White/black finish of Canon telephoto lenses

istvan_sandor

"When I feel like being particularly fashionable I just put on a pair of red socks or a nice Hawaiian shirt. As far as lens color goes, I couldn't care less. It has absolutely zero impact on my lens purchasing decisions."

Oops !

Hi Istvan, a few weeks ago I put up a post regarding the

off-wWhite color that canon uses on its "L" series lenses, which I'm not too crazy about either. Since I'm thinking about purchasing the 70-200mm F2.8, I visted a couple of websites of large photographic distributors such as B&H and Adorama located in NYC.

They display these very expenses lenses as pure white on their website. The pure white color really turned me off, because I shoot allot of nature shots. I could imagine some Bird saying to himself "what the hell is that glimering white object sticking out of that bush. Let's get out of here !" Not only that, I think pure-white looks cheap. Just take a look at all the "Canon" imitation lenses on eBay and you will have to agree with me.

I got allot of replies/rbuttals on this Forum from people who actually own the lens and they told me it is actually off-white. The off-white I can live with, although I dont think I'll be taking it to "less affluent" areas. I mean that tele-photo lens stick out like 1000+ lens because of it's color.

The thing is I swear I can see some pure-white Canon lenses when I see a group of Professional photographers at a Sports event on TV. I'm not sure if it's the lights or my eyes playing tricks on me.

Tell you the truth, before I plunk my money down, I will call the salesman and ask him to confirm that I'm getting an off-white lens and not a pure white one.

Nothing Personal folks

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...