POW: it's about time ...

liuyuan

It's Monday again, 4:45 pm here in central Europe, already getting

dark, but I know I'll have to wait until Tueday to see the new Photo

of the Week. It's always been like this. Plus, I know people like

Jacques Henry living in the fareast will sometimes have to wait until

Tuesday afternoon to see the POW. This is very strange. PN is without

any doubt an international website, can we not be more international?

I think it's about time to change the time you're using. How about

posting the POW at 00:01 GMT Monday?

I'm glad to hear that you are eagerly awaiting the POW but, really, what difference does the exact time make? The POW gets a week, more or less, starting some time on Monday. Actually, Patrick Hudepohl, who is the person who coordinates the Elves and is the one who posts the POW, is on Central European Time (GMT+1). He does it during the day on Monday.

Yuan, you were very hard with me and my beloved EGO... I check site feedback, I read POW, then I read my name... I thought that'as my day at PNet... but still none my picture on PNhome.... just a lonesome cowboy in the eastern!<p>

:o)<p>just jokin'<p>half...!

I thought Patrick volunteers his services to photo.net, as do the majority of the other PN staff. I also thought he does a lot more for the site than just manage the POW process. If I'm right about this, then I think a little patience is in order here. If Patrick's a day or two or three late in selecting the POW, or if he even skips a week every now and then, so what? Let's just be appreciative for all that he and the other volunteers do for this site. We're getting an awful lot for a measly $25 per year or nothing at all, for the majority of site "members".

Guys, don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about Patrick & Co.. I can certainly appreciate the hard work of the PN team. Great job indeed!

I actually knew Patrick lives somewhere in the Netherlands which is in the same time zone as mine, but I didn't know he has a gusto for a hectic day :) Just kidding. But I'd always assumed the policy is to make sure the folks in the west coast of the States can see the POW at a proper time on Monday. And I thought the Elves always had several already selected photos in their hands. Seriously, if I were Patrick I would certainly do it that way and set a time for the server to post it automatically. As POW is not necessarily a picture uploaded in the previous week, you have an ocean of choices, and you can really choose, say 10 pictures at one time. Anyway, just my thought.

Wow, I'm glad to hear that you are eagerly awaiting the new selection! I just got back from

work, switched on my home computer and started making dinner. I will publish the new POW

real soon now.

I try to stay away from photo.net during

Oops. Water is boiling. Hang on! Gotta run!

OK, the macaroni is in. Haven't got much time, because it's this super-fast super-easy thing.

Yes, I'm a hack when it comes to cooking.

Anyway, I try to stay away from photo.net during work hours as much as possible or else I

wouldn't get anything done. I do switch on my computer before going to work but that's

usually just to read some news.

Oh, have to check my pasta sauce now. Later dudes!

That was dinner.

I will now post POW and then continue with this message.

Please imagine a bunch of Command-T, mouse click, Command-C, click, click, Command-

V stuff here...

I haven't really put much thought into the actual time of posting POW. I think Kyle Nicholls

used to post on Sunday evening (Boston, MA time). I originally tried to post on Monday

morning (Dutch time) which was the closest practical time for me. But nowadays my

Monday mornings are usually devoted to unloading the dish washer and washing machine,

followed by trying and failing to leave the house in time for work.

I think I should be on time for afternoon tea or coffee break for the US East coast members

and in time for lunch for the West coast people. Assuming most members are from the

USA, that seems reasonable. People in the UK and a fair portion of Europe should still be

able to see POW on Monday evening. The rest of the world will indeed have to wait till

Tuesday.

Hi Patrick, I hope you didn't have to swallow your pasta. You've shown me how the life of a PN volunteer is like and I can now appreciate your work more. I've just made your life even more hectic, haven't I? Sorry!

12h00 CET Monday sounds better to me, that way hopefully the whole world can see it on Monday. Well, if you can manage. I don't want you to miss your lunch or anything. I understand a good Content Management System (CMS) allows you to automatically post stuffs on the web at a chosen time.

PS: any chance to see a group picture of the Elves? You've never met any of them in person, I bet. :o)

Lessons learned: never take things for granted. So you do get together at times, eh? But how come you all look the same? :o) And who's one that gives us a gift box when we pay our membership dues?

Happy holidays, Elves. Thanks for the hard work.