Apostrophes ?

minicucci

I seem to have a problem getting apostrophes to render correctly. What I see are question marks replacing

the apostrophe.

I generally use Safari as a browser but the issue remains the same if I open the page in FireFox. Changing

text encoding to any of the usual suspects does nothing to cure the problem.

If it is just me, obviously you should ignore, although any suggestions on how to fix on my end would be

appreciated.

Patricia, some applications like Microsoft Word will change regular straight quotes and

apostrophes into curly smart-quotes. These are not html friendly For example (copied from

Word) Mark?s should render as Mark’s, but I don't think it will. If I use straight quotes

it should be fine: Mark's (typed right into safari). Safari is smart enough to deal with these

quotes in the input box when you paste from another application but they get lost along the

way. You might try finding a preference in whatever application you are using (assuming my

hunch is correct) to see if you can turn of smart-quotes. Or just type directly into the input

box--if you use another application because you like its spell check you might not know that

Safari will spell-check for you (shift-command semi-colon).

Thanks Mark. Unfortunately, I do not use any middle program. I am just typing into the

critique box for comments. Safari offers nothing in preferences to turn off curly quotes but

Iլl have to check some of my other utilities to see if they are the culprit. Thanks for the lead!