it from a online auction site. I aquired it so I can make good size negatives

for my platinum prints.

Wow! I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I've never been near a 8x10

camera in real life before. This thing is huge! The tripod I have does not

come close to handling this camera.

What is your favorite make and model tripod for supporting a 8x10 field

camera?

Thanks - JDR

If cost is not an object, and especially when you will be hiking around with your gear, a heavy duty 13 or 15 series Gitzo tripod made from carbon fiber is a great choice for the 8x10 (e.g. the 1348 or 1548), although any good quality heavy duty tripod will work well. If you need lots of leg extensions those tripods also come in a "Giant" version. Gitzo's heads are fine but there are other choices which I'm sure you'll hear about. I use a Bogen 3057 head with the large camera base on my view cameras since I have other Bogen heads which use the same interchangeable hex-style camera bases.

Are you sure it is a field camera and not a studio camera? I have a Century 1 8x10 and it's very light.

Depending on how old it is, you might want to be sure the groundglass is aligned for film, not plates. And your holders are for film, not plates.

So what does this thing weigh? It matters when considering a tripod.

It is a Kodak camera with wood and red bellows. Probably from the 20s or 30s...I think. It has a fairly large "Ektar" lens. I am sorry, I do not know how much it weighs.

I've waded into large format without much study. I am pretty excited, but have a lot to learn.

The film holders are made by Lisco. I think the holders are more valuable than the camera.

--- JDR

If you want to keep the cost down, but want the most solid tripod you've ever seen, for $40 you can get a surveyors tripod, new, on ebay. I've got one for my 8x10 with a Bogen 3047 head attached and I'm pretty sure that I can support any camera available today without any problems. The down side is weight - this is not something that I would take on a long hike (over 2-3 miles round trip). I've used lighter tripods before, like my Bogen 3001 with the legs retracted and had no problems at all, but it's not the best choice for a heavier camera.

A couple of guys that I shoot with from time to time use jogging strollers to haul their gear around in and this negates the weight of the surveyors tripod, and an 8x10 camera for that matter. You can haul a butt load of gear all day with one of these, and they aren't any wider than a (average) person so they do well on trails. You need one with big wheels though, to handle rough terain.

If weight will be a problem for you, consider the more expensive fancy carbon fiber tripods ($$), but if weight isn't going to be an issue, you can't beat the yellow beastie for cost or stability.

- Randy

Kodak made a perfectly fine field camera, and if you like it there's no problem. I use 4x5 nd 8x10 Korona field cameras quite often and I've never had any desire to use a modern metal camera. There's something about the wood camera that really appeals to me - plus, you can replace anything on them yourself so they will last forever, or as long as wood is available anyway.

- Randy

Okay, that Kodak is about the same as the Century One. Did you get the extension rail with it? Some had a number stamped on the camera where the rail goes, and both should match.

It's not a heavy camera, but with the bellows set for a nontelephoto 300mm lens, it tends to blow like a sail in the breeze. A tripod without a center post is my preferred solution.

FWIW, the classic wooden surveyor tripods that rise high enough (three sections) are super heavy. Zone VI had the temerity to actually sell such surveyor tripods with a cheaply modified head to take a conventional tripod head. It's a waste of money. Modern surveyor pods are composites, plastic and aluminum, and lighter, but have to be modified. I make those modifications and frankly, it's not worth it except for very heavy cameras.

I'd go with the suggestions above for the modern Gitzo - without a center column. Just my two-bits worth.

Good luck! Enjoy!

Hi JD,

Aside from height considerations, you should also be asking yourself how far you'll be

hiking with your gear. Secondly, you should also consider the head you'll be mounting on

the pod.

I use a Manfrotto 475 pod with a 405 geared head and find it quite the heavy beast to lug

for very far. It's solid enough to support my Dorff 8x10 with a 360 Symmar f6.8 on it. But,

lugging it for any great distance isn't a pleasant thing to do.

My suggestion would be to look at either a wooden Berlebach (3022 or 4002) or a carbon

fiber Gitzo 1325. I'd not hesitate in suggesting the 405 geared head either.

The Berlebach will cost you just a couple of hundred dollars, if that. The 1325 will run you

about $500 on the bay.

Cheers

All things considered, it is hard to beat the old standard...the Reis wooden tripod and the Reis head. Check their web site for prices. I have two , the smaller one is for my 5 x 7 Deardorff and the arger for the 8 x 10 Deardorff. Solid, versatile and worth every penny they cost.

I have seen three different carbon fiber tripods have legs that broke at the hinges or attachment points...I'd think twice before committing to that style.

Ries tripods are a good match and they last and last and last. Check the photo.net classifieds as there is currently a good Ries tripod with head for sale. (not mine)

After using it awhile you won't worry too much about the size of the 8x10 camera and 4x5 will become medium format to you.

A good place to try is the Photo Swap meet alot of things show up there at give away prices most seller that have something -Heavy- will be glad to be rid of it !!

I am using a old Gitzo No 4 Tripod Designed for 35mm movie camera's

It weighs about 30 kg but $50 to take it away !!! It was just the thing for me.

I have also seen Studio Stands on casters same sort of deal the seller just wants rid of it. As always one man's trash is another's Treasure

You may have a Kodak 2D. If so you have an excellent camera for landscapes and anything else that doesn't require extensive movements. It's certainly usable without the rear extension but you'll be fairly limited in the longest lens you can use without it. And using it on a tripod will be much easier if you have the accessory sliding tripod block. The only downside of the 2D and many other old 8x10s is no front tilt. You can use back tilt but having front tilt is nice. Richard Ritter can add front tilt to a 2D for about $250.

I've owned a 2D and two Deardorff 8x10s. For rock solid it's hard to beat the Bogen 3046/3246 with the bottom leg section not extended (an 8x10 will be at about eye level without the bottom leg extended and not extending it improves stability). And for a head the Bogen 3057 is excellent. This is not a combination for long hikes but then I don't know what really solid 8x10 set up would be. Both of these items appear fairly often on ebay and you should be able to get both for no more than $200 or so.

I apologize in advance to all the Ries owners but I think they're grossly overpriced. It's a product with very limited sales so that fixed-costs-per-item-sold are very high and a lot of what you're paying for is that (in my opinion of course).

• 7 months later...
I'm late in the game, but then again, I'm late for everything. In 2006 when I was in New York for the Photo Plus Convention, I came accross the Ries booth and played with various models for a couple of days. I love my Gitzo CF, but this years 2007 Photo Plus convention, I will order my new Ries tripod and head. The stability, build quality and mostly the speed of adjusting the tripod is second to none. I will keep my Gitzo for longer hikes, but I really admire the Ries tripods build quality, function and speed of adjustment! Over Priced you say? Are you joking?! I don't think I've ever purched pro camera equipent/accessories and said, "Gee, what a great deal! That product wasn't over priced!" In the last 7 years I've spent way over 50K on Hasselblad, Nikon, Profoto, Avenger, Gitzo, Cabin, Pocket Wizard, Sekonics, Tenba, Lowe Pro, Elinchrome, etc,. I always make sure I get great deals on the equipment I buy and I still know and feel that it's all over priced!! The fact is, I will pay good money for a good quality tool that will work with me out in the field, not against me. Making hieght and angle adjustment on a Gitzo compared to the Ries is a big difference. I look forward to owning and using the Ries tripod out on location.

• 3 years later...
<p>I know this thread is old but I will add my two-cents worth for the benefit of someone who may be interested in the future. I have owned and/or used just about every tripod made including carbon fiber Gitzos. But once I switched to Ries (not Reis as spelled in an earlier post) I never looked back. They are the finest tripods I have ever used and I simply got rid of my Gitzos, Bogen/Manfrotto, etc., tripods. I have a J-series for 4x5" and an A-series for 8x10" and I use Ries double tilt heads on both of them. I have a lot of photography equipment but I would have to say that my Ries tripods are my most treasured tools. Not only are they the best, IMO, but they are beautifully made and last forever. </p>

• 4 years later...

<p>Write in eBay com - search "berlebach tripod" will find old models Berlebah of 20-30 years who have not lifted a time.<br>

These are amazing quality tripods, very stable. Perfect for studio or as a decoration studio for landscape photography.<br>

Alternative sometimes wooden tripods of theodolites, but need adapters for head and central column. Good choice for a telescope, a telescope and other optics.</p>

• 6 years later...
If you want to keep the cost down, but want the most solid tripod you've ever seen, for $40 you can get a surveyors tripod, new, on ebay. I've got one for my 8x10 with a Bogen 3047 head attached and I'm pretty sure that I can support any camera available today without any problems. The down side is weight - this is not something that I would take on a long hike (over 2-3 miles round trip). I've used lighter tripods before, like my Bogen 3001 with the legs retracted and had no problems at all, but it's not the best choice for a heavier camera.

A couple of guys that I shoot with from time to time use jogging strollers to haul their gear around in and this negates the weight of the surveyors tripod, and an 8x10 camera for that matter. You can haul a butt load of gear all day with one of these, and they aren't any wider than a (average) person so they do well on trails. You need one with big wheels though, to handle rough terain.

If weight will be a problem for you, consider the more expensive fancy carbon fiber tripods ($$), but if weight isn't going to be an issue, you can't beat the yellow beastie for cost or stability.

- Randy

I am responding to this 2006 post in 2021 and I wonder if Randall Ellis is still here to answer some questions. If so it ismany years later. May I ask you to go on ebay and find a link for me for a sureyors tripod like yours? And how do you affix the Bogen head to it? I have a Horseman 8x10. The heavy one wit the big heavy L shaped arms. But I am converting it to a lighter field camera by modifying it to be rid of the big heavy L arm on the rear standard. All I have is my Tiltall, and it isn't going to cut the mustard. Thank you.

I am responding to this 2006 post in 2021 and I wonder if Randall Ellis is still here to answer some questions. If so it ismany years later. May I ask you to go on ebay and find a link for me for a sureyors tripod like yours? And how do you affix the Bogen head to it? I have a Horseman 8x10. The heavy one wit the big heavy L shaped arms. But I am converting it to a lighter field camera by modifying it to be rid of the big heavy L arm on the rear standard. All I have is my Tiltall, and it isn't going to cut the mustard. Thank you.

randall ellis was last seen: Oct 25, 2011