<P>When in doubt,<BR>

Try it out<BR>

On something<BR>

You don't care<BR>

Very much about<BR>

<BR>

Still in doubt?<BR>

Toss it out!</P>

<P>And keep in mind that your time and developing costs are worth far more than anything you'd save on the film. Not to mention, the cost of lost shots.</P>

I've recently purchased and used 8-12 year old APX25, Neopan 400, HP5+ and Delta 100 in bulk rolls with no problems at all. I would not use it for pro gigs or anything like that but for hobbyist work, why not? If you can, buy a couple rolls to try out first.

All film will fog if you keep it long enough, and fast film fogs faster than slow. I've got some 25-year-old Panatomic-X that's still pretty good. On the other hand, some relatively new APX400 seems to have acquired a fairly high edge density.

With high levels of fog, you lose speed and dynamic range.

If it was in the fridge, most probably is OK. I've shot film (B&W) that was expired 15 years and came out perfect.

Furthermore, my late father-in-law once gave me a Retina IIIc that had an old roll of Kodacolor 80 inside.

It was a 30 year old roll, process C3 or something like that, certainly not C41. I sent it to the local minilab and they printed it. Color was a bit on the washed side but otherwise all right.

I self use a strange kodak film from the early 70ies. it expired 1973

and after some testing because I had no data I get very nice results.

I was dirtcheap and was fun to play around with but now I that I know how it works with diffrent developers it is really cool to work with

so go and get some rolls test it with non critical work and develope it normally

but remember to bracket the exposures so you know where you should go with another roll

I got some old 1996 Provia 4x5 sheets from one source that is useable but a slight color shift and I also got some T64 Quickloads 2002 that is totally junk from a different source.

It was cheap, but at the cost of processing and wasted time, not worth it... The seller insisted it was good and always cold stored... but I can probably get a refund/exchange so all is not lost... but heck, I only paid $10 for a box of 20 so it was REAAAAALY cheap, and I also bought a boatload of other film from him at a super bargain price so one bad apple out of 20 boxes of film at 70% off of everything is still a good deal overall.