Nice to be an R8/R9 user ?

"Guy Mancuso did. Say what you will about his photos but they pay his bills."

In fact I said I thought they were impressive. My question was why he felt like he had to call Marc Williams's (an undeniably good photographer) opinion BS that AF is beneficial for some instances. If two photographers produce equally pleasing photographs, does the one not using AF earn additional ranking points or something? I suppose a demonstrably a good photogapher might be forgiven for thumping his chest and braying that he doesn't need no stinkin' AF, but to put down other demonstrably good photographers for using AF just reflects back badly on the one who says it. I think. And Guy's last post telling two posters to "stick it" kind of clarifies for me his general attitude.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boris last comment , no one has seen one photo from you, If you think you are all that . Than proof it, Otherwise your just talk. Also if you keep up with the slander , you will find a lawsuit sitting on your door next week. Boris there is a full article on the DMR and if you can't get any info from that than you are a stupid person. BTW i never have been happier than to call you on your superiorty to photography, your a joke to this community and always have been. I wish I could say your work sucks but than again maybe you don't even take pictures , never seen one to prove otherwise. Just waiting for a moderator to ban you so keep up the great talk , it is entertaining to say the least. Personally I hate this site was just trying to help the poster and could care less if they did ban me, see the point is I don't care what any of you think unless you are paying my invoices

Who the hell put Marc down at all, sorry if that read that way but it was not intended at all. AF is a luxury and I said that many times , it misses more than it hits and it simply cannot read your mind. I find it more of a hinderance than a asset. i have shot many high speed action with manual and to be honest with much better results . AF is good in one area and that is focus tracking with subjects coming at you, on manual that is the toughest task. But any side to side is very easy. Although I have shot jtes on landings with manually for many years at 140mph with Nikkor 600 lenses with great success. What i am saying is AF is way overrated and it kills me when people say you cannot do without it. Talk to the guys that shot sports for years with manual focus, they did just fine. Canon and Nikon are hard to shoot manual because they are designed for AF and need better MF screens

"If you think you are all that . Than proof it"

You just don't get it do you? Even if I've never picked up a camera in my life it does

nothing to strengthen your position - I'm not doing the boasting, you are. Aren't you

curious as to why the pro pro pro

mantra is not enhancing your standing here. Surely, everybody should be

falling at your feet given your "pro" status. Do you really imagine that people

are somehow jealous of you? It's the totally unwarranted arrogance and aggression of your

postings that

alienates people. It's kind of ironic, considering all the abuse you've needlessly sprayed

around, that you're now the one threatening a lawsuit?

"AF is good in one area and that is focus tracking with subjects coming at you"

That's about the only time I use it too, but glad it's there then.

"What i am saying is AF is way overrated and it kills me when people say you cannot do without it."

I've never heard any experienced pro say they cannot, just that they wouldn't want to do without it.

"Talk to the guys that shot sports for years with manual focus, they did just fine."

When you say "shot" do you mean those that are no longer shooting? Talk to the ones working now and 99.99999% of them are using AF cameras, and using the AF most of the time, except when they feel it's working against them. And the sports shots in the magazines look pretty durn good to me.

"AF...it misses more than it hits and it simply cannot read your mind"

It's not meant to read your mind, you're meant to tell it where to focus. If you separate

autofocus from the shutter release then you get a really efficient hybrid of auto and

manual focus.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Leica blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Leica blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah DMR blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

John not saying it is not a very helpful feature , what I am saying is people will not even consider a manual focusing camera because they think they can't do without and that is baloney,manual focus has been around forever since when did it fall out of grace. Is AF the total dominance now, i think it is sad that people rely on it so much and don't want to be more involved with focusing in on something. Hard to describe but even when I shot Canon I manual focused on paying jobs , just that simple. Would not trust it . But what i have found going back to all manual my concentration has come back much better , with AF you seem to get lazy and this is very hard to desribe in words but anyway AF has it's place no doubt but man manual focus did not die because AF came around. When it can actually think on what you want to focus than i will be all over it, but focus tracking is it's strong point.

Boris go back to the beginning and read the posts you started everything , i just responded and frankly i can't stand you personnally so I don't care, it is that simple. My Pro status is meaningless here and anywhere on the net, could care less except to potential paying and existing clients, what you think of me just says it all, your a idiot with a agenda. Go away and leave me be

Anthony back to your question about bulk and weight. It is a big camera and a little heavy but compared to a 1dsMKII for size and weight reference a touch smaller but the weight is less and that is becuase the DMR battery is about a 1/3 the weight and size and also the capacity. I get around 250 to 350 DMR shots with one battery and i believe about 1200 with the 1dsMKII so you have a give and take there. I personnaly like the lighter weight of the camera because that is in my hands and extra batteries in a roller bag. Now the feel of the camera , the DMR fits the hand better no question for me. So is it worth the weight and bulk for me yes it is because that is all I really have every had anyway was Pro level camera's like the F3 and Hassy stuff so it is normal but for the weekend shooter it certainly can be a hassle and reason a lot of folks would buy the Canon non pro line and Nikon 's none pro line like the D200 which I just got for Tilt and Shift work and it is a nice camera and built well. But If i quit today I would go buy the DM and 4 lenses and be a happy camper. LOL

"i think it is sad that people rely on it so much and don't want to be more involved with focusing in on something."</p>What difference does it make as long as the image turns out the way the photographer wanted and the viewer likes? Are you saying that professional photographers who use AF just point it willy-nilly and accept the image whatever the AF focused on? If that's true then AF works a lot better than you give it credit. If it's not true then those photogs must have it under their control more than you give them credit. Because there's a ton of outstanding photography being done with AF. </p> "Hard to describe but even when <b><i>I</i></b> shot Canon <b><i>I</i></b> manual focused on paying jobs , just that simple. Would not trust it . But what <i><b>i</i></b> have found going back to all manual my concentration has come back much better , with AF <i><b><u>you</i></b></u> seem to get lazy" (prepositions highlighted for emphasis)</p> Therein lies the problem. No one would argue with you if you didn't insist on extrapolating your personal opinions to everyone else, particularly when as I said, there is a ton of outstanding photography being done with AF. And I'm not speaking of myself. I so rarely shoot action-type shots that I welcome AF because I do lack practice manually-focusing action shots.

cheers Allan, mine was taken with velvia 50. the slide looks like that. 15 min or so after sunset with 45 sec exposure, cokin blue/yellow polrzr & 6 nd grad. i should scan a few more of these before they deteriorate.

John if every word i speak gets taken to some weird extreme than I don't know what to say to you. Obviously you want to pull every word and make something of it, I speak of experience in the business that relates to others that also shoot and point out area's that i have noticed that are of a concern to everyone to look and watch out for , nothing else and quit the superior crap . It is frankly as stupid as Boris making comments , i do not disagree with AF but it is not the end all in a process to achieve perfect focus and that is my point to folks that rely heavily on it that it does miss and sometimes a great deal and for someone that is not stopped down to F8 that will mask those errors they may never notice it. But working in wide open area's it will miss a lot. You seem to think I have never shot the Canon or Nikon AF systems and make a opinion on the fact that maybe they just are not as good as some think. is there something wrong with that statemnet that offends you , i certainly hope not. It is my opinion and my experience with these systems, take it or leave it at the door step. If you buy Canon , Nikon or something that say's camera on it than that is your business and I really don't care. All I acan say is what I know and what I have tested to a great deal on these systems. i have been doing this for 31 years and if you don't trust my opinion than don't listen. Move on but if I think you lose some concentration than maybe that is a clue to look at that within your own style and see if that is true or not. i help hundreds of people a week on this stuff so it is not about me and what i do but it is about what i know and what you can gain from that, if nothing than it is nothing. if you can learn something from what I say than you get ahead in the game of learning just like from anyone else. Why do i get the slam every freaking time I come in here and try to help someone and get a brusing from Mr. Boris for him making a comment about me , now I am the bad guy, screw that if you bash me i will respond in a big way. if you are freindly I will give the shirt off my back to help. Pick what road you want to take because i have helped many that do appreciate the advice and help but don't get onthe hobbyist podium and try and strike down guys that have been around and have valid opinions on area's that they know very well. If it sounds like some super human stuff than get over it , that is not my style at all but don't cross me or i will respond in a aggressive and nasty way. i would rather a friendly conversation without the Boris elements that abound this site much to often. I can joke with the best of them but comments made in bad taste i will respond and it will not be pretty.