enjoyed the projects at all, but well.....I did through Unit 3. I was used to

online immediate feedback of a day or so, and now it's a month. I don't feel

90% of the feedback is of any help to me at all....I mean, really, if you want

feedback, post on here, and people will be more than willing to break your

ego. I have also found (as I have had two different instructors) that they

like to talk about whatever you took a picture of, or stuff in the lesson

instead of the photography end of the picture. I am in a major struggle now

with the portrait assignment, as I have no desire to be a 'formal' portrait

person. I do candids for family events, etc., but formal is not my thing.

Basically, I have I "I don't care attitude" about all of it. I understand the

basics of lighting, but getting people to sit down and do this with me, it's a

have to thing.

I signed up for another online course through Perfect Picture School of

Photography. I knew nothing about it, but the course sounded like my type of

thing. I love the course, I love the feedback. I love doing the

assignments....also was just doing a search on Bryan Peterson who started the

school. Looks like his books anyway are highly favored here.

So...I enjoy that stuff, but then I have to force myself to do my NYIP stuff.

So....is it a crime to quit in the middle of it?

Debbie

After finished the first three assignments, I cannot move on to do the fourth one because, believe it or not, I cannot find any person willing to be my model for those portrait shots. Three years past and I cannot finish my fourth assignment and thus I cannot get my certificate. However I would not say I 'quit' because I did finish reading/viewing all the books, audio and video tapes. I have learned all the techniques (and did apply the knowledge a few times later). That was 7 years ago, which at that time digital photography wasn't as popular as today. Besides the 'film' section, all material still can be applied to today's photography. The NYIP course is intended to teach you 'everything' while many on-line courses are more specific to a topic. So I am glad that I took the NYIP course and I do not regret that I did not finish the course.

Actually Andy, I think that was what turned me off. I have heard all the tapes, and am still doing the reading, but can't find anyone to do my unit 4 assignments with me. I have BEGGED my relatives on Easter, as I had all my stuff, backdrops, some lights, etc., and everyone refused. I don't enjoy 'forcing' people to do this stuff, just for a bit of feedback that doesn't do a thing for me.

Relatives don't work well for shooting... they just don't seem to want to model. When I started bringing my camera to family functions, I got all sorts of negative responses. My own mother even said "Dammit don't be taking my picture!".

So instead I spoke with some colleagues and I offered to give them free photos in turn for "experimenting" with their kids. The first woman let me set-up in her husband's work shop and we left it up for a week. On three different occasions I went over there and I shot their kids. She has since printed the photos and shown them off to her friends. Now I have about 12 people wanting me to take portraits of their family and children.

So I guess the key is to speak to a friend and ask them to volunteer to be a model in exchange for cheap prints. It worked for me.

As for NYIP, I guess you could say I'm disappointed. The material isn't dated (I mean the techniques behind photography hasn't changed over the years) but their photographic examples sure are dated. What bothers me is the website. When I signed up last summer, the site was updated every month with interviews, tips, and photos. But I've noticed the last update was October 2006. I'm not at all impressed with that.

It sounds like the pathetic school I tried to attend c 1965. Actually I think it was the same school. They gave us nuts and bolts to photograph with a homemade view camera. I never even met an instructor, never received any instruction of any kind at all. After 2-3 sessions I realized it was a hustle and a waste of time. Worse than a waste because it made photography boring. Got out of there fast. The founder is no doubt dwelling in a warm and unpleasant place right now.

I looked into NYIP a little more than 5 years ago and I was not impressed. If I were you I?d

drop out and take a night class at a community college. This way you will have face-to-

face training and immediate feedback, real college credit, plus most Community Colleges

require an instructor to have a master?s degree in the field from an accredited University. I

doubt most of the NYIP instructors have a bachelors degree more less a masters, I think

most of them grade assignments as a second job on the side. Oh, and the "certificates"

you get from them don?t mean anything to a potential employer.

Hope this helps.

Nate

I am getting ready to send in unit 4,5 and 6. I have actually enjoyed the course. Yes, some of the material is outdated(original printing was 1978) though they claim they update every year.The copyrights are farly current. I have found the crtiques of the projects helpful, and the videos(dvd's) helpful also. I especially enjoyed the ones with the late Monte Zucker. Some of us simply don't have time to go to a tradtional class- correspondence course can be done at one's own pace and lessons completed as will fit into a busy schedule. As for models, if you want to use family, wait for a special occassion. My daughter does not like to have her picture taken, but yesterday , when she graduated from business college, she was a more than willing model. I have asked strangers at the park and have never been turned down. Not every community college offers courses in photography. Iwould say hang there! Finish what you started and remember the goal you had in mind when you signed up.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the NYIP course about 15 years ago. Unfortunately because of my schedule and lack of discipline, I never got passed the first 3 units. I still kept sending them money and they still kept sending me lessons until I got all the lessons all in a nice harbound book case.

Although some of the material is rather limited, I got more out of those lessons than I did in a formal photography college course. As a matter of fact, I refered to the NYIP lessons often while I was taken a formal class, such as Color Photography 101. I would recomend the course for somebody that has a darkroom otherwise it gets kind of silly and complicated.

Currently I'm taking the NYIP Digital photography course. All the course material comes on a CD rather than a soft covered book. I wish they still used the books instead of the CD so you could read them on public transportation, but I guess you can allways print what's on the CD if you dont mind buying new ink cartridges. The lessons are clear and pretty straight forward, but once again rather limited.

It's like you are just skimming over the tip of the iceberg. I think most people on this forum would find the lessons too simplistic, but if you want to learn things right from the start, then I would recomend it. Jeez it only cost $35 a month, which beats those outrageously overpriced workshops that only last long enough for the information to go in one ear and out the other.

I guess I should mention that some of the extra credit assignments are more complicated than you think and are meant for more advanced users. I'm planning to finish this course and getting my NYIP Certificate since I didn't do that the last time.

• 1 year later...

Not yet, but I'm thinking about it. I'm currently in the Intro to Digital Photography class and although the course materials are "OK", I get NO response from my advisor when asking questions. Sometimes it takes days, and the answers, when they do come, are very short and cryptic. At this point, I cannot recommend them to anyone, but I will give it another month or so before deciding. I wish I have checked on them more before signing up.....I probably would not have.

RH

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just asked for my money back

they are nice people but

actually sitting down with the material and listen to them discuss about pictures

is not actually what i was looking for

they spend hours discussing between themselves basic concepts of photography

and honestly it does not make you pay attention.. more like.. bores you.

So if you have the time to sit there forever to listen to people talk about something

then sure take the course

but honestly i don't think it's worth what you pay for.

You are better off reading about photography and experimenting for yourself

what you learn from them you can easily learn from the internet.

there are many sites which give you information about photography so i would start from there.

• 1 month later...
Just sent in my last project. The course hit the target for me because I wanted to work in the darkroom and the results have proven to me that film is still king when it is done right. If you don't want to work at it, it may not be the right choice. What I like about the course is it covers (albeit outdated) film processing, printing (B&W, color) with a real life prospective from working photographers including all formats and work at your own pace. I found that I had to do a little more research on my own to get current film related material but that's good because going forward, as film companies change (or go away), I'll need to run the info down again. Beyond the basics in the first 3 units, which cover all camera functions, the focus is to teach how to see as a photographer, light, composition and the crap that ruin shots, the last 3 unit deal with most specialty areas and is a very good intro to each. Could it be better? yes, but isn't that the case with most anything...

• 2 months later...
<p>Wish I would have read this first. I also was taking an online course and my professor graduated from NYIP and I wanted a little more advanced class, what a disappointment. I'm struggling to finish the course. I'm half way through the class and I agree very out dated. Not at all what I was expecting for the money, I think the cd's are boring and they jump all over the place never really explaining anything. What a waste of money.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Since you paid for the course, I'd say definitely make use of it! They said in my welcome packet that you can switch advisors, maybe that's an option. Here is my take on NYIP (short course):<br>

The NYIP "Fundamentals in Digital Photography - Short Course" has four units with an online comprehension test for each one. Per unit NYIP will send you two booklets, magazine size, several CDs and two DVDs. The only thing that seems somewhat aged with regards to hair styles and clothing is the DVD, although the content is very useful and I liked the entertaining style.<br>

The NYIP Short Course CDs are indeed two people discussing whatever was covered in the text, so it's like a radio broadcast. You can easily listen to it in the car or while you are doing something else. I did stop listening to the CDs but now that I'm writing about it, I think I'll just put them all in my car and continue listening.<br>

The text seems really concise, easy to read, somewhat larger print even. Full of sample photos, some taken by former students. <br>

The comprehension tests are available to take online and for unit one I found a printable version on the NYIP website that I was able to work through before I took the test online. The remaining three tests I did with my booklets open. The questions correlate really nicely with the headlines and subheadlines in the booklets.<br>

There are two photo projects with each 5 photos to be send in. For each of them you focus on a specific skill and are asked to note the lighting conditions, aperture, shutter speed and ISO and wether you think you met the goal. <br>

So far I sent two e-mails to the general advisor address and I received a response the next day. Right now I am actually waiting for another response, e-mailed yesterday. There are people available over the phone during office hours, but I haven't used that service.<br>

All in all it's true, you COULD read all the info in library books or online tutorials except this course is really concise. For me, sifting through online material and forum entries sometimes is a little too time consuming. <br>

A definite plus of NYIP for me is to have those specific photo projects, 10 photos all together, which makes you put into practice what you read. Once the student has sent in a project, an instructor will provide an evaluation and send it to you via e-mail. A friend of mine took the course as well and she said those evaluations were very helpful.<br>

Hope this was a useful contribution!<br>

www.angela-h-anderson-photography.blogspot.com<br>

www.eichhorncreations.blogspot.com</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>The professional photographers course at NYIP is an excellent course, The instructor critiques are invaluable. (you can't get that by simply reading a book as some would suggest.) Some of their materials are outdates as to when it was published, but the concepts of photography has not changed and therefore still applicable.<br>

The people that spent their money on the course and didn't finish it because they claimed to have been bored, or whatever excuse they used is just that, and excuse. What that shows me is that they lack discipline to become successful; everything in life isn't cookies and cream. There were a lot of boring moments for me in college, but that didn't mean that I was going to drop out. <br>

One thing a college degree or course certificate proves if nothing else is that you can stick around and has the discipline to get something done from start to finish.<br>

I think anyone that takes the NYIP photography course can learn a lot from it. Make this call for yourself and remember one thing, 100 percent of the shots that you DON'T take do not hit the target.</p>

<p>CT</p>