Your favorite tripod for 8x10

jdrose

Well if anybody else can pick up the ball and answer, I'd be appreciative.

Most of the surveyor's tripods I've seen have a 5/8"x11 stud in the mounting plate. That would need to be removed so a 3/8" stud can be used with a tripod head like a 3047 Bogen, or some type of ball.

You might try checking out some of the surveyor tripods at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. to see how they're put together in case you decide to find a used one.

I've seen quite a few surveyor's 'pods at car boot sales. Most of them are a darn sight more stable and lighter than any photographic 'pod you could buy for the same price. Typical; put the word "photographic" or "photographer's" in front of any item and the price doubles at least.

Turning down or boring out a 5/8th stud to 3/8ths shouldn't be that big a deal. But I wouldn't recommend a ball head for anything bigger than medium format. Get a 3 way pan-tilt. They're generally cheaper than an equivalent ball as well.

The Manfrotto #029 Mk2 head I have feels strong enough to take almost any camera. Especially if you can find one of the older 4" square QR plates with hexagonal foot.