DO NOT BUY DELTA 3200 FROM ADORAMA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan: I remember your previous post about Delta 3200 having high base fog. I even looked at some I purchased that was close to it's expiration date and I knew was stored at room temp in the camera shop. I shot it anyway and developed it in DDX. Actually it was pushed just a tad. Yes, the base fog was a bit more than I am accustomed to. But it scans and prints just fine.

I know you can't tell much from a JPG, but here is one of the frames. f4.5 (wide open) 1/30th (metered to e.i. 4000) , DDX 75 degrees 8 minutes.<div>00IrdN-33601984.thumb.jpg.02fba496cc553ea240043ff447199995.jpg</div>

This is VERY normal for Delta 3200. I work at a pro lab in NYC and have seen and printed

hundreds of rolls of the stuff and it ALWAYS has a high base fog. I am a high speed film

junky, using neopan 1600 developed in acufine so when I tried the Delta years ago I had the

same reaction. Try printing some of it and see what you think about the end result. In my

experience most high speed films will fog because of the films reaction to heat or the air over

time. I have noticed that fogged film will have a heavy fog at one end or the edges but will

not have it on the other end. This is a simple way to tell. Adorama my have its faults and they

don't store the high speed film in the cooler but a heavy base fog for Delta 3200 is normal.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Adorama although I personally buy from B+H. I don't think any retailer bothers to keep B+W film in cold storage. Whenever I've been to B+H and bought film it was simply grabbed from bins in room temperature. This film has to have the poorest keeping qualities of any out there. I shot a roll that was not even a year past expiration and the results were barely printable with tremendous fog. This roll had also been frozen since new. Nevertheless I much prefer Delta3200 to its TMAX counterpart. I just buy from a place that turns it over quickly (like B+H) and keep a close eye on the expiration date. Definitely not a film you want to buy in large quantities unless you plan on using it up quick.

<i> Ryan - I have noticed that fogged film will have a heavy fog at one end or the edges but will not have it on the other end.</i><p><p>This sounds to me like light piping fog. Does it have a polyester base that is vwery ckear if the emulsion is stripped? If so the film should be loaded in very darkened room or else light "pipes" down the base and inside the cassette and fogs the film but doesn't reach the other end as much as the first several frames. I personally haven't used this film as years ago I used Kodak recording speed film 2475 but haven't needed fast B&W since. However, I assume within the year I'll be purchasing some.

<p> If this is the characteriastic of the film, then doen't blame the retailer.

Never had a problem with emulsions bought at Adorama, then again I shot a delta 3200 only once in a concert where flash was prohibited(had no problems other than the grain the size of a golf ball :-)). What Dan says it's true, they only store professional grade E6 and the Kodak portra line in the fridge, everything else is in the shelf, basement or in their new warehouse in New Jersey. Personally, film that won't be used for some time, I always store in the freezer and have no issues, even when they go past the expiration date.

Ilford's own curves in their tech-pub show that Delta 3200 has a B+F density of around 0.35, rising to close to 0.4D on push-processing.

Link to Ilford's Tech notes on P3200 here:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200613019405339.pdf

So is the B+F of your film much greater than 0.4D Dan?

My own experience with Delta 3200 is that it does indeed have a high B+F, and that the grain is really nasty. Coupled with its poor image sharpness, it wouldn't be my first choice of film at all. From any source.