For fun: HP5 pushed to 3200 in HC-110

Hey Guys,

Didn't have anything to do this evening and it was too hot to go out.

So I thought I have some fun with a roll of HP5 and the only

developer I had HC-110.

I shot some pics around the apartment and developed in HC-110 1:63

for 19mins with 2inversions every five mins, even with the air con on

it was 24C.

I know that the light is fairly good but I don't think that the

results are too shabby (I'm a newbie at this so my standards are

fairly low).

What do you guys reckon? I think'll I'll play about some more.

Rav.<div>00Ckce-24456884.jpg.f05c8563f1f4922cda09536576cac7a4.jpg</div>

Rav-

Very interesting idea. Can you share a small piece of a 100% scan with us...something at 1000 dpi or more? I'd be interested in seeing the grain structure up close. Overall, though, pretty amazing stuff given just how far you stretched the film. (I prefer the version before you ran it through the noise reduction filter...the grain adds something, in my opinion.)

Be well.

Dave

<p>Interesting. I tried it at 3200 in Microphen a while ago. Contrast is pretty high...

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/romosoho/image/30067137">Memorial Church</a><br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/romosoho/image/23089849">Jess's Wedding</a>

<p>I think it would work pretty well in a low light but not-so-terrible contrast setting, such as your kitchen. But in high contrast situations, the shadow detail disappears.

<p>allan

Hello Guys,

What I have done is taken the original scan and inverted it desaturated it and then just tweaked the levels and nothing else. I don't know to much about sharpening so haven't played about with that yet.

Here is the full frame and a crop in the post below. I thought I better do this again so that the crop would be from the same process.

Any comments. I also thought that the film would breakdown a lot more than this. And Dave as you do I prefer the version before the grain reduction, can't explain why just do.

I think I will try it in other poor lighting. Allen I also think that it might be a function of the low contrast of the kitchen. I will try it in some extreme lighting. Also I kinda guessed at the times and the agitation, so there maybe some improvement there.

Does anyone have any comments on how this has turned out over Delta3200? I will grab a roll of that from the fridge and try that as well.

Can I ask what information we gain from looking at the grain structure at 100%, still trying to learn myself.

Thanks,

Rav<div>00ClAz-24471284.jpg.40abbdc41fe6a95a4be0206449fb2f94.jpg</div>

Rav-<br><br>

Thank you very much for taking the time to scan and post those samples. I have to admit that I'm amazed (and a little stunned!) at how well these turned out. The grain has a much nicer character than I would have expected, and the shots are lovely. I'll be trying this combination myself very soon.<br><br>Be well.<br>Dave

• 2 weeks later...