subjects, setup high and pointed downward, bouncing off the white side of the

umbrella, which was the only place to put them, since one side of my limited

space had a wall, therefore no extra room. On the other side there was a

stage, which I was able to reserve just enough space for my reflector stand

and reflector, which was placed just to the side of the subject and a 45

degree angle. I hope all that made sense...anyways, I know the woman's hair

needs to be lit up more, as it gets lost in the backdrop, but for what

equipment we have, and the space we had to work with, what would you have done

differently? How could I improve the lighting in this photo?<div>00KJR6-35457384.jpg.b92b5b288db71b2285d6969bbe407eae.jpg</div>

I second the recommendation to use a lighter background. Lighter doesn't have to mean white, it could be a brown, blue, grey, etc.

If you position your background at an angle to the camera you can use one light to light both the subject and the background. Look for a recent thread in the Lighting Forum on Chiaroscuro with one light.

Place your light closer to the subject so that it is larger and softer. Alternately use a larger softbox or scrim instead of the umbrella. Place the reflector closer as well and/or use a larger one.

If you're going to buy more ABs then use one in a small softnox for a hairlight and another with a grid to light the background.

You also might want to use a longer lens to get a much tighter crop. No need to show knees and laps in a shot like this.

Watch out for angles like this which look up people's skirts. Just sayin'.

I take it you are meaning a wall or something as a background, which was impossible in this old building...the walls were all ugly old wood paneling, which the flash would bounce right off of. We did do some engagement pictures for Sarah's sister, outside, and used an old shed for the background...you can see a few of those in my portfolio under engagement pictures.

Thanks for your answer, and for sensing my frustration...you hit that nail right on the head :) I do have a collapsible silver windshield shade, but perhaps it wasn't in the right position on this photo?! I need to get a good book and start reading on technique, along with reading the themes on here...Thanks, again.

"so again, it goes back to lack of equipment...thanks for all the suggestions."

Respectfully, this is hogwash. Chicken soup can CERTAINLY be made with two powerful strobes, reflectors, and some experience.

Focus on what you DO have, not what your kit is "missing".

appologies-- I just re-read, and it looks like you have one light...

In that case though, you'd still be FINE with a different background.

Doesn't have to be one you brought with you you know...

Must read more betterer in future...

Use one light to the right side of this subject with a reflector on the other side. The light is even which is boring and makes them look heavier. Do not let the subjects wear more than a touch of white. Try different poses. Let the child do what he wants and integrate it into the picture. Right now he looks disinterested and out of it.

"<i>a white backdrop looks gray, due to lack of equipment</i>"... and what's wrong with a grey background?<p>"<i>and a black backdrop doesn't seem to work either, at least not for dark haired people</i>". It does, if you have a second light to put on the background.<p>And as noted, don't shoot jpgs. You should also learn how to control WB and understand a histogram, so that you can apply sensible post-production processing... t

Melissa, I sense your frustration with some of the pat answers that don't consider your limitations. With what you have, I'd suggest 1)getting a reflector - it can be a piece of foamcore or one of those collapsible silver windshield shades. 2) Read the Theme in the archives of this forum on "One Light setups" or what ever it's called. And 3) ignore the fluorescent lights - they aren't bright enough to affect your exposure if you are using flash.

<Chas>

Thanks for your response. I didn't really have control over what they wore...on the invitations, we informed all guests what color backdrop we would be using...I do understand what you are saying though. As far as him doing what he wants, it was difficult, b/c we were right next to the stage, where the musicians were, and there was lots of heavy equipment all around us...just hazardous for play. I much prefer the lifestyle photography and candid moments, as you can probably see in my portfolio, but that wasn't much of an option here.

Melissa-- Personally, I'd put the lights up a little higher and a little off to one side more, but most of the lighting advice you have already been given will give you a lot of things to play with and work out.

HOWEVER, one thing you can do that will drastically improve such a phtograph has to do with posing. When a subject is sitting back in a chair, the result is always unflattering. Never do that. Always have your subjects sit on the front edge of any chair, or get a proper posing stool for them to sit on.

You want the subject to be sitting away from any seatback, never touching it. They should maintain a straight spine, and bend forward slightly from the waist toward the camera. Sitting on the edge of any seat such as you used would facilitate this.

There are many more posing pointers, but you'd best pick up a book for that. In the meantime, I think that following those basic rules to start will improve your pictures substantially.

Note that your subjects will be somewhat closer to the lights, which will necessitate a recalibration of exposure compared to when they are sitting back. Also, proper poses can be hard for the subject to maintain for any length of time, so don't leave them there for too long.

Happy shooting. -BC-

Hi Melissa - I played with the photo a little to show you some different results with the same photo. I adjusted the brightness/contrast, burned the background some, highlighted the hair and cropped it up. Was this with your new camera?<div>00KJwH-35466884.jpg.399f65ad00f4b37ada0414da12f40d96.jpg</div>

I can't do much mote to improve the photo that hasen't already been done, but check out the following sites to improve lighting. They use portable flashes, but can be adapted to studio.

http://www.photoflexlightingschool.com/Equipment_Lessons/Soft_Boxes___Strobe/LiteDome/Taking_Professional_Portraits_with_Hot_Shoe_Flashes/index.html

http://www.juliagreerphotography.com/sb-800-article.htm

Harder to work with the smaller jpeg, but..

Here is a cropped version. I darkened the midtone colors to adjust the white balance. Sharpened the area around the lady to adjust for the depth of field so that the focus is more even between the child and the lady. Lightend some and added more contrast to give more separation between the background and the hair.

As far as suggestions... Increase the FStop and play with the white balance to give more separation and depth.<div>00KKuE-35486084.jpg.c7fc4ccaa5d9304b6b897c7268a8faea.jpg</div>

"<i>There was fluorescent lighting above us</i>"... this might be a clue to some of your discontent with this photo... if your shutter speed is slow enough to record enough fluorescent to cast a shadow, you should try a faster shutter speed, which may lessen or completely remove that light's influence on the photo.<p> But actually I see a shadow cast from an on-camera flash direction, and I think I see some evidence of red-eye in the adult woman. Maybe you were using a pop-up flash to trigger the AB? Since the DiMage A200 doesn't have a pc sync outlet for a cord, but does have a pop-up flash, that's going to be my guess. <p>If you want to see light mostly from the AB and umbrella, you should turn that pop-up way down, or tape a card over it to block it from your subject but still allow the slave to see it. <p>I commented on understanding a histogram, because your whites are totally pegged off the scale which would be easy to see in a histogram.<p>And I got that you only have one light. I was addressing your generalized statement that a black background won't work with dark hair (you didn't say "with one light"). But it can work with one light and dark hair and I'll post an image here that was done on a black background with one light. You just need to set the light to one side and set the subject fairly close to the background. Either a softbox, a shoot through umbrella or the more affordable and versatile Photek Softliter would let you place the light closer to your subject than an umbrella (the shaft can protrude into the photo). <p>Sorry if you find my delivery too abrupt or something. I thought I detected a huff in your typing... t<div>00KKvr-35486884.jpg.1ced7f76f6ebb2d4eccaab212f35811b.jpg</div>