Best 6x7 on a budget?

michael_pye

I was thinking about getting a 6x7. I don't really want to spend that much. I

was wondering what the board could recommend. I love the idea of the Pentax

6x7. I already own a Pentax 645 and like that very much. But I was wondering

if say an old bottom of the range Mamiya could produce the same quality of

print that say something like the Pentax 6x7 can?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It depends on your shooting style and requirements. The P67 is flawed for me as 1/30 flash sync is not nearly enough for me. The minimum focus distances of most lenses and the non-rotating back (important for waist-level finder use) are also dealbreakers. On the other hand, it is a professional camera with tons of inexpensive lenses and accessories and produces stunning results when handled correctly.

If the electronic RZ67 (which can operate with RB's lenses) is out of your price range, the Mamiya RB67 is the next logical choice. Drawbacks are the weight and bulk of the camera, and that there are not as many safety interlocks as on the RZ. But thanks to the camera's popularity the lenses are common and very affordable nowadays. Older 6x7 format cameras are not nearly as widespread and might not be as reliable and easy to repair as the 6x7 SLRs.

Micheal,

Pentax 67 prices have plummeted in the last couple of years. With a Pentax 67 you can buy an inexpensive adapter and use the P-67 lenses on your Pentax 645. Two for one!

But as previously stated the 1/30th sec. flash sync can be a problem depending on what you are shooting. However, the 165mm leaf shutter lens is a great portrait lens if that's what you want to do.

Joe D.

P67 has two lenses with leaf shutter on them, a 90mm/f2.8 and 165mm/f4. I have both and they are inexpensive these days. I just picked up one 90mm/f2.8 for $120 in 9/10 condition. This is actually my 2nd one. I like my first so much I just couldn't pass the chance for a 2nd at that price. I paid $250 for the 165mm a year ago at like new condition. These two lenses with leaf shutter in my opinion are worth collecting. They are no dogs. You will not be disappointed.

I second the RB67. I love mine and it consistently turns out excellent results.

I've never used the pentax 6x7 but I pretty sure it wouldn't produce quality better than the RB. I got the RB because of the wlf and pentax horror stories of mirror slap, low flash sync, no removable backs, high cost. I wasn't crazy on the monster sized 35mm style body either.

If you are really after best best on a budget buy a pro-s body and buy only the KL line of lenses.

Thanks again for all your replies. I'm making a mental note and see what conclusion I can come to.

On another note would a Fuji 6x9 produce better quality photographs than say a Bronica, Pentax or Mamiya 6x7. I know the obvious size of the negative difference, but I was more thinking of the lens quality e.t.c.

The Fujis are excellent cameras, there's no doubt about it, and their lenses are first-rate... but so are Mamiya and Bronica lenses. Are they worth the significant difference in price? I'm skeptical.

Personally, my biggest complaints with the RB67 is how complicated it seems to operate (and I regularly use an anniversary model Speed Graphic, a very Rube Goldberg-esque camera indeed) and how dim the ground glass is. I do a lot of low-light and nighttime shooting, and infinitely prefer the viewfinder of my Koni Omega.

There is essentially no difference in quality whether you choose Pentax, Mamiya, Bronica or Fuji. All are excellent systems with very good lenses. There are clear differences in operation and compatibility with your existing Pentax 645 system. Also in size, weight and lens selection.

I asked myself the exact same question over the past month and came up with Mamiya RB67. From KEH the camera, one back, 90 or 127 C lens, and waistlevel finder in bargain condition will come in under $300 and nobody can look down their nose at you quality-wise. It is fiddly to use but in a fun way.

Hi Michael, If you looking for a 6x7 camera, I have 2 Pentax 67 (mint condition) camera

body and another one (older) with polaroid (NPC). Best camera for fashion, portait and

landscapes, easy to use and not to heavy.

I also have 6 differents lens;

90 mm f/2.8 leaf shutter

105 mm f/2.4

150 mm f/2.8

165 mm f/4 leaf shutter

200 mm f/4

300 mm f/4

and some accessories. I sell this materiel because I'm doing more video than photo now.

Everything is in perfect or very good shape. The 67 bodies are like new.

Yves

foto.yfortin@sympatico.ca

I have a Mamiya RB-67 (as well as C330 and Bronica ETRSi MF cameras), but I'm considering a 6x7 back for my Wista folding 4x5. The Mamiya is great for portraits and landscapes, but--like the Pentax 67--it's not something I can hand-carry like I can a 35mm or my Bronica ETRSi (6x4.5). If I'm going to carry a tripod in addition to a bag, I figure I might as well get rise, fall, and swing. Plus, the Wista body wieghs in a quite a bit less than the RB-67 body.

<p>

Kelly

Lots of good useful suggestions, and I think it comes down to how you want to operate. Do you prefer a rangefinder type use or the SLR? Is a wide range of lens focal lengths and special-purpose glass attractive?

I went with the P6x7 thirty years ago because I loved the eyelevel-viewing monster-SLR idea, and it's been great all this time. I really dislike waist-level viewing, and though bulky, the P6x7 is not hard to carry over your shoulder or hand-hold for shooting. The 1/30 flash sync on the FP shutter is no handicap because I just don't use flash. I wander about and use it as I would a manual 35mm SLR. Now I have a pair of P67II and like them even more... :-) Good luck and have fun shopping!