Rollei Ortho 25 results

A few days ago, Daniel Lawton posted asking if anyone has results from the Rollei Ortho. I shot a roll on

Dec 29 and rated it at 25 with a Haze-1 filter. It was developed in HC110 for 7 min at 1:12 dilution. This

was for continuous tone, altho I was also offered a high contrast development. When I picked them up

today, the guy at the front desk of the lab said high contrast development with ortho film would render

black & white...I think he must've been confusing orthochromatic with ortho lith.

The dark skin tones seem to work best when the subject isn't in bright, direct sunlight...not to mention

that having tan/darker skin helps.

Anyways, enough talk...enjoy the results<div>00JP3A-34293084.jpg.bbd74a6977aa88edc2e0913a011477ed.jpg</div>

I have been play with Ortho film, I think the ortho film will enhance any blemish on skin since they redness, so make up is very very important(or you can choose different model with better skin). Dark red lip stick will become dead black in result image, so warm red a bit to brown will make it dark and sexy. I also find out that dark yelllow filter make the skin much lighter and very sexy looking. Try it you will love it.

X.M. - can you post anything bigger? It's hard to tell anything much from that crop since it's

so small. How light does using a yellow filter make skin with ortho...isn't the point of ortho to

get the dark skin? If you want light skin and dark lips, why not use regular pan film with the

appropriate makeup?

I don't have a scanner J-P. Lightly tanned model was lit by studio strobes,front and 45 degrees.I get the same good variation in tones as your pics but your outside lighting gives a better effect in the case of headshots.Your idea to work outside may be better for this.Here I refer to Adox Ortho.

New art form photo.net found here.

The most pronounced ortho look will be shown when the model either has very dark red lips or is wearing red lipstick. As has been noted any red colored blemishes will be more apparent with ortho film. By photographing a model with darker skin you lose some of the ortho effect because the contrast between her lips and skin is lower. For a model with blemish free skin and with a skin tone which is not obviously reddish, the ortho effect is not as apparent.

It looks like you were careful to give adequate exposure to the model's face while shooting against a bright background.

The images were scanned from the neg on a Noritsu Koki QSS-32_33 by the lab. Remember,

if you want that kind of a tonal range, you'll need a subject with darker skin. I've shot Ekfe on

my sister, who isn't tan like my friend in those photos, and you don't get tones like that...or it

could be that I didn't use a Y2 filter this time as I usually do.