Full frame Nikon out soon...

steve_larese1

The only advantage a ff would be for me is to get the most out of my wide lenses, but even

with the Canons there is vinetting, digital just can't get around that. Leica compromised

with the 1.33 crop. For publication the D2x is just fine as far as resolution. I'd rather see

DX fast, fixed superwides on the market before a ff that I can't afford that's not going to

be able to take advantage of the 14mm. Still, I'm sure I'd sleep better at night knowing

there's a full frame Nikon out there, at least I could jab back at my Canon friends...

Steve, exactly which camera store is taking orders of this non-existing (at least not yet) Nikon FF DSLR?

As with all rumors, please take this one with a grain of salt. Back in August 2005, there were a lot of rumors that Nikon would announce the D200 on September 1 that year. It turned out that Nikon only announced several Coolpix digicams, and a lot of people were really disappointed. It was another two months before Nikon finally announced the D200, on November 1. And then it was the shortage and banding problems .... I certainly am not interested in paying full price to become a beta tester for a new model. That lession has been learned over and over since the film era.

Area wise FF is 2.25 times bigger than aps-c, as a comparison 645 is 2.72 times bigger than, almost the same. No one says there isn't much difference between 645 and 35mm when it comes to film and the same can be said for difference between 35mm and aps-c film.

It amazes me that people are very quick to say things like "there isn't as much difference between a ff and a aps-c as we think". The digital era hasn't been settled down yet. Once FF sensors become more available and manufactures are optimising them as much as the current aps-c then you can have a fairer say on it. Of course the best FF sensor which is 16mp which isn't much more than best aps-c sensor which is 12mp, however in few years when the digital age is more settled there will be much bigger difference in the resolution. You only need to take d2x sensor and make it full frame to get 28mp sensor. My argument is that what ever the best aps-c sensor is you can make that full frame and you'll get 2.25 time the resolution and that is a quite a bit of difference. Of course at the moment it isn't cost effective to do that but in the future it will probably become cost effective.

Hi Shun,

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but they're extremely reputable and haven't let me

down before. Their Nikon rep swore them to secrecy (Loose lips sink chips...). "Soon" is

extremely subjective in Nikonlanda, as illustrated perfectly by your D200 analogy, but

photogs are already putting money down to be among the first to own the Nikon FF (I'm

afraid if we call it the obvious D3 that'll jinx the whole deal). But came the D200 did, and

I've been thrilled with it (as long as I don't need to print larger that 8x10 or so). I'm with

you, I'm not into paying $7,000 or so to beta test, especially when there's guaranteed to

be a D3xs the day after I pay it off. Maybe they heard what you heard, but I've never heard

so many "Hang in there, it's coming"s. Maybe Nikon leaked something to keep the masses

from going to the Canon 5D. Anyway, Christmas is a year away, I have to get excited about

something.Maybe they'll release a full frame digital back for my F5 at the same time :D

"If it were that simple don't you think they'd have done it already?"

I think the cost is the main issue so far, but also buffer, data transfer rate and so on plays a part, and other things like concerns of light fall off also. But on purely manufacturing sensor wise it probably is as simple as that, you just increase the size on the silicon, but increase size on silicon wafer will result in more waste and higher cost per sensor.

Sorry Steve, the logic that this store is supposedly accepting $7000?? deposits for this unannounced camera but is somehow also keeping this whole thing as a "secret" is beyond me.

In any case, the PMA begins on March 8, which is less than 3 weeks away. We'll find out one way or another soon enough.

I'll close this discussion soon but we'll have a chance to review it 3 weeks from now. :-)

"I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but they're extremely reputable and haven't let me down before. Their Nikon rep swore them to secrecy (Loose lips sink chips...)."

So your friends tell you after swearing to secrecy and you then stick it straight on the web, six degrees will get any decent investigator to them. NDA's will see the end of that rep, I'd asume you almost need to sign them in blood. Ellis?

Bring on PMA we need more p&s cams, I'd love a d3H but not holding my breath.

When I shoot the 1.5 crop frame and then go and shoot an 8008s, I find I really really do not like that digital crop thing. I really do not.

The 8008s is like a sigh of relief after shooting a lot with the digi-crop view finder. I feel the cripped finder is pinched.

So, if Nikon makes a full frame sensor camera, I will like that. However, it is also just as likely I won't be able to afford it.

• 2 weeks later...