if fine grain alone is what you are looking for. For standard size rectangular prints you won't see a difference with 6X45 or 6X6 formats until you get over 11X14. With a 6X7 negative your print has to be a lot larger to see a difference.

If you want a "normal" film, as opposed to a high-contrast copy film that you have to carefully and specially process, then Tmax100 or Delta 100 will give you the finest grain (hard call between the two).

The developer has to be right too. IME full-strength D-76 and Xtol give the finest grain with these films, with Xtol maybe winning by a short nose.

PanF+ does give very fine grain, but its grain pattern seems more visible in the final print to me. It's also a more contrasty film than Tmax100, and a whole stop slower. To tame the contrast you have to overexpose slightly and cut development, which makes it more like 2 stops slower.

"Tech Pan was the finest grained film ever made..." No it wasn't. The microelectronics industry uses things called Lippmann Plates. They're also used for making Holograms, and are absolutely grainless for all practical purposes.

The drawback? The emulsion is exceedingly slow and high-contrast, usually only blue/UV sensitive, has no anti-halation backing and only available coated on a glass substrate. It is, however, possible to get a graded tone image on these plates, probably with better gradation than was ever achievable with Tech-pan.

Fine-grain positive release cine film, with a speed of around 2 ISO, also has a finer grain than Tech-pan. However it too suffers from having no anti-halation layer and being only blue sensitive.

Hi Justin,

Arthur Plumpton is right: ADOX CMS 20 in its own developer (same as SPUR ???20 in its SPUR developer). Nothing else commercially available today compares.

Cheers, Pete.

P.S.: Better get drum scans if you want to see CMS20 grain (and not just artefacts of Minolta/Nikon/Canon/whatever).

Just stick with something you are used to like D-76. Tmax films work well for general purposes in it. For fine grain usestock solution and 1:1 with a little more grain but higher accutance. I've got Tmax 400 about even grainwise with FP-4 125 both in 1:1 solution.

I am currently processing through film tests for Zone work with Tmax films and have Tmx 100 rated at 50, and Tmy 400 rated at 200 from my preliminary film speed tests. I never had any luck with Tmax 100 and because it is a narrow latitude B&W film. I see from my test that rating it at 50 will provide much better results. It is not as forgiving film as its faster cousin TMY, which I've almost always been able to print from. I haven't worked out a set final normal development times precisely yet, but have a good starting point rated at a twenty-five percent decrease from the recomended box development for TMX, and twenty percent less for TMY for normal with thirty as N-1. While I am not fully satisfied yet, my film speed ratings agree with many I have read here. I found Delta 100 to provide better results when used at box speed compared to Tmax 100, and Acros inbetween with blown out highlights. I had better luck with Acros at 64, but don't like the thin base inmy rollholders. But Acros's thin clear base does scan well. So there is much to compare between these films.