Voigtlander 50/2 Heliar ?

I've been shooting with a Canonet, but have recently decided to step it up a

notch and get an interchangable lens rangefinder. I could use some help picking

out a 50mm lens, and of course I'm on a budget. I've read a lot of great stuff

about the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton, but I can't find much about the Heliar.

I'm aware of the obvious differences between the two, and I'm aware that there

are some affordable used Leica lenses too. I would like to hear from anyone who

has any experience with this V/C Heliar lens. How does it compare to the Nokton

or the older Summicrons that might be somewhat near this price range? How is

the sharpness wide open?

Thanks for your comments.

Paul

Paul, I've been trying to figure out which "normal" lens to get as well. There is some good info on Steve's site: http://cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm. Everyone says there are Leica lenses in this price range, but I'm not seeing them. The only Summicron's are the 40mm C. I've used the CV cameras and WA lenses some years ago and thought the image quality was superb. I've not used the normal lenses though. I'm thinking of the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton myself.

Hi Michael. Stephen's website is great. In fact I emailed him to ask about this and he was kind enough to respond and tell me that the Heliar is a sharp lens, it is especially flare resistant due to fewer elements, and that he prefers it's bokeh over the Nokton. He also suggested I search around here and Rangefinder Forums, but I haven't been able to find anything except speculation. No one seems to have any real experience with it. Hopefully we can find someone.

I have this lens with the 250 Jahre set, and it is a great lens, sharp with excellent contrast..stays on my R3M most of the time. Just shot a roll with the lens on today..the bokeh is smooth also, just a very nice small normal FL lens..get one you'll love it..Bill ~<div>00KHIS-35403184.jpg.7602f83a5c0a27f72ea7392b3625d7cc.jpg</div>

You should be able to get a decent 50mm collapsible summicron for that price. I fondled a 50mm collapsible heliar and a 250 jahr set, and I was sorely tempted because it is a very cute lens. But the reviews I had read, and the sample pictures I had seen on this site (do a search on Heliar and you will find them) did not impress me enough. For me it's an easy choice between a collapsible Heliar and a collapsible Summicron.

In the FWIW column, I have debated this type of situation for months too. I use a 50mm "normal" lens quite often. You may want to be patient and shop around. I was able to buy a mint+, latest model Elmar 50mm f/2.8 from a quality seller on Ebay; for under $500. The Elmar 50mm is optically as good as the Summicron 50mm (the sharpest of all 50mm) from the mid-range apertures to smaller. Wide-open, at f/2.8, the Elmar has proven to me that it is as good or better than any others I've used! Given my 4 decades of photography and literally dozens of 50mm lenses, that's not hyperbole! Many others have sung praises of the Elmar 50mm and think it is a "sleeper" for popularity which explains its bargain price. Comparing a new Heliar vs. Elmar 50 and costs, please consider the Elmar as a contender.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...