Yosemite/Eastern Sierra mid May 2007

Rod Sorensen

I'm looking for advice on northeastern CA locations in mid May. I will be in

the area for a SF area meeting and will have Sat-Tues available for myself.

I've never been to this area before. My initial thoughts were the eastern

Sierra region (? Bishop area) and/or Yosemite. Doing both would be fine if I

would be able to do some justice to both areas, but otherwise I'd stick with

just one area. I'd like to do some hiking and landscape photography, but want

my slightly less fanatical for the outdoors spouse to also enjoy herself.

Please give me your thoughts. Incidentally, I'm assuming the road through

Yosemite would be open by mid-may.

<I> Incidentally, I'm assuming the road through Yosemite would be open by mid-may.

</i><P>

You might get lucky this year (not much snow), but Tioga Road may not be open that early.

If so, I'd spend your time in Yosemite -- to get to Bishop you'd have to drive north of

Yosemite by Lake Tahoe and then south on 395. Very pretty but very long drive -- I'm

guessing 5 hours from Yosemite.

Yosemite is great that time of year, she can amuse herself in number of non-photo ways, but will probably be just as entranced as you

Tioga road always iffy, check beforehand

Coast Highway also a major joy. Basically you can't go wrong either place

In consideration of your spouse, <a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com/webpages/cayos/yos1.htm">Yosemite</a> (Valley). She'll likely have more options if you want to venture out on a hike. Unless of course you think she'd be happy sitting in a car alone at a dusty trailhead. If Tioga Pass is open, you can make a day trip or overnight to Mono Lake and / or Mammoth Lakes.<br>

<br>

I'd aree that either the coast to Monterey/Big Sur (even if you go inland (sort-of) via San Jose/Santa Cruz or Prunedale, etc., to Monterey to pick up the speed a bit, or Yosemite valley area would be great choices. Keep in mind that both areas get a lot of weekend visitors so planning ahead is agood idea. I think I'd put Yosemite a bit ahead of Monterey/Big Sur as May is usually a great water month.

If you can get over to Mono Lake/Bodie over 120, that's good, but don't expect it. To get to the east side otherwise, from San Francisco you'd need to go via Sacramento/Lake Tahoe/Donner Pass which is a beautiful trip as well. But long.

Rod, if you stay with Yosemite Valley and the western slope, driving highway 49 thru the "mother lode" with the part between Oakhurst and Sonora, just west of Yosemite, is another option. This is the foothills of the Sierra, and is a very pleasant drive. Lots to see with all the gold rush era sites, as well as many interesting shops. The photo opps are abundant! Enjoy your visit...

If you only have bits and parts of 3 days, it's not worth trying to get to the Eastern Sierra at this time of year. You'll have spent the entire time driving. I agree with Yosemite Valley if you want to go out that direction. But if it's your first time to the Bay Area, honestly I'd rather just either shoot along the coast or go up to Marin. I enjoy shooting those places much better than shooting in Yosemite. The great thing about California is you have too many choices to choose from.<p>

<a href="http://www.rwongphoto.com">Two-Lane Road Photography by Richard Wong</a><br><a href="http://www.rwongphoto.com/fieldreport">In the Field: Photography Blog</a>

Monday or Tuesday, before sunrise/sunset be on one of the overlooks to YoValley. Tuesday, all morning, you're liable to have most of the valley to yourself. Monday thru Thursday, especially early morning or sunset, you might find yourself alone on places like Wawona Tunnel. If, Glacier Road is open, suggest sunrise or sunset there...

Dennis...not meaning to be disagreeable, but even on a Tuesday in the middle of winter you are never likely to have the valley to yourself (IMHO). And in May, forget it. I just checked and you can't book a room at the Ahwanee or Yosemite Lodge on either May 15 or 22 (both Tuesdays), and almost all of Curry Village (short of the Tent cabins) is booked, so the valley is going to be a full of people. Like most other things in this world, bad comes with the good. Yosemite Valley is so beautiful that it is an extremely popular place to visit for people from all around the world. We are actually loving it to death. Sunset at Glacier Point is stupendous and not to be missed. But no matter what day it is, you'll have at least 50 other people with you photographing the event. Tunnel view most days is a madhouse...every tour bus stops there. The good news is that there are a lot of places out of the crowds, but you have to get a good way out from the roads and the more popular trails to find that solitude.

Rod didn't specifically mention solitude, but I wouldn't want him thinking he can find it in places where he won't. If 120 is open, views of Half Dome from Olmstead Point can be fantastic at sunset, and there is a good trail that few venture down. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the trail is still accessible during the rennovation going on there, or if the snow will be off the trail yet (ask a ranger about both). If you want the classic tunnel view, hike a few hundred yards up the trail to Inspiration point to get up above and away from the onslaught of buses loading and unloading. A hike to Mirror Lake is always fun and not too strenuous (even if frequently crowded) and there might still be some water.

If this is your only chance to see Yosemite, go. No question and don't give it a second thought. But if you are looking for alternatives, like some others have mentioned, a drive up (or down) the coast can be fantastic in May. Personally, I'd make the trip from SF through Muir Woods to Point Reyes and then up the coast as far as you have time for. The Mendocino Coast is gorgeous. Fort Ross is scenic, historic ,and not usually crowded (correct me if things have changed). There are a number of State Beaches along the way, like Patrick's Point that can give you dramatic scenes to shoot. And then, of course, you will reach the Coastal Redwoods and Redwood National Park. That's where I'll probably be this May. You can find plenty of shorter hikes that your "slightly less fanatical for the outdoors spouse" might enjoy, and the variety should keep her amused. Be wary of some of the beaches that require climbing down a couple of hundred steps...remember that you have to come back up!

I'll clarify....Robert, you are right about never a uncrowded day. I should have said you'd have to get up and be out between 0600-0800 hrs...You'll find spots that no one will visit. Biggest thing is to get off the beaten path a few 100 yards. Agree on loving the place to death. It's a shame most folks never get more than 10 feet from their car except to shop. The view from a top of Tamarack and Cascade falls is awesome and most never do more than drive across the bridge. The view from <b>below</b> Wawona Tunnel, scrambling on the rocks, is awe inspiring. I've been to both places mid spring to late fall and never see anyone... You just have to look.

While of course no one will ever have the valley to him or herself, one nice thing about

Yosemite Valley is that it's SO EASY to get away from all the crowds. You don't have to

walk more than 100 feet (not 100 yards) from a road to get separated from 99.9% of

people who visit the valley on any given day.

Also one will find VERY FEW people up and about for sunrise shots, even in May. The few

who get up will be dedicated photographers like yourself and not the typical Yosemite

tourist. The sunset shots will be a lot more crowded especially at the popular scenic

points like Tunnel View or Sentinel Bridge.

Coming in from Oakhurst gives the option of going by <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/2169748"> Hetch Hetchy</a> . This one nice waterfall - Wampama Falls, that can be seen in the photograph, and another unnamed falls is within easy hiking, under 2 miles one-way plus the view of the lake and rock formations. You have a great chance of having this place to yourself.<div>00KcQc-35851384.jpg.6b13e63b5a9d4eb11b73526d2fd1be81.jpg</div>