warm temperatures!

Depends on what 'warm' means. A few degrees above 20c/68F primarily speeds things up. As long as you stay above +/-5 minutes development time it should be OK and have a good chance of evenly developed negatives. I often use 21 or 22C as thats the ambient temperature in the room I use for neg development. On the other hand if warm means a lot warmer you can end up with the film being cooked and emulsion crackled or separating from the film base.

<i>...21 or 22C ... I use for neg development.

<p>

On the other hand if warm means a lot warmer you can end up with the film being cooked and emulsion crackled or separating from the film base.</i>

<p>

It would need to be a <u>lot</u> warmer... I live in Singapore and the cold tap water is 29C. A number of people here develop at that temperature regularly with no ill side-effects. However, personally, although I have developed at 29C previously, I prefer to work around 25/26C primarily to get times above the 5~6 minute mark and have never had film issues from development temperature.

Film grain is larger the higher the temp even if you compensate time to achieve the same gamma or contrast. The change is small and requires careful looking witha grain mag under the enlarger, but it is there. I went back to ice and the refrigerator to cool things down before developing in the summer. 15 minutes will get the developer and fix down if in small bottles.

The answer is that it depends. Just about every film manufacturer and every developer has a temperature compensation chart, with reciprocity numbers above and below certain points. Some developers are panthermic and will work within a range of temperatures without changing their qualities. Beyond this, if the chemicals are sufficiently hot, they will dissolve the emulsion, ruining the film. If there is sufficient difference between temperatures of say, developer and rinse, your film could suffer reticulation.

Therefore, it is best to follow manufacturer's recommended guidelines, unless you are sure of the ground on which you tread. If you must depart from the recommended temperatures, use the charts provided online by most manufacturers to alter the dev times accordingly. Most of this has been thought of and worked out for you over the years, and the information is easy to obtain in most cases.

As a rule of thumb development increases by 10 percent per degree C increase in temperature. Once upon a time when emulsions were softer, if the temperautre strayed above 25 C, the emulsion would buckle and even detach from the base. Modern emulsions are much harder and will take higher temperatures - but devving at 29 C - wow!