Full frame Nikon out soon...

steve_larese1

That rumor has been going on for months. I attened a short class by well known nature photographer George Lepp a few weeks ago. Lepp is sponsored by Canon and there were several Canon reps in the room to promote Canon equipment. One of the first thing Lepp mentioned that day was the Nikon full-frame rumor.

We'll find out for sure in the next week or two. Personally, I think it is rather unwise to spend money and get on any waiting list for a camera whose details (e.g. price, capabilities) are not yet announced and certainly not yet tested by independent authorities outside of Nikon.

I am not sure I can even afford such a camera, but if I can, I'll wait at least 6 months to perhaps a year until the initial demand dies down and the bugs worked out. There is nothing that wrong with my current D2X that I must upgrade quickly.

I believe it. The next top of the line Nikon digital will be full frame. They have to do that to keep their foothold in the pro market. Since the Canon 1DS Mark II was released a couple of years ago, Nikon hasn't had anything that can compete with it. I've worked on countless images from this camera, and they are silky smooth and gorgeous. Nikon D2x images are OK, but aren't in the same league that I've seen on my calibrated monitor.

Dave

Eventually Nikon will have to release a full-frame D3 to keep step with Canon, but considering that they really just released the D2Xs, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Then again, considering Sony provides Nikon with their sensors, wonder if it will be the next generation Sony DSLR that has a FF sensor first.

I DO HOPE it's true, and I DO HOPE it attracts a LOT of people who upgrade and decide to discard their barely used D2X, which in turn I DO HOPE drives down the price of current bodies, and especially the D200 to under $1000.

Yeah, I keep hoping.

My thoughts on the 1.5 crop situation, is that we've been sold a "bill of goods". They should have waited untill FF sensors were feasable and reasonable before pawning this garbage onto us. When we go from an viewfinder like the F3 HP or the 8008s to the one on my D50, we've gone backwards.

Vivek, if you went back at this point, Nikon should, and I suspect, would probably still do something for you, by way of a customer accommodation on that BGLOD repair. <p>

After all, the D70 <a href=http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/d70.html>Service Advisory</a> is still posted on the Nikon website, and Nikon is still fixing D70 cameras.

Folks (Micahel S and Michael Rubin who emailed me), Thanks. The d70- BGLOD issue is over for me. My camera was over the 1 year warranty and died a few months before Nikon admitted to the issue. I had paid to get it fixed (a year or two ago).

A very valuable lesson learnt about buying unreliable cameras which has nothing to do with Nikon, Canon or Leica brands.