Nice to be an R8/R9 user ?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy, you've done nothing but bite - albeit toothlessly and with a total absence of menace.

Like a week old poodle minus the charm. Your contribution seems to have

degenerated into a full on primal scream of rage, pointless self-aggrandisement, and

anxiety. And for what? Defending the honor of a fairly ordinary camera....You can protest

all you like that you don't care about my comments, but your constant

references to me (even in my absence) suggest otherwise. I don't think I've ever

encountered before such oozing insecurity. Ironically, the harder you try to insult me the

more I end up actually feeling sorry for you. Given that we live in a google age I've no idea

why a "pro" like yourself would choose to abusively rant on a forum like this. Would you

really be relaxed about a prospective client doing a search on you and being brought to a

thread like this (interestingly, despite your self-proclaimed status a google search on your

name

kicks up little more than links to photo forums)?

Boris i am defending myself and not any camera , you are the one critizing me and my work go back and read your comments . I will not be critized by some creature that has no place to do so, like I said who are you to attack me, Have you put many years into being a photographer and a working one at that, where is the credibilty that you may think you have . No that is obvious , you are just some lurking idiot that wants to play games , first you need to banned from this site and second maybe you really need some serious help.As I said before Boris you are way out of line and it is about time someone did something about it, you based your comments on nothing to start with and now you simply want to make yourself look good. Screw you if you think being a pro i don't have that right to say that than i am also a human and will not be treated any less than with respect. So move on there is nothing here for you to say anymore. You made yourself known as no one that can proof to me you even know anything about photography and your opinion is meaningless. I have much better things to do with my time and searching for me on the internet will proof nothing. I don't post my invoices there. Boris if you want to read of the DMR go read the 1200 pages on Fred Miranda site, maybe if you took your head out of the sand you may learn something about it than critize people that volunteer there time to help others

<I>... where is the credibilty that you may think you have.</I><P>

Just for the record, and with respect to photography, for me, Boris has more credibility than

almost anyone here. That's based on years of insightful and accurate comments across a

wide breadth of topics on photography. He's the only one (or two) who doesn't post pics but

who I still pay attention to.<P>

Sorry Guy, you need to find a different angle - that dog won't hunt.

www.citysnaps.net

Yea a lot of talk about nothing, I don't see one crediable source from him or images but since i don't post images i am not crediable either , excuse me. What makes him different than me there is no web site of his work or source of info from anything that he has tested or frankly anything. Sorry that dog won't hunt with me either my friend. i have all this and is posted on the FM site just don't post here do not like 500 pixels wide images , you can't see anything. SDorry i will take critism from someone I respect , he shot his mouth of first so the cake is in his face. i don't care what he thinks but my reputation is important , I teach workshops and have a great business as a commercial shooter , so anyone taking stupid pot shots at me better have some serious crediabilty it is that simple. Sorry my friend but you bark is but a whine. Now if we can get on to something that actually matters than i am all for it otherwise this is total BS crap that is meaningless.

It is abundantly obvious that Boris, and his various siblings, knows a great deal about

photography. There is no need, for him to post any photos to somehow qualify his opinions.

To use an old, and slightly quaint, English expression, he adds to the gaiety of the nation and

these forums would a duller place without his contributions.

However, for reasons of moral probity, it is best if we gloss over his alarming penchant for

Halston dresses and Sister Sledge records.

Thanks Brad, I appreciate your comments.

Guy rants impotently, abusively (isn't that against the forum rules?), and ever more

desperately on:

"go back and read your comments"

OK, I actually think it would be helpful to go back and quote the comment which Guy

found so offensive. Here it is: "have any genuinely serious league photographers dumped

their Canons for the DMR?" That's right, Guy's apoplectic because I don't feel he falls into

this category. Here's your chance Guy, make the case for you being a major league

photographer. All I've seen is your website which shows deeply ordinary pr images. There's

nothing wrong with that, but I'm baffled by you apparently imagining yourself a significant

player.

"I will not be critized by some creature

that has no place to do so"

Sorry big guy, but it doesn't work like that. The very nature of a discussion forum is that

people will put forward views

that sometimes contradict with your own. Pretty much everybody else deals with that, but

if you can't then it would be better for your blood pressure and mental health to just stay

away.

"where is the credibilty that you may think you have"

I'm happy with Brad's answer to this question.

"first you need to banned from this site"

On what basis? Not taking you remotely seriously is not to the best of my knowledge a

banning offense. However, unless I'm very much mistaken, your repeated recourse to

abuse is.

"second maybe you really need some serious help"

Look in the mirror Guy.

"Boris you are way out of line and it is about time someone did something about it"

If I'm way out of line why are you finding it so difficult to do something about it? The

reason you've no chance of putting me in my place is that I don't resort to BS and

self-aggrandisement.

"you simply want to make yourself look good"

No, I simply want to add to a potentially interesting debate. If I'm looking good it's

primarily because standing next to you it's difficult to look otherwise.

"Screw you if you think being a pro i don't have that right to say"

You've the same right as everybody else. No more, no less. It's up to you whether you use

that right to look smart or foolish.

"i am also a human"

Don't tempt me....

"and will not be treated any less than with respect"

This may be a novel concept, but you have ever considered the concept of earning respect

(again, see Brad's comments)? Sadly, it's beyond some people to earn this, but it's still

worth trying; demanding respect invariably fails.

"So move on there is nothing here for you to say anymore"

Sorry Guy, you're just a sad voice in the wilderness here. It's just not your call to make.

"your opinion is meaningless"

Again, I'll defer to Brad.

"What makes him different than me...."

You don't have the time or the space to list all of the things that make me different to you,

but a good start would be wit and self-awareness.

"i...do not like 500 pixels wide images , you can't see anything"

You can't see ultimately how good an image is at this size, but you can certainly see some

major problems at this size. I fail to see how downsizing a mighty DMR file can induce, for

example, blown highlights.

"SDorry i will take critism from someone I respect , he shot his mouth of first so the cake

is in his face"

You seem to be rambling even more than normal now. Who is S Dorry? And why is the cake

in his face?

"i don't care what he thinks"

You might not care what S Dorry thinks, but the evidence is depressingly and

growingly abundant that you care what I think.

"my reputation is important , I teach workshops and have a great business as a

commercial shooter"

I think we all get the message loud and clear that you take yourself and your reputation

seriously, although the presence of more than a hint of desperation suggests a serious

underlying insecurity. If you have a "great business" then I'm pleased for you, just don't try

to use it as a stick to beat others.

"Now if we can get on to something that actually matters than i am all for it otherwise this

is total BS crap that is meaningless."

On that, my angry friend, I'm more than happy to agree.

Andrew, I hope you don't mind me being bold, but you've never looked more beautiful

than you do today.

I was shocked to read in another thread that you work for Tatler. Do you have a title?

Should I address you as Lord Lamb? Is Millie Simpson, as a former colleague of hers told

me, actually a real live princess?????

Boris, you may address me as the Duchess of Camden. If I look beautiful (and all my servants

think I look terrific) it's because I bathe regularly in Creme de la Mer.

Millie has certainly been a princess to me and given me some fun jobs to do. Having said

that, I wished I knew her when she was on Sight & Sound.

Andrew thank you for making fun of my typing abilities. First i am not very good at it and never will be. i think much faster than the fingers will go and 1 a one finger typist is just not the best solution also i have a very fast paced life with 2 kids and a wife and lot's of work all the time , I put in 16 hours a day, be it shooting or working files, billing, marketing and everything that the President down to the custodian does. i simply don't have the time or energy to go back and fix my errors and frankly I could gives a rats a.... that i did, it simply is not important to me but i do take the time and energy when typing my invoices and bids , contracts and other communication with my clients. To me that is all that matters so there if you want to make fun of it , go right ahead. it only means I am busy and trying to support my lifestyle, which I love. Now on this whole other matter , i am sorry it got this ugly and i like to have fun and love photography and the whole business of it, i am almost 50 years old been a working pro since i was 19 and i simple just don't take any s.... from anyone anymore. If that sounds not very friendly than i am sorry but honestly i am a very friendly person and have helped many just not on this site which seriously I wonder why i bother there are a lot of low life's here and for some stupid reason, I feel the need to help people. I should get over that because i do not like this place at all, too much like dpreview and the moderators are obviously on vacation on this thread for sure. i am sure Boris is a knowlegable person to some degree with regards to photography but i work at it every day along with many other pro's that bust there a... to make a living, so you may not like what we shoot but we are shooting to make clients happy and do what THEY want, we have sold our soul a long time ago to make a living. If you guy's want to continue to ride my a... than do it in a e-mail and not here in public guymancuso at cox dot net . This is not the place to go any further with this and I will not be any part of it anymore. it actually is sickening

"so you may not like what we shoot but we are shooting to make clients happy and do

what THEY want'

Guy, I didn't say that I don't like your photos. I'm a professional photographer too and I

understand that's it all about keeping the clients happy. What I didn't like was the

aggressive tone you took and the fact you started threatening legal action. Talk about

raising the stakes unnecessarily.

Two things about Boris. Firstly, he knows a great deal about photography and offers very

considered opinions. Secondly, he has a sense of humour. It's as simple as that.

I could tell you a third thing but I'd want lots of cash first.

As for the gag about your typing, mine isn't any better than yours. I take the time to

eradicate as many mistakes as I can. It's all about communication.

Actually it is not hard to do and does take a minute or 2 to make the switch. one nice thing leica did was give you a cover for the sensor so it is protected when off. The way it works to remove is motor drive first than get cover plate and put that on the inside of the DMR and it actually release's the pin (pretty cool) than put away in case . The film back goes on than the smal battery clips back in and your off. Honestly never ran a roll through the camera but it really is simple and fast to do.

Thanks Rene and Andrew yes guilty as charged . i am very passionate about my work and this business, honestly this is what i know best and my emotions do run high. Maybe because I care not sure. I don't dare go into wedding forums , i simple would have a heart attack. Gotta run to a gig

Andrew, have you considered using your impeccable Brit breeding in an effort to take

Manhattan? Look what a humble OBE, a Rolleiflex, and a welded-on Rolleinar did for Pykey.

One day he's a jobbing hack living in a Hastings beach hut, the next he's stepping into

Avedon's shoes at The New Yorker. Reality is stranger than fiction can ever be....

Boris, yes I know all about SP's contract-friends of friends et al. I did actually see the New

Yorker about 5 years ago and got, what seemed to me, a positive repsonse. I was certainly

in there for long enough and had a very amiable chat with Elisabeth Biondi.

I've got a soft spot for the New Yorker, always have done. I get it every week. However,

even though she really did seem to like the pics, the lack of b/w prints in my book was

deemed to be something of a drawback and I still haven't remedied this.

Haven't been in contact with them since. Haven't been to NY in 2 years. Can't actually

spend too much time there as there's a certain brand of marmalade, that I used to have

every day with muffins at Eton just after my daily flogging, and one can't find it anywhere

in New Amsterdam.

Yeah, it cuts both ways. I understand Guy doesn't do much work in Europe because of a

culinary incompatibility - the Brits and the Surrender Monkeys just can't make a decent

fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. Elvis had the same problem. Still, Paris and

London's loss is Racoon Ranch, Arizona's gain. My hope is that the addition of squirrel to

the menu at St John's might persuade him that there is at least a glimmer of sophistication

and taste on the

ugly side of the Atlantic - if you hear the clatter of cowboy boots in Clerkenwell, you never

know, it might be the big man himself. Buy him a drink for me....

If I did hear the clatter of cowboy boots in Clerkenwell I could only assume that Turnmills was

having a Village People night.

If your new best friend did come over here who would he work for? Tatler? Dazed &

Confused? Arena Homme Plus?

It's funny, I had always assumed the diaspora of dodgy snappers would always be

westwards. I never dreamt that it could be towards the land of the gastro-pub. Squirrel it is

then! I'll notify the Eagle, Moro, the Wolsley, Ramsay ect..

Nels, Steve Pyke is one of those photographers whose work I look to when I need some

inspiration or a simple reminder that a jobbing photgrapher can do good work.

I don't think he's used the DMR yet. I gather he's been shooting 5x4 recently. Either way, nice

stuff.