Leica cult

edgar_njari

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first great strength of a good Leica, in my humble opinion, is simplicity of design. You've

basically got a fantastic viewfinder-rangefinder through which to see the world, with controls

for aperture, shutter speed and focus all in a discreet camera.

The second is superior, interchangeable glass. There are endless debates about who makes

the best lenses, but Leica lenses are of a quality that's so high that nobody could possibly

dismiss them.

I'm not aware of any cult. Leicas are extremely well made cameras. They last for decades of regular use with occasional service. The lenses are consistently among the best available and often better than anything else available. The viewfinder is a joy to use. The camera is very small , quiet and therefore unobtrusive. And best of all, I'm not aware that L Ron Hubbard ever used one. ;-)

For some, I suppose, it's the history and nostalgia. For me it's the lens.

I just got through doing a comparison of my Nikkor 50/f1.8 (supposedly one of Nikon's sharpest lenses), a new Nikkor 45/f2.8 ( a newer design) and my 7 year old Leica Z2x point and shoot. The lowly Leica 35-70 zoom lens made the 45/f2.8 look pathetic and it was at least as good as the 50/f1.8 prime.

The 45/f2.8 cost me $299 new. Leica Z2x's are going for $25 on ebay. Figure that one out! Fortunately I was able to return the 45/f2.8.

aw cmon Bernard, the 45mm is a specialty pancake lens which makes no pretense at optical quality. Interesting to see the Leica approaches the 50/1.8 prime though; seems like modern zooms have pretty much killed the prime advantage, to the chagrin of the purists like me (I only carry one lens with my camera, for either weight and clumsiness reasons or because it's fixed (Fuji GW690))

>Peter White , aug 11, 2005; 06:08 p.m.

>I'm not aware of any cult.

No member of a cult would admit being in a cult, either. Believe me, there is plenty of

cult-like activity around Leica. Not to mention plenty of fondling and wanking.

But, if you like a great tool that does a specific job well, you will like this camera.

Actually, I think that if you stretch your mind a little, the reference to "secret handshake" has something to it. The secret handshake is what I get when I pick up an M3/2/4/6. I don't get it from my M5, though I think it's a better user machine than any Leica until the M7 came along. I don't get it from an M7 or M6TTL, though they're close. I don't get it from Nikons or Canons, though they're very fine machines with very fine optics. Even when I try to shake the habit and go cold turkey, there's something about how everything just works that keeps me coming back and picking them up.j

Combine that with great optics and you've got something worth coming to, and coming back to.

Leicas are old fashioned. The M design is over 50 years old. The design is history, and Leicas have a long involvement with history, both in Photo J and Art photography. The design and engineering, to me, are German to the core-from the rounded sides, like some Bauhaus buildings, and the present Audi sportscar, to the ridiculously conservative film loading system which a user has to master. My M3 is built like a truck; everything feels solid and heavy. Unlike contemporary German cars, it is simply built, like a tractor.

It's also *different*. It resembles no serious camera that is on the market today. I like that. The rangefinder is a very accurate way to focus, showing off the lenses, which are superb.

And it has a mystique, without which this forum probably would not exist. I have fallen prey to it, and I'm very glad I did.

Leica Cult is a phenomenon that a Jappanese Panasounic manufactured Leica Z2x made nikon 50mm/1.8 looks pathetic.

>>>>>bernard korites , aug 11, 2005; 06:16 p.m.

For some, I suppose, it's the history and nostalgia. For me it's the lens.

I just got through doing a comparison of my Nikkor 50/f1.8 (supposedly one of Nikon's sharpest lenses), a new Nikkor 45/f2.8 ( a newer design) and my 7 year old Leica Z2x point and shoot. The lowly Leica 35-70 zoom lens made the 45/f2.8 look pathetic and it was at least as good as the 50/f1.8 prime.

The 45/f2.8 cost me $299 new. Leica Z2x's are going for $25 on ebay. Figure that one out! Fortunately I was able to return the 45/f2.8.<<<<<

it's about owning and using the best of something.

it's about overbuilt equipment that your grandchildren will be able to use (if they still make film by then)

it's about something that's engineered so well, that it just feels good to use.

it's about the best optics in the world.

in the end it's about amazing photographs you might never have taken without a Leica.

Well, I'm something of a newb, so I'll give an answer a try.

Get one and shoot with one for a few months. That's the easiest way to understand the "cult" fanaticism.

Otherwise, we might note - excellent lenses; simplicity of design; no "features"; just you and your wits and aperture + shutter speed + focus; small lenses fit into a tiny bag or into your jacket pockets in cooler weather; quiet silk shutter; no mirror slap vibration when taking a picture; tank like construction; shooting with just a few excellent prime lenses or a single prime lens; see the world through a single focal length and zoom with your feet.

It is what it is. In a world of feature laden, mostly disposable cameras with zoom lenses, auto-everything and loose manufaturing tolerances, Leica bucks the trend in a big, big way.

Shooting with a Leica and a prime is just different and a real pleasure.

Long may Leica live. Try one out. It's not for everybody, but by gum, alot of folks really like it.

Scott

All the above answers and "it is the sound it makes when you press the shutter button", and know at that moment, you are using some of the finest lenses ever made...it just sends chills down the spine. Then you see the results, critically analyze how you could have done better, grab the camera again and go out to repeat the sequence. It grows on you in a special way. I don't like the "cult" thought, but you will always be recognized as somebody "unique" when people spot your camera...particularly if it is a rangefinder model.

<I>...but you will always be recognized as somebody "unique" when people spot your

camera</I><P>

Bingo!<P>

I know this is at odds with the cult, but I'd rather have somebody comment on how unique

my prints are.

www.citysnaps.net