Looking for a storefront server....any suggestions

I am looking for a storefront to post pictures for my customers where

they can order directly from a lab. So far I have looked into

Printroom and Shutterfly Pro. Does anyone else have any ideas or

recommendations? Thanks for your help....

Emily,

Are you a wedding/B'nai Mitzvah shooter? Do you shoot film or digital? Are you going to assume the people ordering have broadband connections? Will it simply take orders, or do you want charge card processing?

All of these things come into play: I'm in the process of assembling a server and software for a photo lab that is a customer of mine, for him to put online his studio customers' portfolios for THEIR customers.

Cheers!

Dan

Dan - Thanks for your response. I am looking for a server where I can post my customers (seniors, children & families) proofs so they can order their final prints directly from a lab. I would like to set the prices and password protect the pictures. I don't do a ton of business yet so I would rather pay a commission fee. I would like to have paypal and/or credit card processing... Does that help??? I have found a few different sites but I wanted to check all of my options and get peoples opinions before I sign up.

Hi Emily! <br><br>

OK, so you are a portrait photographer. Next question is what is your workflow? Do you shoot color print &/or B&W film; or do you shoot digital?

<br><br>

If you shoot digital, do you shoot JPEG or TIFF, or do you shoot "Camera RAW" (CCD-RAW)? Do you edit the photos in Photoshop, or do you give the lab the RAW files?

<br><br>

I'm asking these questions because, as I mentioned above, I'm laying out and building a server for a small commercial lab in the next few weeks. Since I'll be owning and hosting the server and providing the service to the lab -- It will be at a location with a 3 megabit sDSL connection -- I can host individual photographers' online portfolio and sales.

<br><br>

I haven't decided yet on how to handle charge card transactions: For the lab, they have a Visa/MC/AmEx terminal; but Paypal is another option, especially for photographers who don't process their own credit/debit cards.

<br><br>

Also, I'm absolutely anal retentive when it comes to computer security: For example, I routinely run penetration tests against the servers I maintain, to assure that they are hack-proof. Try hacking <a href = "http://www.focusphotolabs.com/" target = "_blank"><b>this server.</b></a>

<br><br>

Cheers! <br>

Dan Schwartz <br>

Visit my <a href = "http://users.snip.net/~joe/default.htm" target = "_blank"><b>humorous home page!</b></a><br>

NOTE: All links open in a new window...<br>

I shoot digital only and typically do JPEG files. I also manipulate the photos in photoshop. I am just starting out so I have only one session a week. I am in the process of building a studio so by the first of the year I should have more business.

Hi Emily!

Shooting digital simplifies the workflow tremendously, as you don't have to worry about mailing film in the hot summer months, or relying on a local lab that may have dodgy scanning services.

I suggest you buy a monitor calibrator: The basic Spyder kit is $99, and that's all you need for your CRT to bring it to a gamma of 2.2 and a white point of 6500k.

Whichever lab you choose, make sure you download their ICC profile for their digital output device: This way, what you see on your calibrated screen will be what is delivered to the customer.