Rated Photos Not in the TOP PHOTOS LIST

kaushikphotography

I'm surprised there haven't been more people complaining about this, since it is a real problem with their system. I currently have a <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3730535">photo</a> that I posted two days ago that would currently be the top rated photo in the last 3 days under "rate recent avg", but is not even showing up in the list. I requested a critique immediately after uploading it. Within less than half an hour I got 6 anonymous ratings, but in that same amount of time I got 4 or 5 straight ratings. Since this has happened to me before, I think I've figured out that this is where the problem lies. If you get several ratings that aren't anonymous at the very beginning of your critique, it probably won't end up on the "rate recent avg" list. So when you submit a photo, hope that it's good but not so good that people viewing it with the other 15 thumbnails in the "newest critique requests" don't rate it.

Scott, you are correct. The ordering of images in the RFC queue is determined in part by how many ratings the image already has. If the purpose of the rating system is to filter out the best images of a given time period, the disqualification of an image because it has attracted rates through the views you mention is counterintuitive.

My most recent upload has ten rates, only one of which is direct, yet at least four must be off the category list since it doesn't appear in the 24-hour TRP.

Brian indicated recently that he would discontinue the ability to rate directly. If and when that happens, I hope that category rates will also be discontinued.

• 1 year later...
I had two abstract photos that showed up in the 'last 3 days' and 'last week', and then totaly disappeared when they became 'within last month', though their ratings were high. I'm not a rating 'junky', but its a little annoying since it helps with the visibility of your portfolio to have pics in the Top Photos, especially when looking for critiques.