Can I Post-Heating D-76D Solution?

steven_woody

i am making d76-d but met problems. the ingredients can not easily

dissolved and i then put the solution on a fire ...

i began from 52C distilled water and put in every ingredient exactlly

in the order as instructed. but every ingredients seemed hard to be

fully resolved before adding another one. i could not image how many

time i should wait and the water temperature was going down.

so i did not wait and put the mixed solution on a fire and heat it to

about 80C. now it seems okay. but i dont know whether i've did any

harm to the solution and whether the solution is still usable.

another question is, my Borax is decahydrate (Disodium Tetraborate,

decahydrate), is it right?

I would say, the proof is in the pudding with your developer- try some on unimportant film and see what it does.

When mixing Kodak's D76, it doesn't always dissolve 100%. I'll usually see teensy little particles still swirling in it- but they'll be gone the next day.

Solubility generally goes up as temperature increases. If the final solution were intended to be a super-saturated solution, you would run the risk of one or more ingredients crystallizing out as it sat at room temperature (especially with teensy crystals left swirling!) From this, I deduce that the final solution is not supersaturated, and that the heating is to make it dissolve faster, not that it's required to get it to dissolve, period.

I've found this below a basic developer recipe from Photographers Formulary, it might help in mixing basic chemicals:

"Place the warm water in the storage container. Add a pinch of sodium sulfite; this amount retards the initial oxidation of the metol. If more sulfite is added at this point the metol will not dissolve. Add the metol then stir (or cap and shake the container) until all of the metol dissolves. Next add the remaining sodium sulfite and stir until dissolved. Add each of the remaining chemicals in the order shown, dissolving each one completely before adding the next one. Finally add cold water to bring the final volume up to 2000 ml. Be sure to stir the solution after adding the final portion of water to ensure that it is homogenous."

If it is still clear there is little reason to worry. If you had first heated the solution to 80 ?C and then stirred in the chemicals together with some air your developing agents would have been oxidized rapidly leaving behind a tan to brown colour cast. Been there, done that.

BTW.: Could please someone remove that shameless plug, thank you!

Best

Stefan