DO NOT BUY DELTA 3200 FROM ADORAMA

I must concur with Dan on "Adorama" Stick with B&H or Unique photo for film needs. The

last time I went to Adorama it appeared as a rather messy/dirorganized shop that was too

small for the quantity of product they move. Not surprised of his experience.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its interesting to see new folks in a tizzy over an ancient thing like base fog. Its been widely published that base fog rises as film ages due to heat since at least WW2. The 1950's books mention cosmic rays, the 1940's books mention coal gas, moth balls, and other chemicals that add to base fog. In astro work and other pro work one tests an emulsion for base fog to see if its ok for the job. <BR><BR>Keeping a fast film such as Ilford Delta 3200 refridgerated or frozen only reduces ONE component of base fog, NOT all of them. For a simpleton's mind it must be the only one, since all this hatred that is expressed on this thread. Super Fast films still get base fog with time even if kept frozen, it just slows down one of the three components. Since film is normally sealed, one usually has no chemical/gas problem so there are practically just two components. <BR><BR>Many stores dont refrigerate their faster films. The 3200 Kodak film was once at Walmart and Walgreens a few years back.<BR><BR>"3200" labeled B&W films usually test about a real iso of 1200 to 1600. The formal test is referenced against base fog, and the slope is defined. Super fresh films test higher, since the base fog is lower. <BR><BR>Even in the old 2475 recording film era one wanted fresh film. I used to bulk load 55 exposure rolls, and use a special giant Nikor reel. Even the film we bought from dealers who kept it cold had some base fog. Even when one keeps ones unused films frozen the fast films still age due to base fog.<BR><BR>Another point here is that Adorama's film can be just received from Kodak, and Kodak can be working off the master roll that has already questionable fog. In future threads on should mention emulsion numbers, instead of attacks on vendors. The goal is actual data, less emotionalism. Another source of base fog is a camera light leak, or poor darkroom with light leakage.

I didn't expect this thread to take so much of everyone's time.

As a consumer, if I buy a product that is claimed good by both the retailer and a manufacturer - I expect the product to perform up to the specs. This time it wasn't the case, so either the manufacturer or the retailer doesn't do what they need to do to keep it fresh enough for quality results. Simple as that. I've had great results with low fog with this film before, just not this time.

I am familiar with cosmic rays fogging the expensive Delta 3200 and TMZ faster than the 400 speed films. But if this film can benefit from being kept refrigerated, why shouldn't they keep it refrigerated? Why should photographers resort to testing for very high base fog the supposedly fresh, in-date Delta or TMZ before commiting to a large number of rolls? It's already very expensive.