Editioning Prints

I have a print that I would like to sell as a limited edition; the edition

printing would be 15 prints.

The print is a 20X24 image, and will be framed to approximately 24X28, give or

take - I'm going by memory on the final frame size.

My question is this: ethically (and perhaps legally) speaking, does the limited

printing of the 15 pieces apply to the specific image or to the image

specifically printed in the size of the edition?

For example - I edition the print as a matted 24X20 image ready for framing or

already framed to the size indicated above - can I also mat and frame the image

as a 11X14 framed to 16X20, or an 8X10 matted to 11X14?

I understand I'm limiting the large size print by editioning, but am I also

limiting any use of the same image in a smaller or larger size?

Thanks much -

You can get a lot of different responses because it's not really a legal matter unless you committ fraud. Ethically, as long as you explain your edition in detail you can do as you wish.

If I make an edition of 100 in 20x24 and sell 150, that's fraud.

If I make an edition of 100 in 20x24 and only sell 100, yet I will sell unlimited 11x14's that is up to the buyer to know and base his purchase.

Another consideration is what if I make an edition of 100 and only sell 4 at $200, but later reduce the price to $100? A somewhat famous photographer found he sold many more prints in unlimited edtions at a lower price than limited editions at a higher price resulting in a higher profit.

Thanks for the response. I felt I was on the right track, in that the only limits are placed on the print that is qualified as being the editioned piece; trust but verify as they say.

Your last point is the difficult part of course; do I sell more of the print un-editioned and make more money (potentially) or not?

I suppose it's a gamble....

Thanks again -

You would print 15 identical prints for the edition, with the addition (if you like) of several artists proofs, which you can "letter" instead of "number- but that should be part of the "history" of that printing. Any subsequent print with any different characteristics represent something totally different. eg: you could then print an edition of 40 at 8 x 10 as a separate entity.

The limit applies only to the size, but you must also disclose the edition numbers for the other sizes. The point of editioning is to create scarcity, so the buyers have the right to know how many copies of their print will exist. How would they feel if they buy into an edition of 15 your 20x24, but then latter you sell an edition of 100 of your 22x26 ?

I partially disagree Quang. An edition, to my understanding, represents all of the set being identical in all aspects. As soon as you change anything, it's a different subset, weather size, contrast, color etc. Magritte's wife printed editions of his work after his death and either defaced the original stone in some way, or applied some difference. They were still sought after as numbered sets, but obviously not like the originals, and they also didn't have his signature, they had hers to define the difference. On the other hand, maybe we're not in disagreement.